U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 09:44 PM

2,766 posts, read 7,187,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Just back from a week where I played the Reserve Course at St James and Panthers Run at Ocean Ridge. I too am interested in both communities and see good things in both. Just eliminated Winding River so now it is down to the two of them. Any further input or observations would be appreciated.
caco54, Why did you eliminate Winding River?

Playing Carolina National is on our "to do" list. We hear it is in pretty good shape given this difficult season.

The Winding River development looks lovely, although the lot prices seem quite high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 AM

854 posts, read 1,469,593 times
Winding River was nice but appeared to me to be too isolated. Far from retail and the beach. Greens were shot and almost un puttable. We should have been told that by the golf packager as we would have played a different track. I played it back in March and enjoyed it but it was a tough summer.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 AM

844 posts, read 2,642,295 times
What are the HOA's fees and taxes for these two developments?

Thank you

Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 AM

2,766 posts, read 7,187,237 times
Quote:
Winding River was nice but appeared to me to be too isolated. Far from retail and the beach. Greens were shot and almost un puttable. We should have been told that by the golf packager as we would have played a different track. I played it back in March and enjoyed it but it was a tough summer.
Sorry to hear about the greens. Seems a lot of the courses, particularly those with bentgrass greens, had serious problems this year. We played Tigers Eye this spring and the greens were awful.

Hubby played Crow Creek in July and it was fine, when we were there in Sept. Crow Creek was shut down completely because the greens were in such poor shape.

Panthers Run was shut down most of the summer and by Sept. was in pretty good shape.

We also heard that 2 of the Barefoot courses were in rough shape too.

I always check MBgolftalk to get info before we go.

I hear you about Winding River, I guess the remoteness appeals to a lot of people. I am more of a busybody and need to be a little closer to the action!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 70,979 times
Quote:
Thanks for your "local builder" perspective. One question, do the land owners come to you with plans or do you offer plans to them? How often does OR reject what land owners or builders present? Coming from the north where basements are the norm are they out of the question in that area because of water table or is it just something that is not in vogue down there? Thanks again for your input.
We work with folks who have plans and with those that need plans. The core group of designers we work with have the initials after their names that ORP requires. The good and the bad of the ORP ASC is you're not going to bully them into putting what you want but does not go with the neighborhood. This is something most often appreciated after you're living their and they won't let your neighborhood build the A-Frame he's always wanted (that's an exaggeration). Most of us know what they're looking for and design accordingly. In the end they are somewhat flexible if you show you're trying to work with them, not against them.

Basements are only possible here where you have the ability to have a "walk-out" type situation. We can certainly design basement that will keep the water out but I doubt we'd be able to get the basement in before the water table here made us opt to turn it into a pool instead.

Thanks for considering a builders opinion.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 AM

15 posts, read 70,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

While I don't live in ORP, I do live nearby. 10 years ago I visited here for the first time. 6 months later I came back and brought property. 2 1/2 years ago we moved here. to a person, everyone we have met in these 10 years has said the same thing,"I wish I could, woulda, shoulda, moved here sooner.

Best of luck in your decision.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard this....

Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 AM

53 posts, read 179,638 times
Sounds like all you guys made the right moves and are very happy. Congrats to all. My next question a little unique. Is anyone "sorry" they made the move to their retirement community? What didn't they research that they wish they did before purchasing their home?
I have my 2 best friends who are a few years older than me who have purchased homes in St James and the other in Winding River and they seem very happy.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM

I haven't made the move yet but every time I am down there I talk to everyone I can and ask a lot of questions. One of the things that gets mentioned is the distance from the "grand kids". Some have said that they all come down over the summer but grandma can't come over to babysit when needed. That seems to be one of the complaints. Another seems to be when there is a death or illness they seem to move back north again to be near family and medical care.

I am 5 years from retirement. I plan on renting for the Winter (Oct to May) when I retire and 2-3 weeks over the summer to be sure this is where I want to be. Once I get that resolved I am there. I do not believe there is any "price risk" in waiting as I do not believe housing prices will rise over the next 5 years. Too much inventory and too many sellers "in waiting". Right now it is OR and St James with OR in the lead. I so look forward to that next chapter of my life.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM

53 posts, read 179,638 times
Cool Choices

If you don't mind me asking why did you decide on Ocean Ridge vs St James plantation.??

I just heard today they want to close Tommy Thompsons (the nice bar) from November till March.
Why are they doing that?? Where else is there a nice little watering hole like Tommys??

Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 PM

Once again my answer is "weak" because I like both developments. St James feels isolated to me. The drive down 211 from 17 seems endless. Southport is a cute town but that is all. Oak Island is nice but I like Sunset Beach better. The beach club for St James is nicer with the pool and plenty of parking but Sunset Beach is smaller and more intimate. I like OR's being closer to all that Myrtle and North Myrtle Beach have to offer. More golf courses close to OR and a wide range of greens fees. I like that OR is single family homes only but fear they may change that restriction if sales don't pick up. Quality of courses in both are about a push however the Reserve may put St James over the top. Slight concern on the amount of outside play at OR. OR appears to have 3 exits/entrances on three different roads where ST James is tied to 211. I like the Marina at St James but the retail establishments may go bust.

I have said no to Sandpiper, Brunswick and Sea Trail. Right now it is OR, St James and Winding River a distant third. I have plenty of time to make a decision but interested in others thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina