U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times

Advertisements

Yep... there's that too, understandable, maybe they just don't like the location.

As I was driving around this afternoon, in the crisp 60+ degree and sunny weather, gently puffing on a Macanudo Baron de Rothchild with the fragrant smoke gently wafting out the drivers window..... in fact, as I may have mentioned earlier, there are many other plantations to choose from and my personal opinion, after thinking on it some, is that there may just be too many people here already.... perhaps choosing another community closer to a variety of shopping ( although for the life of me I still cannot fathom what these people are shopping for all the time, maybe they need a hobby ) may just be the best thing for new people coming down here.

As for restaurants, beauty salons and movie theaters.... we gots all of them a plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
I think it is simply just scale. If you have a few thousand homes in a plantation even if 100 are for sale it is a low percentage. Also, with the trend towards smaller carriage homes, some owners want to transition to those homes because they have no maintenance and they don't want to have to maintain a large residence.

One thing I have noticed is even in this economy, which is improving, the homes in good locations are selling and the construction is booming. It is certainly an attractive community.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Yes PonyPride the size thing works that way too, there are quite a number of people buying smaller homes in the Seaside section after living in and selling a larger home somewhere else in St James for some number of years. You are also correct about the number.... there are to be exact 79 single family homes for sale right now which is a fairly low percentage for a place with over 2500.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM

150 posts, read 238,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
Well another day in paradise temperatures in the upper 70s and sunny. Had lunch in Southport and worked on Cat Tales (february will soon be finished and on its way to all you POA members and available on the POA website.) Life is Good.

Hi Crimson,

I received my February edition of Cat Tales today. I really enjoy reading it to see what is going on in SJP. I appreciate your work as well as the rest of those who put Cat Tales together.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM

169 posts, read 520,222 times
Thanks for the kind words. We (the volunteers) like hearing that our efforts are paying off.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM

So I have over 1/2 a foot of snow and it is snowing like crazy. My wife asked me to go out and help her shovel. I want to board a plane to NC and hang out at my warm lot. Snow is for skiers and I am not a skier.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM

PonyPride, unfortunately, this afternoon was sunny and short sleeve weather in the Reserve..... about 68 degrees.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 PM

2,415 posts, read 3,390,117 times
I think any inventory at St James is a product of the economy the past few years. There was just not as much demand to move south because of the housing/credit issues nationwide. I don't think its a reflection of St James at all, which has a really bright future IMO...as does that whole area of Oak Island, Southport and the 211 corridor.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 AM

I agree HP, but if you examine the inventory there are two other interesting factors. First a large percentage of the inventory is in the portion of the community that are in flood plain. Being in a potential hurricane zone, that could raise peoples fears and their insurance premiums. Second, many of the houses have not had price drops. People keep them on the market at the price they were listed for a year or so back. They may not be anxious to move and thus have not moved the asking price to compete in the market. The community is solid, beautiful and one of the nicest communities I have ever seen.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM

PonyPride, there are massive quantities of stacked up, oblong, masonry objects scattered all over your property..... if I am not mistaken they just may be the makings of your foundation, as they closely resemble cement blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina