U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times

Advertisements

Gee, I knew there was a reason so many have come to make their home at SJP..... just a little math on a calculator shows what we found long ago, that when you add it all up there is no free lunch anywhere.... it isn't any more expensive than many of the others, but with so many more amenities and activities.

However..... however.... I think I'm going to take a different course now. After much contemplation and speaking to others here at SJP, I believe there are just about enough people here. We don't really need any more to come here, it will just get crowded.... besides, as so many have noted it IS a bit too perfect.... what with the manicured landscaping and nicely kept homes.... and then there aren't any huge RV's and boats in the driveways it sort of gives an uneasy / erie feeling.... why should anyone subject themselves to that.... in addition, unlike MANY of the other communities in the area, the place may just be a bit too financially sound for some people's liking. Anyhow, more people will just gum up the works and well, why go through all that ? I think I prefer to keep it just as it is and not subject too many more people to all the downfalls of the place. No more cheerleading..... please just stay away.... we may even start a campaign to have them take down the for sale signs outside on the highway..... there are so many others to choose from, there is no need to come here and disrupt our lifestyle, please leave us in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 04:58 PM

224 posts, read 432,231 times
Stoney: Be careful, you are beginning to sound a lot like "Leroy" from a few years back! lol

Old 12-08-2012, 07:27 PM

720 posts, read 1,491,433 times
No need to be nasty, Snottey---I mean Stoney

Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Poodle, not nasty, not snotty.... just being real..... please stay away... terrible place... too expensive.... too nice.... too manicured. Don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable.... too many other nice places to live down here.

In fact we had another horrible evening in Southport. 16 of us went into Southport to take the decorated home tour ( for charity ) walked from home to home from 3 - 5 pm..... then we all went over to Fishy Fishy for another absolutely bang-up dinner with live entertainment and watched the flotilla of christmas lighted boats going down the waterway through the picture window of the restaurant's bar. There were several hundred attendees walking the tour and many of them were not from St James but from Southport and the other communities / plantations in the area, so living at St James was not a pre-requisite for attending the festivities. So.... move to the Southport area, it's a nice area, bunches of nice people living there... please just stay away from St James for the aforementioned reasons.

BTW Goldy1..... the fact that you were able, out of a couple of thousand homes in St James, to find "one" 15 year old house, in a flood zone, on Beaver Creek that you might, just might be able to tolerate is encouraging... I suppose.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,654,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Poodle, not nasty, not snotty.... just being real..... please stay away... terrible place... too expensive.... too nice.... too manicured. Don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable.... too many other nice places to live down here.

In fact we had another horrible evening in Southport. 16 of us went into Southport to take the decorated home tour ( for charity ) walked from home to home from 3 - 5 pm..... then we all went over to Fishy Fishy for another absolutely bang-up dinner with live entertainment and watched the flotilla of christmas lighted boats going down the waterway through the picture window of the restaurant's bar. There were several hundred attendees walking the tour and many of them were not from St James but from Southport and the other communities / plantations in the area, so living at St James was not a pre-requisite for attending the festivities. So.... move to the Southport area, it's a nice area, bunches of nice people living there... please just stay away from St James for the aforementioned reasons.

BTW Goldy1..... the fact that you were able, out of a couple of thousand homes in St James, to find "one" 15 year old house, in a flood zone, on Beaver Creek that you might, just might be able to tolerate is encouraging... I suppose.
You are the biggest cheerleader there is for St. James and are starting to
sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about something.

why not just be respectful of people not finding St. James to their liking?

Plantations are created by sales people who creates an illusion of an neighborhood
with broad sidewalks, dinner at the bay club , golf at noon , etc. don't feel bad
that this is the world you have chosen to live in but it might not be
what everyone is looking for.
Your posts of worshipping/promoting St. James plantation have run for a very looong time
and we get it, you are just gobsmacked by all the luxury and security of the place.
good for you!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 AM

Gobsmacked..... hmmm, had to look that one up !

But maybe yer right. Who the heck am I anyway, just another outsider down here in this wonder of the Southland. I'm not a salesman for the place or the area, I'm not making a living from any of this, I don't get a commission from anything. I can't help it if I like it here, I can't help it if everyone I meet likes it here and ALMOST everyone that visits here wants to stay. But I have feelings too, starting to not sleep so well at at night.... when they tell me it's erie, creepy and uncomfortable when they drive through this place I wonder what they must feel when driving though some of the other communities that are not nearly as nice, amenity laden or well kept, many of which are relative ghost towns when it comes to new housing and people actually moving in.

So I think maybe it's better to lock the gate a bit more tightly and let things be as they are for a while, we just got the new transponder stickers installed on our windshields for automatic entry through the gates so I guess we're here for a while but no need to add to the traffic patterns here or in the area. Another one of my wife's girlfriends from NJ/college just bought the lot to the left of us last week and pretty soon we'll have neighbors on either side of us to contend with. I may have to rethink our landscaping plan, more trees at the rear on each side maybe, a little privacy while sitting on our back porch whilst puffing on a stogie and gazing at the 1,000 ft + long lagoon-like pond that traverses the rear yards of all the houses on our street would be nice, while there are hundreds of acres of protected woods past that pond and the same in front of our property, civilization still seems to be a' creepin' on in and bringing new people all the time...... maybe we'll just try and keep that to a minimum for now...... shhhhhhhh.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 12-09-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM

11,319 posts, read 19,940,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
while there are hundreds of acres of protected woods past that pond and the same in front of our property, civilization still seems to be a' creepin' on in and bringing new people all the time...... maybe we'll just try and keep that to a minimum for now...... shhhhhhhh.
Stoney (or others)-

1. Is the SJP property fenced all around? That is, could someone walk in through the woods.

2. Do you ever hear shooters or hunters in the woods?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 AM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
SJP is NOT for everyone. It is a very large community and some people do not like that. It also may not fit into everyone's budget. I am not planning to join the clubs initially because I won't get the bang for the buck as a part-time resident. I will enjoy the running trails, biking, eateries, beach club, pool at the beach club, fishing, marina and beautiful parks and surroundings (at no extra charge).

I priced a lot of communities and I did not think the cost of the homes at SJP were excessive. I must have seen 70 resales and ultimately decided to build. It ended up being about the same price, but I got the exact house I wanted and it was new. My only complaint with SJP is the traffic police, but you cant have everything (because where would you put it?).

The other big selling point for SJP, which can not be overstated, is that it is established. Many planned communities do not have their amenities in place, and given the housing market, you wonder when and if they will be built. With SJP what you see is what you get. Stone and I like what we see, and are glad to be owners. If you do not like what you see, there are many communities to look elsewhere. It is not for everyone, but given the high volume of new construction, a lot of people seem to like it.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM

150 posts, read 238,403 times
Hi,

I have been a “lurker” on this site since late July. Let me tell you how I got here and one day will be your new neighbor.

Back in July I ran in to an old friend of mine who told me that he and his wife just bought a lot in a place called “St James Plantation, North Carolina” and that it was near Wilmington. Being a Bostonian by birth, but living in Maryland and Virginia for the past 30 years, I said something like, “you are going to have slaves?” I do pass a historic plantation on my way to/from work every day so my association with slaves and plantations is framed by that. He told me that a lot of developments in the south are just called plantations. North Carolina is a place that I have liked for a long time. I have family in Charlotte a friend in Raleigh and have been to the Outer Banks so I have been exposed to the state. So I went home a Googled “St James Plantation, North Carolina” and looked at the mapping function to see where it was located. As I expanded out, I noticed the local airport, technically known as the “Cape Fear Regional Jetport/Howie Franklin Field Airport.” Being a private pilot and small plane owner, I was excited by this. Excited that if I moved here I would not have to deal with the draconian airspace rules near Washington, DC which has sucked the fun out of flying, not to mention that I would not have to face too many cold mornings where I have to rub the frost off the wings to fly. Just as a quick note, a thin layer of frost can cause a plane to crash as the rough surface of frost disrupts the airflow over the wings which is how “lift is created.” This is true for Cessna's as well as Boeing 747s.

I then found the SJP website (actually several of them including this one) and I did some exploring. I am not a golfer or a tennis player, well, not a good golfer or tennis player anyway. But there was something I liked about the “exclusivity” of the golf course environment. I do not have kids, but have always lived in communities with excellent schools as those communities seem better to me. SJP is like this but with good golf vice good schools. And since I do not have to have a golf membership, all the better. My friend who told me about SJP really like the idea of a gated community, I was not in thrilled at the idea (for example no state funding for roads – in much of NC the roads are maintained by the state – just like Virginia), but when I did research on crime in Brunswick County, I could see the big advantage of the gated community concept. I want to thank the members of this site for doing so much research that I used!

In August I visited a “Southern Living Show” held in Northern Virginia which allowed me to visit SJP for only $99 and have a $50 gift certificate for food at the clubs.

Just before Labor Day weekend, I drove down to Raleigh and then on to SJP with my friend from Raleigh. We arrived Saturday morning after checking out Wilmington's river front. It seemed nice, a much smaller version of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. After the not too long drive from Wilmington to SJP we checked in and then headed over to the beach house. Parking was tight but we got a space and checked things out. As I walked in the 82 degree water I said to my friend that “they had me!”. It was so nice. I really like the idea that SJP was near, but not on the beach as insurance costs would be lower and the chance of flooding would be reduced. Hurricane Sandy and the damage it inflicted to NY/NJ just proved out my theory. The drive from the Seaside entrance was easy and traffic free. We drove back the other way to see how bad the traffic that I had read about on NC-133. And compared to the traffic of the DC area, it was nothing. After that we drove around SJP checking out some of the open model homes.

Saturday evening we were at a “Private Reception” at Woodlands Park Amphitheater, It was interesting because as we were sitting around the table introducing ourselves, I met a man who is a friend of my boss at work (small world) – they did not buy at SJP. The other couple was also from the DC area. I enjoyed the community spirit at the concert that followed.

Sunday morning brought us to Tommy Thompson's for breakfast. Great food, prices and service. I wish we ate outside. After that we met with the Real Estate agent (the same one my friends used) . He gave me what I imagine is the standard pitch, but took the time to listen to my requirements. It was sort of drinking from a fire hose. Lots of information presented. We drove around and checked out a home or two and lots of lots including my friends lot. I kept noticing that during my tour we kept running in to another agent with two couples. Actually in three different areas of the plantation.

After the official tour we had lunch on the outside deck of the Members Club, great view, Food was good as well. We later took a complementary boat ride on the ICW (sold again – I need a friend with a boat!). The ICW was beautiful. After the boat ride we looked at some of the lots ourselves. As I was taking pictures of the lots in Ellington, I was “attacked” by mosquitoes so I ruled those lots out, they also lacked the tall trees I was looking for.

I like the Woodlands Park section best. It sort of reminded me of Cape Cod with tall Pine trees and sandy soil. I narrowed it down to three lots on a cul-de-sac and three lots across the street from Woodlands Park parking lot and next to the model homes.

We had dinner that night at the Reserve Club Grill. It was great! We ordered the most expensive food on the menu and the total cost was something like $57 (neither of us drink) 50 of which was covered by the gift certificate. On the way out we noticed the two couples who were looking at property the same time we were and another couple who was on the boat with us. We had a great discussion. I learned that the two couples were related, The two women were sisters and two men were their husbands and they were going to buy two of the three lots on the cul-de-sac. We all had a good time and they thought we would make great neighbors. They told me that one couple lives in Connecticut and the husband is a Yankee fan, the other couple lives in New Hampshire and the husband is a Red Sox fan. I asked if they knew who was going to buy which lot. They had did not. My request is that I rather live next to a Red Sox fan! We all laughed and I learned that the lot I ultimately bought is next to the Red Sox fan!!!!

I have read about the $15k coast to get in to SJP. For what it is worth, the weekend I agreed to buy my lot, there was a “sale” where SJP picked up that cost. I do not have any idea if they have done that before or will do it again, but I look forward to visiting in a couple of weeks with a friend of mine and his wife as they explore SJP!

I am scheduled to retire in 3 years and 1 month (not that I am counting). I look for ward to meeting my future neighbors one of these days. In the meantime I know I have lots of questions to ask and hopefully I can use your experience in home building to guide me. Any Pilots out there?

Thanks,

PilotPaul

Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM

11,319 posts, read 19,940,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
We all laughed and I learned that the lot I ultimately bought is next to the Red Sox fan!!!!

I have read about the $15k coast to get in to SJP. For what it is worth, the weekend I agreed to buy my lot, there was a “sale” where SJP picked up that cost.
I am glad you are happy with your purchase. It's also great to hear there deals on the $15K membership fee. I assume you have to pay full price for the lot to get a deal like that.

Regarding mosquitoes-- they are everywhere. When you start building, it is a good idea to plan for a screened porch. I would also ask if SJP does spraying to control mosquitoes. You can also have your lot sprayed by a private company. It also helps to keep the underbrush trimmed, as they multiply on the leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina