U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-30-2010, 05:48 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
Reputation: 343

Advertisements

We are in New Jersey and as we are also investigating the area including St James Plantation where there are MANY different membership levels/options, as far as we can tell from the fee schedule they sent us ( which is extensive ) the family "unlimited" golf seems to be $480.00 monthly, plus cart fees, with a $15,000.00 upfront non-refundable "initiation" fee. The POA fee is $750.00 per year and includes the "beach club" only. Still checking things out down there and going down for a visit/look see next month in December..... as an aside, the area around Southport, Oak Island, etc and St James Plantation in particular look very appealing so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2010, 05:58 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
Reputation: 343
We are from NJ and also investigating the area and St James Plantation in particular. As an FYI, from the fee schedule they sent us, which has an "extensive" array of membership levels/options, the POA fee for everyone is $750.00 per year and the lowest "social" membership including everything EXCEPT unlimited golf and tennis is $600.00 per year. The "unlimited" golf everywhere membership is $5,760.00 per year..... ALL memberships, at ANY level, include a $15,000.00 up front, non-refundable initiation fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 AM
 
56 posts, read 133,717 times
Reputation: 31
Default Check out Brunswick Plantation

Check out Brunswick Plantation it sounds like what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
 
53 posts, read 182,792 times
Reputation: 39
Default followup question

I thought the 15 k was covered when home sales say "Signature membership transferrable". Or was I being mislead by the Realtor?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
We are from NJ and also investigating the area and St James Plantation in particular. As an FYI, from the fee schedule they sent us, which has an "extensive" array of membership levels/options, the POA fee for everyone is $750.00 per year and the lowest "social" membership including everything EXCEPT unlimited golf and tennis is $600.00 per year. The "unlimited" golf everywhere membership is $5,760.00 per year..... ALL memberships, at ANY level, include a $15,000.00 up front, non-refundable initiation fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
 
53 posts, read 182,792 times
Reputation: 39
Thank you very much Stonecreek67, appreciate the information. My buddy is having a house being build down there as we speak. He tells me if anyone is from New Jersey they will sure feel like they are back home. A lot of very nice friendly people down there from the Garden State. I live in Tinton Falls now, used to live in Charlotte for 19 years but company went out of business so back to the 2 hr commute each way to Wall Street.
Was there anything in the area that you did not like??
I have 2-4 more years to work dependiong on how the Market goes and I have narrowed my choices down between St James and Ocean Ridge Plantation.
Probably can't go wrong with either one. Did you look there as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
Reputation: 343
Alrighty then Mr. Hawk..... we hail from Westfield, been through Tinton Falls many times, as a matter of fact just went to a concert at the Count Basie in Red Bank ( go there all the time ) just around the corner from you. We visited Pawley's Island just below Myrtle Beach in July, very nice but not "beachy / islandy" at all. Have never actually been to the Southport area yet, but we are going down for a look see 1st week of December, however we have been online ad nauseam about the area and plantations and several people from our town have just moved to the area. So far we are drawn to St James because of the marina and Tommy Thompsons restaurant and the fact that unlike Ocean Ridge ( apparantly) St James does not welcome/allow much outside play on their courses and the restaurants are not open to the public ( or so I'm told )... regarding the $15k, I'm not exactly sure how that works yet, "they" say different things about it and I guess we'll find out next month how it actually is handled when you buy a property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
 
907 posts, read 1,534,357 times
Reputation: 1901
I am at the same stage as you two. I played at St James as an "outsider" in Sept so they do allow day players though many would not want to make the drive that far north with all the courses closer to Myrtle. The Big Cats have a lot more outside traffic and we played there also. Both have top quality courses. I am also looking at Ocean Ridge and St James and see the good points of both. I am leaning toward Ocean Ridge because if I don't want to "pony up" for the golf membership I have plenty of choices in the area if I want to golf on the cheap. I also like the marina and Tommy's at St James. I look at Sunset Beach as a better beach island then Oak Island. I have about 5 years before I lay anchor at either and I see no rush basis prices which I believe will either drop or stay level during that time period. I do not plan on building as there are too many quality resales that would more than suit my needs. I plan on renting a condo for my first winter of retirement maybe one year at St James and one at Sandpiper Bay to get a better feel for the areas. I will be back down there in May and again for a week in Sept. Now if I can only convince my wife that being away from the kids is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM
 
53 posts, read 182,792 times
Reputation: 39
Wink Thx for the Note

Westfield very nice town. I am at the far nort section of Tinton Fields of Sycamore Ave, next towns over are Shrewsbury and Red Bank. Still go to the beach at Avon though, nicer than Sea Bright imo anyway.
I agree with your assessment on Pawleys Island. Only reason i brought up South Carolins had to do with the tax structure on pensions for retirees is much less in South Carolina compared to North Carolina. Was not aware of that till i read it on this board somewhere. I looked it up and they were right.
I like to Marina (although my wife won't let me get a boat" and I also love sitting outside drinking some drinks at Tommy's. Not sure about the 15 k either as i get many different answers.
I turn 57 on St Pattys day (Birthday) so i have maybe 2-3 years before i make the big decision. I know I won't build after hearing the headaches one of my buddys is having with his "Reputable Builder". They installed different shades of Brick on his house. Couldn't handle the stress living up here and not be able to check what the builder was doing even though they send you pictures.

Keep the faith brother and keep me posted on how you are doing. See you at the bar!!!!

Jim


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Alrighty then Mr. Hawk..... we hail from Westfield, been through Tinton Falls many times, as a matter of fact just went to a concert at the Count Basie in Red Bank ( go there all the time ) just around the corner from you. We visited Pawley's Island just below Myrtle Beach in July, very nice but not "beachy / islandy" at all. Have never actually been to the Southport area yet, but we are going down for a look see 1st week of December, however we have been online ad nauseam about the area and plantations and several people from our town have just moved to the area. So far we are drawn to St James because of the marina and Tommy Thompsons restaurant and the fact that unlike Ocean Ridge ( apparantly) St James does not welcome/allow much outside play on their courses and the restaurants are not open to the public ( or so I'm told )... regarding the $15k, I'm not exactly sure how that works yet, "they" say different things about it and I guess we'll find out next month how it actually is handled when you buy a property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 AM
 
53 posts, read 182,792 times
Reputation: 39
Cool Hey!!

I definitely need to get clarrification on that 15k stroke to join all the clubs.My wife asks me why i need to join 5 clubs anyway. She may have a point. I get many different answers to the same questions. I also wonder why Oceans Ridge doesn't have a pool at their very nice beach house at Sunset Beach. I love Sunset Beach over Oak Island. I also wish Ocean Ridge had a nice bar like Tommys there as well.
By the time I retire i will be fed up with working (graduated College in 1976) so I plan on spending a lot of time at Golf course, Beach, Pool, Bar, etc... My wife doesn't golf so i am concerned about access to shopping and Malls etc for her. This is where Ocean Ridge has big advantage as it is much closer to Shopping and commercial civilization.
Of course a lot can change between now and 3 years from now when i hit 59 1/2.
My New Jersey house keeps losing value by the day, I moved up here in March 07 from Charlotte at the height of Real Estate prices in NJ and Zillow tells me I went for 621k (which i paid) down to 498k. All equity too, not talking funny money decreased appreciation.
Life is short, can't sweat the small things.
Get me out of NJ.
Just read about the "EXIT TAX" in New Jersey too. Unbelievable, I need a beer!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am at the same stage as you two. I played at St James as an "outsider" in Sept so they do allow day players though many would not want to make the drive that far north with all the courses closer to Myrtle. The Big Cats have a lot more outside traffic and we played there also. Both have top quality courses. I am also looking at Ocean Ridge and St James and see the good points of both. I am leaning toward Ocean Ridge because if I don't want to "pony up" for the golf membership I have plenty of choices in the area if I want to golf on the cheap. I also like the marina and Tommy's at St James. I look at Sunset Beach as a better beach island then Oak Island. I have about 5 years before I lay anchor at either and I see no rush basis prices which I believe will either drop or stay level during that time period. I do not plan on building as there are too many quality resales that would more than suit my needs. I plan on renting a condo for my first winter of retirement maybe one year at St James and one at Sandpiper Bay to get a better feel for the areas. I will be back down there in May and again for a week in Sept. Now if I can only convince my wife that being away from the kids is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
 
907 posts, read 1,534,357 times
Reputation: 1901
We truely are of the same "vintage" as I graduated college in '76 also. Here's my Jersey story. Built a home in Old Bridge back in the mid 80's for 200K. Builder said taxes would be $2,700. They were $5,200! Sold it after 2 years to move to Eastern PA with my employer picking all the commissions up. Sold the place for $300K. Those were the days. I hear taxes on that house are +$12,000. I could see myself having a "cold one" at Tommy's if I go that route. Once again unless the market makes a big move and my stock options are finally worth something it will be 5 years for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top