U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,745 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and love St James. Looking at a resale to purchase as our permanent retirement home.
I am curious as to everyones feelings about Southport. To me it has limited services and seems to be showing economic issues with the closed businesses.
For those of you who have lived here a while is it an issue with you.
How is the Medical care here?
Where do you shop?
Are you so involved at SJP that you don't bother with Southport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM

78 posts, read 170,063 times
Southport is very nice laid back town with good restaurants and great water views.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
Peter.... my how time flies, we landed here full time two years ago next week and have not regretted one moment of it. Regarding Southport I do not know what you mean by "limited services", but we seem to have everything we need here and in the immediate vicinity, as far as empty stores go, there are empty stores everywhere in every town and every state, I honestly don't see how that could possibly affect our life in St James.

As far as our experience with medical care goes, we had occasion to use the Emergency Room at Dozier Medical Center in Southport and had an excellent experience, then there is the brand new Brunswick Medical Center in Bolivia and then there is the Hanover Medical Center in Wilmington, all having very good ratings and testimonials by people we meet here at St James, as far as dental we are extremely happy with Coastal Family Dental right down the road in Bolivia, as a matter of fact I'm having the finishing touches on an implant next week and could not be happier with the experience.

As far as shopping, what kind of shopping are you referring to ?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 31,973 times
We live in Southport and are also members and property owners in St.James. We have been been back and forth from N.J. for over 7 years and can vouch for all the points made by Stonecreek. Services are more than adequate and what ever is not there are close by in Wilmington. Like most folks we looked from Maryland to Florida for a place to escape to or relocate to. In our experience you won't find another community like St. James. No one comes close as far as ammenities. By the way the local people in Southport, a mix of natives and transplants are some of the nicest folks you could ever encounter.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 AM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
It's pretty tough duty here at St James.....

It's Cocktail Time at The Members Club in St. James Plantation - YouTube

Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,978,618 times
I meant to ask this question earlier in July to those St James Residents who go to the beach and enjoy the beach club. Somewhere I read that the parking spaces fill up somewhere around 10 am or so. Don't know if that is true or not but just for giggles lets say it is true. What do you guys do? Is there other parking available close to the pool and beach facilities? Would appreciate your thoughts especially as more and more people are moving into the plantation I was wondering how they deal with the overflow?

Thx

Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM

Parking lot does fill up. Best time to go is usually around 10am or 3 pm. There usually is street parking available so there is no real problem. SJP has been talking with Oak Island for more street parking.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,978,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas tim View Post
Parking lot does fill up. Best time to go is usually around 10am or 3 pm. There usually is street parking available so there is no real problem. SJP has been talking with Oak Island for more street parking.
Thanks Tim..

Figured it was not worth being concerned about.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 AM

July 4th week is very busy between family visiting sjp and oak island rentals

Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM

383 posts, read 747,277 times
Does anyone have a suggestion on a route to take from New Jersey to St. James Plantation. 95 is a drag. Last time we took 95 to 66 in Fredricksburg to 81, but that was real long. Has anyone gone route 13 to 64 to 17? Going that way you have to be on 17 for a long time and I am not sure what type of road it is north of Wilmington.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Pony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina