U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
 
158 posts, read 281,770 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Ah, the SJP crowd is at it again, protecting
their investment fiercely and as always in a passive aggressive kind
of way!

as far as SJP being diverse , now that would be a joke.
Diversity does not excist behind tall walls.

I really don't get the strong attack on everybody who
posts the least bit criticism of SJP?
It's really okay that not everybody wants
to live there, ist'n that the reason for gated communities?

Lastly, I have a friend who got in trouble on CDF for promoting
a business, this thread seems like excactly that.
Thanks "movetothecoast"...what a well written post and you're final sentence makes a very good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM
 
38 posts, read 69,231 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Ah, the SJP crowd is at it again, protecting
their investment fiercely and as always in a passive aggressive kind
of way!

as far as SJP being diverse , now that would be a joke.
Diversity does not excist behind tall walls.

I really don't get the strong attack on everybody who
posts the least bit criticism of SJP?
It's really okay that not everybody wants
to live there, ist'n that the reason for gated communities?

Lastly, I have a friend who got in trouble on CDF for promoting
a business, this thread seems like excactly that.
Why criticize SJP to begin with? What's the point? Perhaps the criticism is based upon the fact that the "plantation" was built on land previously used for hunting by local residents? Or perhaps there are some deep seeded feelings about "newcomers" moving into the area? I don't know. If that's the case, there are several other "planned communities" in the area that could also be put under scrutiny. I don't get the hang up about SJP.

For those of you that post the criticisms, it would be nice to know the real reason(s).

I live in a small town/rural/agricultural area that has seen its share of new homes, etc. and the benefits far outweigh the costs (increase in tax base to support local schools, gov't, infrastructure, etc.) and our small community is better off as a result. I assume that the residents of SJP and any other planned community in the South Brunswick School district are contributing to the tax base to support these same things. Granted, my village doesn't look the same as when I was a kid growing up, there is more traffic, and I don't know the name of everyone I see on the street, but i have adjusted and met some very nice folks as a result. Give it a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
383 posts, read 729,991 times
Reputation: 213
SJP is not for everyone as I said in my previous post. If you don't like it, that's fine, so don't look there or buy there or live there. This forum is for people who are interested in the community and want to learn about it and have their questions answered. I have met very nice people at SJP. Are there some people who live there that are jerks, probably? Are the majority of people there nice people living their "American dream", probably? What I resent is the verbiage "implying" all the people there are snobs living behind walls to be away from the members of the Southport community. That is really not fair nor constructive. Let's bring this forum back to delivering valuable content and not social commentary. If we don't most people will simply ignore it and this tread will have a quick death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM
 
2,766 posts, read 7,187,237 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
Why criticize SJP to begin with? What's the point? Perhaps the criticism is based upon the fact that the "plantation" was built on land previously used for hunting by local residents? Or perhaps there are some deep seeded feelings about "newcomers" moving into the area? I don't know. If that's the case, there are several other "planned communities" in the area that could also be put under scrutiny. I don't get the hang up about SJP.

For those of you that post the criticisms, it would be nice to know the real reason(s).

I do not know how the locals feel about SJP, but I find some of the posts (fans of SJP) to be snide, sarcastic and quite frankly, condescending. An attempt to defend their choice of places to settle, which, in my opinion requires no defense, they belittle any 'not perfect' comments about their community.

Some tend to "broad brush" an entire community by the off-colour posts of a few.

I just hope that any locals reading this do not use that same brush on all Northerners!

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
 
554 posts, read 902,437 times
Reputation: 375
Amen to jerseyj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 PM
 
78 posts, read 167,043 times
Reputation: 35
One point I would add to Pony's post. It is my understanding that the residents of SJP have donated over $1,000,000 for people and organizations outside "the walls" and continue to do so on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM
 
158 posts, read 281,770 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I do not know how the locals feel about SJP, but I find some of the posts (fans of SJP) to be snide, sarcastic and quite frankly, condescending. An attempt to defend their choice of places to settle, which, in my opinion requires no defense, they belittle any 'not perfect' comments about their community.

Some tend to "broad brush" an entire community by the off-colour posts of a few.

I just hope that any locals reading this do not use that same brush on all Northerners!

But that's just me.
This is so well said. Thank you jersey. I think it is best to be able to agree to disagree respectfully. I also think that the "snide, sarcastic and quite frankly, condescending" analysis you gave of some of the SJP residents results in irritating readers rather than defending the community. I agree that there is no reason to defend ones choice of lifestyle or location. I fear that what might result from these types of comments posted by some of the SJP folks can result in a negative feel for the community for those that don't know it. So these types of comments might ultimately be a detriment rather than a positive for their community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
 
1,884 posts, read 2,570,569 times
Reputation: 1834
I believe some of the negative comment is a direct result of someone
seeming to be selling the concept of living in SJP. pushing it in
other words.
whether this has been the true intent or just
somebody so over the moon about SJP, is hard to
discern because any questioning has been met by
hardcore sarcasm and belittling.
If I could get in to see SJP surely I would find a
beautiful community.
perhaps a blog for SJP would be a better way to promote SJP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
 
158 posts, read 281,770 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I believe some of the negative comment is a direct result of someone
seeming to be selling the concept of living in SJP. pushing it in
other words.
whether this has been the true intent or just
somebody so over the moon about SJP, is hard to
discern because any questioning has been met by
hardcore sarcasm and belittling.
If I could get in to see SJP surely I would find a
beautiful community.
perhaps a blog for SJP would be a better way to promote SJP?
I'm sure it's very nice also as are many of the PUDs in coastal NC. I worry for the residents at SJP that the manner in which many of the posts on this thread were addressed by certain SJP residents that they might be actually discouraging some folks from looking because of their demeanor. I can unequivocally tell you that this was certainly the case with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Long Island NY
456 posts, read 475,619 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
I'm sure it's very nice also as are many of the PUDs in coastal NC. I worry for the residents at SJP that the manner in which many of the posts on this thread were addressed by certain SJP residents that they might be actually discouraging some folks from looking because of their demeanor. I can unequivocally tell you that this was certainly the case with.
And I thought it was the grinder pumps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top