U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM

455 posts, read 475,197 times

Advertisements

We have personally witnessed on many occasions the non English speaking crew pouring concrete slabs after dark with the headlights from their trucks as the only source of light !!! Now, that poor trusting out of state consumer will never know how his slab was constructed until his hardwood floor starts to pop !!

And the residents of St. James are criticized for living in a gated community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 AM

158 posts, read 281,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
We have personally witnessed on many occasions the non English speaking crew pouring concrete slabs after dark with the headlights from their trucks as the only source of light !!! Now, that poor trusting out of state consumer will never know how his slab was constructed until his hardwood floor starts to pop !!

And the residents of St. James are criticized for living in a gated community!
The pouring of concrete slabs in the dark which we personally have witnessed happened also to be within a gated community. Living in any gated community hopefully is not giving anyone a comfort level to think their home is perfectly built because of gates and a guard at the community's entrance.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I personally toured Stoney's home and it is more secure than a White House bunker. My home is being built in SJP. I have monitored the progress of the framers, masons, etc. and I have no problem with the quality. Also, I do not understand why people complain about the location. Stoney and I come from NJ, which has the same Rt. 17 that runs through Leland, Schalotte, etc. I came to SJP to get away from the traffic. A Walmart, Food Lion and Lowes 5 minutes away are fine. If I need to shop at speciality stores, I can use my Mustang to take a nice drive to Leland, Wilmington or MB. There are also a lot of professionals in SJP who can afford to build the best. Many of their homes are custom built. I don't know what your expectations are. If you want a turn of the century home, go to Wilmington. We can meet at the mall if you don't mind driving for 15 minutes through the endless traffic lights and the photo rader traps in the city. I will stay in SJP, hang out at Tommy's (which has survived many a hurricane) and have beer with my buddies. I will not lose any sleep about houses falling down.
I agree, everyone loves a nice drive. Just wanted to note that according to the Federal Property Report for SJP, Wilmington is 33 miles from the community and Myrtle Beach is 60 miles away. The report also states that there is no public transportation from SJP to nearby towns.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 AM

780 posts, read 1,597,443 times
This is terrible.... I have changed my thoughts on the subject... I understand now...
I am now convinced !

CAVEAT.... please, please, please... do not under any circumstances purchase or have a house built in NC... especially in a gated plantation.... obviously 100% of the foundations are poured at night by non English speaking 18 year old laborers by headlight and the construction process on 100% ( oops, scratch that... 99% ) of the homes that were ever built or are about to be built will be built "poorly" by these "18 year old non English speaking laborers" in the dark with non motorized hand tools from the early 1900's..... obviously leaving 99 % of the structures completely unsafe for human habitation.

Avoid homes in NC at all cost, run for your life. Now, I am assuming that our learned friends are excluding SOUTH Carolina as they only mention NORTH Carolina so if you go several yards south over the border I assume you'll be OK.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM

455 posts, read 475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
This is terrible.... I have changed my thoughts on the subject... I understand now...
I am now convinced !

CAVEAT.... please, please, please... do not under any circumstances purchase or have a house built in NC... especially in a gated plantation.... obviously 100% of the foundations are poured at night by non English speaking 18 year old laborers by headlight and the construction process on 100% ( oops, scratch that... 99% ) of the homes that were ever built or are about to be built will be built "poorly" by these "18 year old non English speaking laborers" in the dark with non motorized hand tools from the early 1900's..... obviously leaving 99 % of the structures completely unsafe for human habitation.

Avoid homes in NC at all cost, run for your life. Now, I am assuming that our learned friends are excluding SOUTH Carolina as they only mention NORTH Carolina so if you go several yards south over the border I assume you'll be OK.

I'm sure that's noted in the Federal Property Report.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM

11,143 posts, read 19,240,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
all new homes are prefab.
That's simply not true. The trusses may be pre-built, but walls and roofs are not. I have personally watched Savvy and H&H homes being build around me, and they are not high-end, by any means.

I have much respect for the Spanish-speaking men who can build a 45-degree sloped French-manor roof, and get the angles right.

In answer to SJP being "cookie-cutter", that is absurd when you look at real estate listings. Most houses are unique. Here's one example:
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts or information on St James Plantation-stjameshouse.jpg  

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
I am now convinced !

The recount of my personal experiences and those of others I know regarding shoddy building practices did not state that 100% of foundations are poured in the dark. Does this ever happen...yes. I never referenced an age level of any construction worker. Did I say "non English speaking" ... Yes. I do in earnest hope that these workers possessed a green card, but then who knows. I also never stated the type of tools these workers were using or indicated that any poorly built homes were unsafe for human habitation. As a former builder, I'm sure you are very familiar with the occupancy permit.

I also never defined any particular state when referencing my experience with shoddy building practices. I did say that this unfortunate scenario does exist and I repeat, I would honor the knowledge and experience of a former construction worker in a community.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I'm sure that's noted in the Federal Property Report.
No, however, what is noted under Federal Law in the Property Report for your community and all others with 100+ lots for sale is every aspect that affects the community and ones potential investment in that community. If you bought a lot in SJP and not a resale home, pull your copy of the report from your closing papers. It is an interesting and valuable read. You will have one since federal law requires that you sign a document indicating that you received this report for your review upon presentation of your contract to purchase your lot.

There are legal ramifications for the developer if this report is not given to the purchaser when the lot contract is signed. A consumer then has a 7 day due diligence period to review. I would recommend asking for this report once anyone becomes interested in a particular community which legally must be given upon request. This gives one ample time to refer and question anything that may be of particular concern to that consumer.

As I've posted previously, this Federal Prooerty Report is the ONLY consumer protection tool for consumers purchasing a lot from a developer in a subdivision. It was previously handled under HUD and is now covered under the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau created as a result of the Dodd Frank Act.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,988,332 times
I see this thread has become a hot topic again, thanks for keeping the discussion civil.

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM

383 posts, read 729,478 times
SJP is not for everyone and that is OK. It is a large community with folks transplanted from all over the country. I like the people and the diversity. That does not appeal to everyone. The builders that approved by the Builders Guild are fine. Is every house perfect - no, are they lousy construction - no. Let's stop making all inclusive general statements. Whether you build in Landfall or SJP, the quality will be similar. The bottom line is I love costal North Carolina and will be happy to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina