U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 AM

158 posts, read 281,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
"Our needs include kindness, congeniality and certainly an environment where adults can agree to disagree respectfully."

Then you have passed up the best opportunity to experience that, you will not find it elsewhere with your attitude.
This is just another example of why we made our decision to cancel our scheduled tour of SJP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:06 AM
ESN

27 posts, read 60,567 times
And we at SJP
are so pleased that you did!!

Last edited by ESN; 04-20-2013 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I would not judge a community by comments on a blog. Prior to my wife and I looking at the communities in Costal Carolina (Landfall, Brunswick Forrest, Rivers Edge, SJP and Winding River) we saw posts and heard from others that the people in Landfall were snobs and that you could not find a eatery open in Southport after 8pm on a Saturday night, etc. My wife and I made multiple trips to these communities. We loved Landfall, and found the residents we encountered to be very nice and acommodating. We eliminated it do to the lack of the private beach (we are past the days of battling for a parking space on a summer day) and the higher carrying costs. We narrowed it down to Winding River and SJP. We ended up choosing SJP, but frankly would be very happy in either community. Since we will not be full time residents, the gated aspect of the community was important to us and tipped the scales towards SJP. We also found great eatery destinations open after 8pm.

A community is the sum of its parts. People on blogs usually have strong opinions. Calling them cheerleaders may be appropriate, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Everyone on this blog will not share the same opinion of SJP and that is fine. America is a melting pot of people and opinions. There are things I don't like about SJP, but in my opinion the good far outweighs the bad.

My opinion is that if you are interested in the area, don't take anyone's word on a blog. Come down and tour all the communities. Create a grid with all the elements that are important to your happiness and see which communities attributes result in the most boxes being checked. If you buy in SJP and become my neighbor that would be great. If you choose Brunswick Forrest or Waterford or Landfall maybe I will bump into you while shopping at Harris Teeter. That would be nice. Just take in the benefits the Wilmington/Southport/Shallotte area has to offer and include it in your decision making process.

One other thing. Different things are important to different people. If you are concerned about a grinder pump, then that is going to be an issue you will have to evaluate and will enter into your decision process. If that is important to you then it is important and you should get answers that address your concerns. You should speak to the water/sewer department that has the subject matter experts and use their information to make an informed decision. Having a detailed discussion with members of a blog who have no expertise in this area, probably will not be of much help. But we should all respect your concerns as this is important to you.

What gets people ticked off is general comments about shoddy building. That is a generalization and is not productive information to include in this blog. By making such statements what response should the poster expect. 45 year ago when my development was built in the Northeast, the builder buried old wood in the ground the sheathing was below par and building codes changed with the wind. Well, my house is still standing and the builder is long gone. I guess my point is that nothing is perfect. You just have to have a good relationship with your building supervisor and do your homework by interviewing people whose homes they built. In most cases if you do that things will work out.

I wish you all success in finding the community that best meets your needs.
Thank you for your well wishes. I agree with much of what you have said.

I would first like to say that I have never referred to anyone as a cheerleader. Given that, I don't think some of the SJP posters realize as to how the way they state their posts reflects upon the community. As a result of this thread, I have received numerous private messages from other readers that have had the same reactions to snide comments that I have had. I'm sure none of us would have had this negative feeling about SJP if other residents posted in the same kind and well meaning manner that you did.

We have made numerous trips to the area and have visited many of the same communities as you, Landfall, Porters Neck, Brunswick Forest, etc. We had never toured SJP and mainly because of its location. Please do not take this as my being negative, this is our personal opinion. We decided to at least give it a look-see. Quite frankly, having been somewhat hesitant in the first place due to the location, the battering that ensued on this thread is what really changed our mind about keeping our scheduled tour of the community. This was just our personal reaction, others may feel differently.

We have had experience living in a self contained retirement community which also had somewhat of a remote location. This type of living is totally different from your typical residential community. One generally sees the same people everyday, go to social functions with the same group, etc. From our experience, this type of constancy can be either good or bad. What dictates this outcome is the people. As I've said before, I'm sure there are wonderful people at SJP. However, the explosive melining behavior of a number of SJP residents on this thread caused great concern for both my husband and myself. This type of behavior may, and hopefully so, be in small number at SJP, but knowing of it first hand before we ever arrived in the community was the influencing factor to take SJP off our list.

The grinder pump issue, no natural gas, location, etc were all items that we would have needed to further review but weren't necessarily reasons for us to completely rule out the community. For us, it was a feel for the people at SJP due to the manner, demeanor and attitude in which many of these posts from SJP residents were written. With a community such as SJP, it is the people that can make or break ones happiness and comfort level. For us, it appeared to not be a fit. This is not to say that would be the case for anyone else, but having experienced life in this type of a community, we say nay.

Good luck to all presently living in SJP and continued happiness.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESN View Post
And we at SJP
are so pleased that you did!!
See what I mean....have a good day.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 AM

383 posts, read 730,191 times
My final point is this. There are probably 40 people who consistently post on this blog. Maybe 20 actually live in SJP. There are 2,500 property owners. Thus, only less than 1% of the residents are represented on this blog. I would not jump to a conclusion about the people at SJP based on such a small statistical sample.

I am sure we have worked at jobs where we liked tha majority of the people yet there are probably some (greater than 1%) that we can't stand. Would that stop you from working for a great employer?

I think you can see my point. Forming opinions on a small sample is not a good thing. It usually leads to inaccurate generalizations.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
My final point is this. There are probably 40 people who consistently post on this blog. Maybe 20 actually live in SJP. There are 2,500 property owners. Thus, only less than 1% of the residents are represented on this blog. I would not jump to a conclusion about the people at SJP based on such a small statistical sample.

I am sure we have worked at jobs where we liked tha majority of the people yet there are probably some (greater than 1%) that we can't stand. Would that stop you from working for a great employer?

I think you can see my point. Forming opinions on a small sample is not a good thing. It usually leads to inaccurate generalizations.
I agree with you and could possibly take your good advise if we had not already experienced life in a self contained retirement community. As I said previously, this is a very different lifestyle. It has to be experienced to be understood. From our experience, some folks love it and others have moved out of the community because it was not for them.

The people in these types of communities dictate the experience because of the daily connectiveness. You are correct, the percentage represented on this blog for SJP may be only 1%. The problem for us in this regard is the potential of someone within that 1% living next door to us.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM

383 posts, read 730,191 times
Understand your concerns, but you have no control who buys the house next door. It could be Mother Theresa or a serial killer.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM

4,354 posts, read 2,835,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
" hey, did you all ever get wal mart to close its doors to locals on sundays so you wouldn't be subjected to them? I know that was top priority."

Gee' we haven't heard that one in a while except it was supposed to be Loews and it was a Wednesday back then. That rumor was debunked by Sy Cantwell of the Star News years ago, and he pointed out the reason that people make up such drivel (you don't need to look it up, it was (and is) jealousy). When we began our search for the perfect place to live, our number one prioirty was "sense of community" St James has that and more. Yes St. James people take a great deal of pride in our beautiful town and our way of life, so that is why we react when our home is attacked by the uninformed.

Gates were not even on our list, when we found St. James, but I began to see their value when a couple of years back some teenagers with a new pellet gun decided to try it out on windows in the area. They damaged homes, businesses and cars in BSL, Oak Island, Southport and even Arbor Creek. Notice any place missing from this picture? BTW St. James is a town (not a subdivision) and has been since 1999 (just setting the record straight).
st. james is a generic subdivision surrounded by trailers and the smell of boiling springs lake. you think throwing up mcmansions makes for a "beautiful town?" perhaps you should travel more. why on earth would anyone be jealous of someone living in a walled in subdivision in the middle of nowhere? landfall I can see, but st. james is no landfall.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 AM

4,354 posts, read 2,835,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well, as everyone has mentioned... at least the people that actually live here or visited for more than an hour and might know where of they speak, there are a few nice people here.... in addition, I don't believe the St James sales team needs any help from anyone, nor do they need to frequent this forum to listen to the cheerleaders OR the detractors since St James is the number one selling plantation in the entire area and ( according to the county building dept ) accounts for over 60 % of all of the new construction in Brunswick County..... must be some reason for that.
of course they don't need any help selling the homes there. they've cut their prices in half. there's new construction in brunswick county? last time I was there, the entire county looked like a ghost town. nothing but dead construction projects.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Understand your concerns, but you have no control who buys the house next door. It could be Mother Theresa or a serial killer.
You're correct, having control over who resides next to you is impossible. I was merely using this as an example.

Again, it's the type of community that makes the possibility even greater. Self contained retirement communities as I have said, are an entity unto their own and very very different from any other type of residential living. Having experienced this, our concern over the apparent personalities of some of the SJP posters raised a big red flag for us. This was our personal interruption and I would recommend anyone choosing to live in coastal NC look st SJP along with the other communities to make their best judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina