U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM

10 posts, read 20,618 times

Advertisements

70 degrees, you are killing me CrimsonD... Well, I'll be heading down to S. America for fishing and good weather end of the months. I shall return in May to put up my house for sale. Praying for a quick sale and I hope this is my last freezing cold winter in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 PM

383 posts, read 746,551 times
Just out of curiosity, where is Regency Lakes located in SJP? Is this a cottage section like Seaside or are they larger homes? I think it is near Players Club, but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Pony

Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 AM
ESN

27 posts, read 62,239 times
Recgency Lakes is open now. Right within the 1st gate on Rt. 211 (not the main gate). Every home looks the same. Right across from the Players Club gym....

Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 PM

383 posts, read 746,551 times
Default Regency Lakes

Do you know what streets are in this area and if they have houses or cottages. I think Aqua bought a lot there.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 AM

169 posts, read 520,297 times
They are houses, there are several models and most have water views. They are part of Regency Park. Regency Crossing runs through the middle and crosses Players club drive. I live on Bradford Circle just off of Regency Crossing. I was just there photographing the new community gardens for Cat Tales. The new bridge is nearly finished and Players Club will once again be connected to St. James Drive, woot.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
Default Why are there so many new-ish houses on the market?

We're seriously thinking of relocating to SJP. Mostly, everything looks great and people sound happy there. But there are a large number of fairly new (5 to 7 year-old) houses on the market. Why? Why are so many people wanting to leave their new, possibly custom-built homes? It certainly isn't because they think they'll make a profit.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

169 posts, read 520,297 times
Many people learn that being far from friends and family isn't for them and they move back. St. James population exceeds 3,500 as of the last census and growing. There are more than a hundred new homes under construction right now so I would say we are expanding rather than contracting. bill

Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM

11,320 posts, read 19,944,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy51 View Post
But there are a large number of fairly new (5 to 7 year-old) houses on the market. Why? Why are so many people wanting to leave their new, possibly custom-built homes? It certainly isn't because they think they'll make a profit.
We can also speculate that the unexpected death of a spouse forces a sale.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times
As CrimsonDregs points out, some people simply do not like the lifestyle and/or being away from family/children "back home", plantation living in the Carolinas is just not for everyone, sometimes it's the climate or whatever, pick a reason. But if you look at every other plantation down here, they ALL have used homes 0 to 7 years old for sale and there are many, many other reasons why. Here are a few more just off the top of my head;

Unfortunately people pass away..... one party passes unexpectedly OR naturally as the case may be.... the surviving partner has a choice/decision, to stay or leave and go to live near or with relatives, this happens all the time in every community anywhere in the country. I am reminded of this as it just happened to an aquaintance here in St James last week, the couple moved into their brand new home just about 6 months ago and the husband passed away suddenly and unexpectedly last week, who knows what the surviving wife will do in that situation..... very unfortunate but it happens all the time, everywhere.

After speaking with many people here, sometimes people downsize too severely when they first come here and build..... sometimes they just want a different location, golf course, pond, marina, waterway, etc..... after living in the house for a while they realize they should have built a bit bigger or on a different lot and they decide to build a new home and move in and then put the "old" one up for sale.... happens all the time.

Then there are financial reasons of every type. Perhaps they simply figured incorrectly about their projected retirement income and/or expenses..... perhaps their portfolio has been negatively affected by the economy, taxes, stock market, expected retirement income/pension from their job or business, etc, etc...... forcing another unexpected decision about their future.

Directly next door to the house we are building, the very nice couple, in their mid 70's, decided after 8 years here that they wanted to live their "last years" ( their words ) back home near their umpteen grandchildren. They just put their 8 year old home up for sale so they can realize that new dream.

All of these reasons, and I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of, point to why there are used homes just a few years old for sale in all of these communities.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM

15,154 posts, read 19,204,840 times
When we looked at SJP, we spoke to two sellers while we were casually walking around the area. Both were moving for the same reason: A variety of shopping, restaurants, beauty salons, movie theaters, etc were too far away. The regular drives to Wilmington were getting expensive and tedious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina