U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM

17 posts, read 34,530 times

Advertisements

My preference is Zoyzia

1) It will choke out Bermuda if taken care of (aerated, mowed with a bag, fertilized properly.)
2) It is (the most)drought resistant which important down here if they have to put water use restrictions due to drought conditions.
3) It is super thick turf that stands up well to "traffic." However, it is tough to cut without either a self-propelled or riding mower.
4) It turns brown in winter....no mowing
5) We have this turf at our house in Raleigh.
6) I would also look at Centipede and St. Augustine. Centipede is a slow grower and requires iron from time to time to green it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 AM

383 posts, read 729,828 times
Happy Father's Day to all! Hope to see my SJP friends sometime during the period of 6/26 - 7/4 when my better half and I are down to become official residents.

Pony

Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,263 times
considering geothermal in the house we are building on Moss Hammock Wynd. Does anybody have experience or feedback using this? If so, what company installed it for you? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
I recently purchase a lot in SJP. I recently received a message concerning "Vacant Lot Maintenance". It appears I can pay the POA or have the work completed by an outside source. Can anyone give me information on what outside sources are available to do this work before I commit? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:03 PM

20 posts, read 30,090 times
Visisted recently...beautiful area....nice marina....gorgeous golf course....too many rules in general....more older population(55+)....seem to me a bit too regulated...

Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 AM

78 posts, read 167,018 times
After one year at SJP we have no regrets. Great people and plenty to do.No surprise there is a building boom here.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Happy Anniversary

Happy 1 year anniversary at SJP Tim! We look forward to coming down to SJP this week and officially become your neighbor.

Regards,

Pony

Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM

45 posts, read 152,920 times
Had a great weekend at SJP (our first). Between all the SJP pools, Waterway Park, Marina, and trips into Southport, the kids were always entertained, and are already asking to go back again (which we'll do next week). We even went fishing out by the gazebo around the marina and caught some skates and baby sharks (exciting...) I was surprised that they didn't sell bait at the Marina though. I didn't have my casting net with me (which doesn't guarantee bait anyway), so we had to drive out to to the bridge to Oak Island to find some shrimp. That was a pain given that we walked to the marina with fishing gear in tow, then had to take a 30 minute detour because we had no bait. I wonder why the marina wouldn't sell bait? Isn't that one of the primary functions of a marina?

Also, one of the residents was griping at a guy fishing at Waterway Park. She evidently wasn't happy that someone was fishing out there and taking up space on the dock. She gave the guy quite the verbal beat-down. Don't they allow fishing on the Waterway Park dock? I'm pretty sure that was actually one of the big advertised perks for the area (fishing / crabbing). Finding a couple of approved places to fish and crab in the waterway around SJP was one of the reasons we joined. So far, I've only found Waterway Park and the Gazebo along the marina for fishing / crabbing. Is there anywhere else to get to the water (not the freshwater ponds). I saw another dock on one of the maps that looked like it went out to a creek, but when we drove by I thought I saw a sign that said "Private". My girls want to get out into the muck and catch fiddler crabs, and I want to throw the casting net to catch bait and also drop a crab pot. Where do we go to do that around SJP?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:26 PM

776 posts, read 1,512,331 times
I visited my Dad for the first time last week, since he and his wife moved to St. James late last year. Their house was finished in January and they're loving it. We had gotten the grand tour of the community and ate outside at Tommy Thompsons. Never realized how "big" the community is, and we only saw bits and pieces of it, I know. My Dad gave me directions to his street, and it felt like it took forever to get there, from the gate. He did urge me to "not dare go over the speed limit" while on St. James roads. lol But yes, we were definitely impressed with SJP. And they're apparently loving it...having fun socializing and attending the many events there. He's found golf buddies down there too, so that's good...problem is, he says they're all waaaay better than him.

Definitely makes me and my wife miss the coast though (we grew up along the Jersey shore, then moved to Raleigh)...so I think we've got more motivation to relocate to the Wilmington area very soon. Not saying we'd move to St. James, but it'd make our short list for sure. There are alot of factors, from employment being the big one (even though my wife can possibly work out of Wilmington), to schools for my boys and a few other things.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 PM

Just took possession of our home in SJP. Everything is going pretty smooth. We love the community. We have been hanging out at the beach, meeting nice people and enjoying our time here. It will be tough to leave this place, but it will only be for period of time.

Regards,

Pony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina