U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM

11,146 posts, read 19,274,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Has anyone gone route 13 to 64 to 17? Going that way you have to be on 17 for a long time and I am not sure what type of road it is north of Wilmington.
Highway 17 north of Wilmington is just boring. There are traffic lights in many towns, and I am sure it will take you longer than using I-95.

The only alternate suggestion is to take Route 3 and 301 south of Baltimore, cross the Potomac at the 301 bridge and pick up I-95 north of Richmond. That way you miss the worst of the construction in the DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM

554 posts, read 902,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion on a route to take from New Jersey to St. James Plantation. 95 is a drag. Last time we took 95 to 66 in Fredricksburg to 81, but that was real long. Has anyone gone route 13 to 64 to 17? Going that way you have to be on 17 for a long time and I am not sure what type of road it is north of Wilmington.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Pony
Route 13 is a nitemare; believe me, I've taken it to Chincoteague, VA and outer banks for years....those towns in Delaware and VA before the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel are small towns with lots of lights and many cops and you can only do 25 mph on a long long stretch of it. I really think 95 is your best bet....

Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 PM

84 posts, read 141,317 times
PonyPride, as a native New Jerseyan who has sat in her fair share of traffic on I-95 both before and after my husband and I moved to Brunswick Forest in 2009, I'm going to second what Golden Age suggested about Route 301--it's a good alternative. After the Delaware Memorial Bridge, try taking 13 only as far south as the Odessa/Middletown exit, then cut over on 299 to 301. Take 301 all the way down through MD, where it will meet up with Route 50, continuing (when it's 50/301) westward until the two roads split again after you've crossed the Chesapeake Bay. Route 301 will then wend its way southward through MD until it crosses the Potomac into VA via the Harry Nice bridge (yes, they take EZ Pass). As you continue south on 301 in VA, you'll pass the backside of Fort AP Hill, and further on you can either choose to cut over to I-95 (having missed all the Capitol Beltway traffic, and the construction in northern VA) at exit 104, or continue on 301 and meet up with 295 at exit 41 (we prefer to meet back up with I-95 at exit 104). My husband and I have been taking this route for the past couple of years when returning to NJ to visit family and friends, at the suggestion of another former NJ resident, and it surely beats sitting in stop-and-go traffic on I-95 anywhere between northern VA and the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Route 301 is scenic in VA, but the only thing I would caution you about it is that it IS a single lane road once you've passed from MD into VA, but there is so seldom any real traffic that it hasn't really caused us any problems. Missynancy is right that Route 13 is a nightmare if you take it all the way down, and I feel the same way about taking 17 for long distances as well. But give that 13/299/301 combo a try!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM

2,766 posts, read 7,189,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgirl View Post
PonyPride, as a native New Jerseyan who has sat in her fair share of traffic on I-95 both before and after my husband and I moved to Brunswick Forest in 2009, I'm going to second what Golden Age suggested about Route 301--it's a good alternative. After the Delaware Memorial Bridge, try taking 13 only as far south as the Odessa/Middletown exit, then cut over on 299 to 301. Take 301 all the way down through MD, where it will meet up with Route 50, continuing (when it's 50/301) westward until the two roads split again after you've crossed the Chesapeake Bay. Route 301 will then wend its way southward through MD until it crosses the Potomac into VA via the Harry Nice bridge (yes, they take EZ Pass). As you continue south on 301 in VA, you'll pass the backside of Fort AP Hill, and further on you can either choose to cut over to I-95 (having missed all the Capitol Beltway traffic, and the construction in northern VA) at exit 104, or continue on 301 and meet up with 295 at exit 41 (we prefer to meet back up with I-95 at exit 104). My husband and I have been taking this route for the past couple of years when returning to NJ to visit family and friends, at the suggestion of another former NJ resident, and it surely beats sitting in stop-and-go traffic on I-95 anywhere between northern VA and the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Route 301 is scenic in VA, but the only thing I would caution you about it is that it IS a single lane road once you've passed from MD into VA, but there is so seldom any real traffic that it hasn't really caused us any problems. Missynancy is right that Route 13 is a nightmare if you take it all the way down, and I feel the same way about taking 17 for long distances as well. But give that 13/299/301 combo a try!
parrotgirl, this is the route we take too, unless we are stopping in DC to visit our daughter.

Great detailed directions!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM

554 posts, read 902,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
parrotgirl, this is the route we take too, unless we are stopping in DC to visit our daughter.

Great detailed directions!
Good job, Jerseyj!! I sent this to Chris to remember this route for us, too !!!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,919,956 times
Has anyone tried Jersey Turnpike to Exit 6, get on Penn Turnpike to 81, to 77 South to 40 East and take 40 east to 17 to SJP. Milewise its longer but never any traffic. Always went this route to Charlotte ex the turn to 40, just too 77 right into Charlotte.

Jusy wondering.

I have had very good luck going down 95 except for Holiday weekends. During the week even better. Maybe just Irish luck!!!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM

2,766 posts, read 7,189,576 times
biscman, we did that trip on our way to Brunswick Co via Spartenburg SC. I was surprised at the amount of traffic around Charlotte! Pretty drive though.

We also took 17 most of the way down once. Most of it was, gnaw your arm off, boring! If you needed gas, a pit stop etc you are SOL! There were a few quaint little towns that were a welcome relief to the endless miles of nothing but swamp.

Using Parrots directions, once we are back on 95 we take the 795 bypass to Goldsboro and cut the corner to 40.

About 10 years ago, we were stopped on 95S for 3 hours in Havre de Grace. A horrific motor home wreck, they flew the victims out by helicopter and then had to clear the highway of the contents of the motor home. Adding 3 hours to an 11 hour trip is significant. Doesn't happen often but when it does, man you remember it! Nice thing was, we met lots of nice people in that parking lot!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM

720 posts, read 1,463,806 times
Several years back we were heading north on 95 and were also stopped for hours at an accident scene. There was a tow vehicle draped over the highway barrier with a travel trailer suspended from it(the highway dropped off) I about had a heart attack when a helicopter rose straight up alongside the road.Don't rrmember where we were, though.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 AM

383 posts, read 730,191 times
Thanks to all my City Data friends for the feedback. Parrot, next trip I will try your route and report pack on my trip. With the beltway ttraffic (at all times of the day) and the NOVA construction, an alternate route to I-95 is a must,

Regards,

Pony

Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM

59 posts, read 113,948 times
Pony, being in Philly, we take 95 however we always leave in the middle of the night to avoid that whole DC/VA nightmare. My parents live in Atlanta and always take the 301 route when coming up North to visit and I have taken that route as well. I pick up 301 off of 50 at Baltimore tunnel and stay on 301 until Fort AP Hill. Get back onto 95 around Kings Dominion so totally avoid that DC mess. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina