U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 AM

17 posts, read 34,525 times

Advertisements

I was reading through the recent SJP/POA Comprehensive Plan Survey Results and the majority of the survey was overwhelming posiitve. However, I would like some insight on some areas of weakness that were highlighted in this report.

1) Water pressure
2) Street lighting
3) Standing water/Stormwater Management

I am also interested if there are any design ideas I should implement to mitigate whatever these specific concerns are.

The other issues were outside the immediate control of SJP/POA such as HWY 211 loading, aesthetics, retail proximity,etc.

Thanks,

IBB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM

45 posts, read 152,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgaither View Post
RobioAXP, we built a house in Members in 2006 with a 12 and 13 year old and were coming down probably 6 times a year for long weekends and full weeks. My kids made friends with another family's only daughter at the beach and for the last 7 years, we would touch base at school vacation times, summer and the kids would hang out and visit several times a year. They are all 3 in college now and still FB friends. Yes, St. James residents are primarily 50+ but it's still a lively, family-embracing atmosphere. Our retired neighbor welcomed our 12 year old son to his golf foursome along with my husband for instance and he had a blast. We did the Outer Banks for 13 years when the kids were young and we loved it of course but they never made a returning friend like they did at St. James. Just a for instance. One more thing - we always took a day for Myrtle Beach - so easy to get there and there's the Ft. Fisher Aquarium too.
Thanks for sharing! We're excited to get to spend some time at St. James. It sounds like the kids are going to have a blast. We're hoping to get down there 7-8 times a year (minimum) starting this summer. Still a lot to work through, but we're excited for the family to be property owners soon.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM

383 posts, read 729,718 times
Hi IBB,

The only item I can comment on is the standing water issue. After heavy rain, I have heard that the marina area and also the Sanderling area have had standing water, which quickly dissipates. In the reserve, which is 55-60 feet above sea level there is not standing water. It is also nice in the Reserve that you do not have the deep swails that fill up with water. The whole community is great. I can't wait to enjoy it.

PP

Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,789 times
Hello,
I recently stumbled upon St James and I am sold. I do have some concerns though, the biggest of which is am I too young? I love the idea of a golf community that I could play year at. At our club here in northern Indiana where I live, we are limited to April through early November most years. I own a sailboat on Lake Michigan so the marina is a major selling point as well. How about single women who would be eligible bachlorette's for a single guy in his late twenties? Are there children in the area? I would like to have a family but would not want to buy a property and then in say 4 years have to sell it because the future Mrs's wants children in a more child friendly environment. It seems in most every picture I have seen and most comments I have read are from retiree's, I still have 30 years of work in front of me (if I ever retire, being a work junkie has its downside).

Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 PM

108 posts, read 199,147 times
Tough call, the average age within St. James is 65+ and I'm guessing in 10 years it will be closer to 70+. There are young kids around but the majority of them are visitors or children living with their grandparents.

You're asking the right questions.....but until your future is more settled I don't know how you can decide if St. James is right for you.

But if you're willing to take a chance St. James is probably the nicest of all developments in Brunswick County.

Ron W.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM

I think the average age at SJP is closer to 60 than 65. I have met a lot of people in the 55-60 age group.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Heading down to SJP on Tuesday and Wednesday. If any of of my buddies are around, give me a call on my cell. Also, do the old remotes still work on the Seaside gate or did they cut over to the RF stickers on the cars?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM
ESN

27 posts, read 60,508 times
The remotes still work, I don't know for how much longer, but they still work for now.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks ESN. I have packed my remote. I am looking forward to seeing the progress on my place and to visit the community.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 PM

124 posts, read 192,259 times
I really enjoy reading this forum and have been doing so for several years. Although we have property in Brunswick County, we recently built and moved to Little River,SC and we are very happy. SJP appears and looks lovely .It is so interesting to run into people that we know from NJ.
We even have friends from our hometown in Jersey who live 6 houses away from us here! Anyway, to reiterate, having read this forum for a long time, I see that ESN and Stoney are both from Westfield, NJ! Did you know each other in Jersey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina