U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 PM

720 posts, read 1,491,433 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the lawn information and the great news about Lowe's. I wonder if the hotel on the other side of Midway Rd is getting finished anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 AM

111 posts, read 208,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Thanks for the lawn information and the great news about Lowe's. I wonder if the hotel on the other side of Midway Rd is getting finished anytime soon
That project seems to be stalled, whenever I ride by I never see anyone working. Sometimes I'll see the workers napping in their cars they don't seem to be in any rush.

Ron W.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,485 times
I'm new to this board and hoping someone can answer a few questions for me. I'm looking at property in the Reserve, but don't plan to build for a few years. Is it necessary to have someone look at the property before I purchase it? If it is necessary who should I contact. I live in CT. The owner will pay the activation fee. Does that mean I won't have to pay the $15,000 for club membership?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
ridgefield..... 1st, the $5K activation fee is the activation fee that is to be paid becaue the 1st owner did not activate a membership on the property, this does not absolve you from paying a membership fee of $15K if you choose to get a membership. If you purchase the lot and do not intend to build right away, take the $5K activation fee in money at the closing and do not pay it to St James now.... if and when you decide to live here and get a membership, pay the $5K and the $15K at the same time when you actually "activate" a membership.

2nd, what exactly do you mean by having someone "look" at the property ?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 PM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
I would not buy the property sight unseen. You need to see the topography, any obstructions and you also should contact the POA to see what the setback lines on all parts of the property are. These are know to change from time to time. You also have to make sure that the size and layout of a potential home you might build will fit on the lot. In the area of the Reserve where I build the set back lines were changed to a minimum of 30 feet front and back and 10 feet on the sides.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 AM

566 posts, read 940,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefield120 View Post
I'm new to this board and hoping someone can answer a few questions for me. I'm looking at property in the Reserve, but don't plan to build for a few years. Is it necessary to have someone look at the property before I purchase it? If it is necessary who should I contact. I live in CT. The owner will pay the activation fee. Does that mean I won't have to pay the $15,000 for club membership?
Hold on there, fast guy!! You need to really scope out this area IN PERSON BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING AT ALL!! We had three trips to Brunswick County before we settled on a lot in Ocean Ridge Plantation. We saw about 10 developments (plantations) in PERSON. You need to see how far you are from the shopping, doctors, hospitals, traffic, etc. Each community is different in its architecture. We would NEVER buy a property site unseen. Pictures on the internet of lots many times are shot to show 'water views, etc.' when in actuality, the 'water views or golf views' are zoomed in - to not exactly show proper representation!!! Please do your homework and see these developments in person!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 AM

11,319 posts, read 19,940,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
We would NEVER buy a property site unseen. Pictures on the internet of lots many times are shot to show 'water views, etc.' when in actuality, the 'water views or golf views' are zoomed in - to not exactly show proper representation!!! Please do your homework and see these developments in person!
Perhaps ridgefield120 meant "re-surveying" the lot. I hope they would not buy a lot sight-unseen. One should also look at the neighboring houses, their style and how close they are to your lot, trees you might want to keep, any possible wet spots the realtors pictures do not show. Since there is no Google street view of St. James, it is impossible to get an idea of views the neighboring houses without being there.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
Nobody knows yet if ridgefield has been there in person or not, he was not clear on that, but I am wagering that he has and simply needed some advice on having the lot checked for buildability.

BUT, as a factual FYI... people do purchase lots in St James and ALL of the other plantations, sight unseen, from a map, from Google Earth, etc.... never having visited the places.... simply ask the realtors, it happens from time to time.... I personally would not but people do it.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,485 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. You've been incredibly helpful. As I said originally, I'm new to this board. I posted a reply but it's apparently lost in cyber space. We've checked out the surrounding plantations and have chosen St. James as the place we want to be. We've visited St. James five times in the past two years and as you can tell from the frequency of visits, we love it! As a matter of fact, we were down just last week to look for property.

We found a few lots in the Reserve. We did walk all the properties with the Real Estate agent. Before making an offer we thought it would be best to have someone, a surveyor perhaps, look at the property for us. My sister and her husband bought property in St. James about 8 years ago. The house they wanted to build would not fit on the property they bought. We don't want to be in the same situation. The agent gave me a copy of the surveys. Should I ask a surveyor in Southport to resurvey the property or can I find one up here to take a look at them?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
You really don't need a surveyor. Just go to the POA and find out the setback lines on the streets of the lots in question. Then look at some plans of the type of house you want to build and see if its footprint will fit on the lot. Our lot is in the Reserve. If we build a lot with all the bedrooms downstairs, which is common in SJP, it would have been a tight fit. We chose to have the Master down and other bedrooms upstairs and that gave us a lot of space on our lot so we will not be to close to our neighbors. It is simply personal choice.

Regards,

Pony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina