U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM

11,321 posts, read 19,948,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingcoastalnc View Post
One thing keeping me up at night is the thought of gardening in sand. Our lot looks just like beach sand under the pine needles. I'm an organic gardener and know the answer to soil problems it to amend the soil with organic matter.
I don't live in St James, but I have been trying to garden in the sand for two years. I believe the answer is to build raised beds, and fill them with garden soil bought from a home and garden store. I had a great crop of okra in a barrel this year. I can't be totally organic and I used a commercial fertilizer. Keeping the ants from eating the okra flowers was my biggest problem, but I used detergent and red pepper in a water spray.

Another tip is that the sand drains very fast, and you have to water more frequently. One of my neighbors built raised beds with a complete drip irrigation system on timers. Most of the garden centers around here sell 40 pound bags of "Black Kow", which is composted manure. (I can't say whether it is free of hormones.)

I live about 80 miles away in Sneads Ferry. I would check with the St James homeowners' covenants about keeping a compost pile or bin. They may also have rules about raised beds if they are a permanent structure.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-24-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 AM

7 posts, read 14,367 times
Thanks Goldenage,

We own a vacation rental on Topsail Island, so very familiar with Snead's Ferry - love Rick's sport bar and some of the local eateries with the great local shrimp. That area was our introduction to coastal NC 6 years ago, thanks to some friends that moved to Topsail.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
We own a vacation rental on Topsail Island, so very familiar with Snead's Ferry - love Rick's sport bar and some of the local eateries with the great local shrimp. That area was our introduction to coastal NC 6 years ago, thanks to some friends that moved to Topsail.
Good to hear you know the area.

If you can't build a raised bed in SJP, the next best thing is to make pockets of soil for your plants. I dug out a shovel's worth of sand and replaced it with a shovel of garden soil and compost. Then I transplanted okra plants into the center of the pocket. They did less well than the ones in the barrel.

I hope your lot in Woodlands Park has enough sun for a garden. Our lot in Mimosa Bay has too many trees for an optimal garden. We can't cut the trees, and really don't want to. So, it's a trade-off between the nice shade and a good garden spot.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-24-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 14,367 times
The trees on our lot and neighboring ones are pretty thin high pines, and not all that many of them, some of which will have to come down when we build, so I think a garden will work out somewhere - I picked out a few spots on the lot before we bought. I know St James allows raised beds, just not sure how they feel about compost. (This is where construction porta-potties have to be covered with lattice, which seemed like a nice thought until you I saw them -- they seem hilarious to me.)

Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
(This is where construction porta-potties have to be covered with lattice, which seemed like a nice thought until you I saw them -- they seem hilarious to me.)
I think it is hilarious also. maybe if you put lattice around the compost bin, it would be acceptable.

Seriously, though, there are many more insects here than further north, including cockroaches, mosquitoes and fire-ants. I'm not sure I would want a compost bin to attract more insects.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM

383 posts, read 746,685 times
Heading back to SJP in 1.5 weeks. Is is still beach weather or should my trunks and sandals be packed away for the winter

Old 10-25-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Heading back to SJP in 1.5 weeks. Is is still beach weather or should my trunks and sandals be packed away for the winter
Be optimistic. We just turned on the heat in the house, but it should be back in the 70's next week.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:38 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,976,647 times
Whats the scoop in SJP on Fences?? Are they allowed?? I'm sure they woiuld have to be approved by Archeticture committee but anyone have any info on this?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM

383 posts, read 746,685 times
Default Fences

From what I understand you need ACC approval, but they will not be overly picky. You just have to have it the right height and on the proper property line.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,976,647 times
Makes sense!!!! Thanks...
IO read somewhere you may not be able to have a fence installed at your home in Ocean Ridge Plantation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina