U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM

15 posts, read 71,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I like that OR is single family homes only but fear they may change that restriction if sales don't pick up.
I would not want to be around for the ensuing blood bath should that even be mentioned among Ocean Ridge residents. If it got to that, there would be worse problems in this country to worry about than ORP changing any single family to multi-family.

We are having our Parade of Homes this week and next week. There are a few homes in both Ocean Ridge and St. James. There is also at least one in Winding River. Come visit us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 11,337 times
SJ and ORP are both great. ORP on 17 and close to Myrtle. If you play golf, you may find it less expensive to play a variety of courses near ORP and Myrtle as oppose to joining and playing SJ, although those courses are nice. Seems like ORP has more options

Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM

859 posts, read 1,474,103 times
Coastal Builder, do you think that land owners in OR have something in their deeds and restrictions that prevent the developer of OR from putting in multi family units?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Coastal Builder, do you think that land owners in OR have something in their deeds and restrictions that prevent the developer of OR from putting in multi family units?
I asked around this weekend and no one really knew what their deeds and restrictions said about multi-family. Knowing the developer there is probably something in there that reserves the right to put in multi-family. While that may be, zoning and popular opinion will make it much more difficult to implement. If I find out more I'll be sure to post here. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Coastal Builder can I tap into your wealth of knowledge for one more question. Would there be a major difference in the quality of construction of a home in Ocean Ridge today, 5, 10 or 15 years ago? I am wondering if there were any significant changes in the building codes over that time period. Thanks

Old 10-21-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Coastal Builder can I tap into your wealth of knowledge for one more question. Would there be a major difference in the quality of construction of a home in Ocean Ridge today, 5, 10 or 15 years ago? I am wondering if there were any significant changes in the building codes over that time period. Thanks
No problem. The very short answer is - Yes. Although it will vary by builder, generally speaking the quality, finishes and most important, the efficiency of the homes, have improved over the years. Although inherent quality improvement and building code changes don't necessarily go hand in hand, the code does continue to force a better constructed home even some bottom feeder builders. Consider just one example...

Heating & Cooling
The code over the last few years has mandated higher duct R-value and more efficient units. As of January 2006 all US units were mandated to be a SEER 13 or higher, with Energy STAR being a 14 SEER or higher. A home built several years ago could have as low as a 9 SEER system. A 13 SEER system is 30% more efficient than a 9 SEER and ultimately more comfortable. Additionally many builders are using better, tighter ductwork now and a few are building to the Energy STAR levels. All of this adds cost.

While historically it has almost always been a better value to buy an existing home, there are a few blips in history when that wasn't true. It is true right now. You can buy more home for less money than building. But just as some people prefer to buy a new car, for its advantages and disadvantages, many people will continue to build new for similar reasons.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 AM

53 posts, read 179,745 times
Was wondering if someone could give me a ball park idea what Homeowners Insurance would cost of a 500-550k home in St James or Ocean Ridge Plantation? Being they are both somewhat Coastal Communities are the rates very high? Just looking for a Ball Park number.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 AM

Was also wondering what the membership options run at both OR and St James for using pools and Health facilities at each location. What are the Golf options as well in each community. Someone told me it would run 700 dollars a month for unlimited golf at St James including health facilities and pools. Is this true? What would unlimited Golf at OR run with Health facilities and pools as well?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM

What does it cost for a membership at St James to play all the courses and use of pools and amenities??

Same with Ocean Ridge Plantation, any ball park numbers$$$$$$

Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM

I was hoping someone else would answer as I do not know for sure but I suspect that HOA dues are $900 which gets you pool and beach club and my bet is golf is another $3,000. On top of that you would probably pay a $25-35 cart fee for each round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina