U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM

45 posts, read 152,950 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on the newer condos in HarborWalk? My family has visited (I haven't yet) and is seriously considering a newly constructed unit there. That close to the water, I'm assuming these are well into the flood zone, but are we talking constant standing water or hurricane type flooding events? I love the concept of "steps to the water", but thinking it might come with more baggage than it's worth.

Also, what's the atmosphere like for (somewhat) younger families. Obviously the amenities and activities are top notch, but will SJP be a good area to meet other families with children? We have 3 girls under age 10. As all kids are, they can be noisy at times (but are well behaved in public places), so are there any negative vibes from other owners when kids are around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Pair View Post
Stoney,

Here's a Cable question. Does the local provider carry the MASN (MidAtlanticSportsNetwork) channels? That's where all of the NATS and ORIOLES games are shown.
No MASN on Time Warner Cable. They are willing to put it on their digital tier, but MASN still demands that they be added to their "basic" lineup. I don't think the dispute has ever been resolved. As a native North Carolinian, I can certainly understand why Time Warner wouldn't want to use one of their key "basic tier" channel spots for MASN. Though there are certainly NATS/ORIOLES/etc fans around, I wouldn't think there are enough in NC to drive a need for it to be on a basic tier.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM

11,146 posts, read 19,266,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobioAXP View Post
Also, what's the atmosphere like for (somewhat) younger families. Obviously the amenities and activities are top notch, but will SJP be a good area to meet other families with children? We have 3 girls under age 10. As all kids are, they can be noisy at times (but are well behaved in public places), so are there any negative vibes from other owners when kids are around?
I will just quote you the median resident age in St James as 65.0 years old. Perhaps some resident can tell you whether there are any children at all in HarborWalk. On the whole, I would think there are better places for families, like Carolina Beach.

Do you want a golf resort? Or are you just looking for a water-front condo? Is this for full-time use or vacation use?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM

38 posts, read 76,380 times
Default Nats, Floods and Kids

Robio,

Thanks for the MASN info. I guess we'll need to sign up for the MLB package.

RE: Flooding in the Harborwalk area, or lack there of. As part of our on site research, my wife and I spent a few days riding our bikes through the many neighborhoods of St. James. Whenever we would spot someone in their front yard or walking along the road, we would stop and try to strike up a conversation. If successful, and we usually were. we would ask a few questions about their neighborhood. One of our first questions was "How long have you lived in SJ." Anyone that we found in the flood plain area between Waterway Park and the west end of St. James Drive (past Harborwalk) were always asked about the flooding history. Not one person had ever seen or heard of the area flooding. Some of these residents had been there more than ten years. I wouldn't worry. Drive along Harbormaster Drive, which might be slightly lower Harborwalk, and you will see a number of homes going up.

A side note about Harborwalk - riding around last October, we discovered that Harborwalk had a resident alligator in the large pond next to pool. We did not see it in Dec or last month. Might have been hibernating or might have been removed and let loose in a more rural area.

RE: Kids. We have seen kids playing in yards around SJ. Also, Waterway Park has several pieces of playground equipment and the new Seaside Club megapool complex has a kiddie area, a manmade beach and a section with syncopated fountains that the kids have fun dodging and running through, so we have been told.

.Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that the Harborwalk area doesn't routinely flood. Any property within a flood zone is obviously risky, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a constant battle every time the sky lets out a few drops of drizzle.

My wife's parents are actually the ones looking to purchase the property (they're right at the median age, it sounds like). But, I imagine my family will spend a good bit of the time down there as well vacationing. I'm also considering buying a boat slip and adding membership, so I want to make sure the kids will enjoy it and possibly find some friends to play with. It sounds like they've got kids in mind with the Seaside Club, so I'm excited to actually visit Southport and SJP in 3 weeks!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM

783 posts, read 1,599,615 times
We actually live in a townhouse in Harborwalk, for the past 18 months, as has been said before we have been through two hurricanes ( not category 5's of course ) and numerous big time storms and have never seen any water backing up anywhere, no steets have ever been impassable and we are literally a hundred yards from the marina and waterway.

The alligator is still here, lives in the pond in the rear, the entire area of Brunswick county is prone to them but we only see him occasionally and have never seen him out of the water..... although I guess that happens.... nature and all.

As far as kids go, the only time you see them is when they are here visiting the grandparents or down on vacation for a week with their parents.... mostly in the summer months when school is out. There are only a few families with children that actually live here and they are people that have businesses or work in Southport. The facilities at the Seaside Club that were spoken of and the oceanfront pool are almost exclusively used by the visiting grandchildren and that is what they were intended for. Your kids will love it here, so much to do, but I would not count on them meeting a lot of other kids at all.... bumping into a few on occasion would be more like it. The school bus does come into St James each day and picks up and rops off a handful of kids scattered throughout the plantation.... I am told that half of them are living here with grandparents for whatever reasons and not " as a family unit".... many / most of the plantations are not condusive to families with kids and St James is not an exception.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM

143 posts, read 227,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Pair
Stoney,

Here's a Cable question. Does the local provider carry the MASN (MidAtlanticSportsNetwork) channels? That's where all of the NATS and ORIOLES games are shown.

No MASN on Time Warner Cable. They are willing to put it on their digital tier, but MASN still demands that they be added to their "basic" lineup. I don't think the dispute has ever been resolved. As a native North Carolinian, I can certainly understand why Time Warner wouldn't want to use one of their key "basic tier" channel spots for MASN. Though there are certainly NATS/ORIOLES/etc fans around, I wouldn't think there are enough in NC to drive a need for it to be on a basic tier.

RobioAXP is right, but I have done research on this.

Not only does Time Warned not carry MASN, but even if you subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package, all MASN games are blacked out because MLB considers North Carolina to be the "home" territory of the O's and Nats. It works the same here on Verizon FiOS in Northern Virginia. It the O's or Nats are playing, the games are available on the dedicated MASN channels 500/577, but blacked out on the MLB EI channels. I do not believe that ATMC (available in parts of SJP) carries MLB EI. I do believe DIRECTV and Dish Network carry MASN (not sure if they carry both MASN and MASN2). And there is always the MLB.TV package.

Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 PM

38 posts, read 76,380 times
Default No MASN!!!?

Bummer. We just might be sticking with Directv. More research is in order on this and other issues. Part of the game.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,919,336 times
I have Verizon "Fios" here in beautiful Monmouth County NJ. I assume none of the Plantations have this, right? Not that this would dictate where i decide on living.
Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Pair View Post
Stoney,

Thanks for taking the time to provide answers to my questions. Very helpful.

Glad to hear about your experience at Dosher. It's good to know since you never know when.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully, this forum will get back on track, providing a real service.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM

554 posts, read 902,676 times
Bicman - we were told Verizon and AT+T were the biggest cable companies in Brunswick County. Can anyone else comment on this? thanks! missynancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina