U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM

152 posts, read 239,711 times

Advertisements

Pony and Texas - Thanks for the kind welcome. Looking forward to meeting all of the guys and gals of SJP! I won't be a full time resident until 2016. I plan on retiring in early 2016 and plan to build shortly thereafter, at least that is the plan today!

I bought lot 45 on Sugar Maple Court. It is the lot to the right of the only house on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM

169 posts, read 520,815 times
Welcome all, I have a request, my wife and I are the editors of Cat-Tales, we now have a new staff writer to do interviews of newcomers. If you would like to be profiled in Cat-Tales, send me a private message or use the Cat-Tales editor's email cttalesed@gmail.com. we would also welcome articles from newcomers as well as established residents. After all, St. James is not just a place to live, it's also a lifestyle. Who knows that better than those who live here?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
Ok, took a spin by everyone's lot this AM.... Moss Hammock and Sugar Maple, good news to report, they are all still there and intact.... grass growing and everything.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 AM

383 posts, read 747,277 times
Default That a relief

Thanks Stone,

I was worried that the squirrels ate all the pine cones.

Regards,

Pony

Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Stoney - Thanks for checking out the property.

Since it is still there, I guess, I have to pay my POA fees!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 AM

I know some of you just recently built your homes in SJP. I remember Stoney saying that his builder installed a high quality HVAC system. So now that you have had some cold nights in SJP this season are you pleased with the performance of your heat pump? When I lived in Maryland, I had a heat pump and the air from the furnace was never hot, but sort of cool. In Virginia I have gas heat in my house and the air is "toasty." Is electricity (electric coils) used as the "Emergency" heat or did you use propane. And speaking of propane, I know many homes have propane fueled fire places and stove tops. Did you bury your tank? How big a tank did you buy/rent? And how much does propane cost (it must cost less than the $15 on a per pound/gallon basis than I paid to refill my 20 lb bbq tank)?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM

111 posts, read 208,906 times
I don't live in St. James but I'm right across the Intracoastal so I'm subject to the same weather and I find my 5 year old Train heat pumps can't keep up if the temps are much less than 40 degrees or so, they keep running almost continuously. I have two separate systems, one for each floor and they both operate the same. The newer units might be a bit better, something to look into.

When it gets much below 30 or so the "electric" side of the heat comes on which certainly heats the house but the electric side is costly to run.

I do have a vent-less fireplace which runs on propane and I use all the time in the winter when I find the heat pumps working too hard and the electric heat is coming on, MUCH more economical.

Ron W.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 AM

11,324 posts, read 19,971,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
When I lived in Maryland, I had a heat pump and the air from the furnace was never hot, but sort of cool.
Our heat pump here in Sneads Ferry works well, but its airflow is cooler than a gas furnace would be. It's just the nature of a heat pump. We had natural gas in Maryland, and I prefer it, but it is not available in coastal NC.

I also recommend getting a second heat pump if your second floor is about the same size as the first. It results in much more even heat and cooling. The summers here are definately hotter and longer than in Maryland.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Ron - I appreciate you getting back to me with your experiences with the Heat Pump. I recall my old heat pump always running too. Maryland was on the northern fringe of where Heat Pumps can operate, I was hoping NC would be better.

Goldenage1 - I also appreciate your advice. With the summers being so hot down there, I think I will invest in a very efficient Heat Pump.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM

111 posts, read 208,906 times
Paul,

Just check around, there may be more efficient heat pumps out there now. My particular units are about 5-6 years old.

Budget permitting getting two is another good idea. Better balance if a 2 story and you have back up.

Best of luck.

Ron W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina