U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 10:13 PM

169 posts, read 520,297 times

Advertisements

I am a member off the St. James Emergency Management Team, we declared a state of emergency for St. James and used the opportunity as a training exercise. Only three of the SJEMT participated, but it was an opportunity to practice our emergency procedures and practices. Driving in St James was not prohibited, though warnings were issued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times
OK, OK, prohibited may have been the wrong word.... perhaps " highly discouraged " might be a better way to have put it.

Everything in St James is still closed til at least noon today to see if the streets clear of the icey coating as the temperature rises.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:18 PM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times
Update.... just got back from Oak Island, had to see the surveyor to go over the site plan for our new house we should be starting construction in about 10 days. Roads are all clear inside and outside of St james... streets are all dry... although nothing opened in St James as planned, City Hall, POA office and all the clubhouses remain closed, didn't open at noon as suggested. Everything is really crippled down here when the weather gets this cold and a "bit" of snow / ice on the road really stops everything in it's tracks.... they are simply not set up for it a la Atlanta.

This is our third full winter here and I guess it's not so bad, this is the only time we've had really frigid weather for more than a day or so and as far as the ice goes it's the first time so we're fortunate not to be in the situation like Atlanta or Raleigh or so many other parts of the country, the commandants' girlfriend lives in Pensacola and she's scraping ice off her car down there so we're not doing so badly here. The house I'm building over in the Woodlands has been stopped since Monday afternoon along with many other houses under construction throughout St James, just too cold and wet to work... but that is also unusual, stopping a job completely for three full weekdays, but again, it's the first time it's happened in three winters.... "should" be back to normal tomorrow as the temperature promises to rise and along with some sunshine will put an end to this madness.... as I mentioned earlier winter is usually on the run completely around February 1st down here.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 PM

83 posts, read 123,623 times
You lucky Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 PM

383 posts, read 746,551 times
Stoney,

I will be down in SJP starting on 2/16. Maybe we can hook up.

Pony

Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 AM

38 posts, read 77,871 times
Default ONE WEEK to go!

Yep. One week from today is VALENTINES DAY!

Oh yea. It is also the day we get the KEYS to our NEW HOME!!!

HERE WE COME to enjoy NEW FRIENDS, golf, tennis, swimming, bike riding, softball, kayaking, beach bumming, dancing, fishing, eating, the clubs and fraternal groups yada yada yada. Did I leave anything out?

Please excuse me. I couldn't control myself.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 PM

93 posts, read 168,590 times
Cleanup on Isle 5 .... <points to Active Pair>

GL guys!

Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 AM

169 posts, read 520,297 times
Did anyone read the story on page one of the Port City Pilot. It's a story that clarifies everything I love about St. James. Sense of community in spades.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM

38 posts, read 77,871 times
Default Port City Pilot Article

What was the article about? I get the e-Edition and did not see anything on page one. Is it the Feb. 5 edition?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:12 PM

151 posts, read 238,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Pair View Post
What was the article about? I get the e-Edition and did not see anything on page one. Is it the Feb. 5 edition?
It maybe this article:

Once-in-a-lifetime trip to Super Bowl made possible by generosity of neighbors - The State Port Pilot : Topstory

Very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina