U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 AM

9 posts, read 14,643 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback widgaither!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,978,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgaither View Post
I'll let the full-timers respond to the weather discussion - as part-timers I can tell you that (putting aside THIS winter) we always head there for Christmas and go down in Feb and March and have biked, my husband has usually golfed - if it's true warmth you want though for winter, you'll need to get to Florida to get that. But it's what I'd call a very soft winter there.

Our experience (I like to preface that) was that we bought our first lot through the developer and it was a fine experience but our next lot we bought last year with Vic Rosado at Coldwell Banker SeaCoast. He also helped us rent our house for a couple of years during the recession. I definitely believe that going with an outside agent like Vic will get you to the best deals, best lots, no agenda look at what's there. There are some GREAT lot values there right now. There are lots for sale that were purchased at the peak of the market there for $180K plus that people are just trying to get out from under for much, much less. And very good lots. He pried into the background on the lots we looked at, was very responsive and insightful. Just my take.

Initiation fee is not refundable but it IS transferable. All part of the negotiations there if the prior owners were members.

There are people who snowbird there - just not the majority. Just like we've been vacationers - very part time - not that many of us either for this long (since 2006 - we hope to move down in 4 years or so too) but it honestly didn't matter. We are close to our neighbors, have friends there, and feel very at home there.

Best of luck!! We do love it - wonderful community, great area!

Hey Widegaither,
Maybe others can add but I want to male sure we give "Thhe Mayor" The total picture. There are 2 types of Club or Golf memberships. One with the 15,000 pricetag thast is non refundable but transferable as you noted but there is a lso a 30k membership that "Is refundable" when and if you sell your property.
That is my understading and matches what i received from SJP.

Anyone agree or disagree??

Mayor, what town are you the Mayor of??

Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 14,775 times
The information on this page has been so helpful. We are coming down to SJP next week and renting for the week. We want to get a feel for the place for longer than a weekend. We will check out some other communities but think it will be hard to compete. SJP seems to have everything we are looking for. Hoping to purchase a lot sometime early in 2015 and build by 2020. WOW, I can't believe I just typed 2020. Well, thanks again for answering these great questions. I'm sure I'll have a few of my own after next week.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM

907 posts, read 1,536,701 times
Day, are you staying "on the property" for the week? Is it through SJP or a nearby real estate broker? I will be "down that way" in Aug and planned on "stopping by" for a day but may want to extend a stay to give my wife a better understanding of the area. I really think spring and fall are the best times to sell that area as the weather contrasts are more apparent. I plan on being down that way in 2-3 years but will need to tap into my sales background to convince my wife to join me!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 PM

biscman,

I am serving my 19th year as Mayor of the Borough of Somerdale. We are in South Jersey about 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. I saw the comments about Olga's Diner. Knew the place well and was sad to see it go! Been in this area all my life.

Thanks again for the continued feedback and assistance by all. This forum has been a great resource for folks in my position.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM

383 posts, read 747,277 times
Hi Mayor, My wife and I are from NNJ and my sister used to live in Cherry Hill. We built in SJP and use it as a vacation home until I retire. We totally love the place. I am not a member of the clubs. I may join when we are down there full time. As far as the discussion about finding lots, you may want to cruse the internet. I got my lot as a foreclosure and got a great deal. Our house was completed last July. I am heading down to SJP in two weeks for some R&R. The people are great the community is awesome and the beach club is the place to be in the summer. Also, the taxes sure beat Jersey!!!!!

Regards,

Mark

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM

PonyPride,

I sure won't miss the taxes here! Been fighting that battle in Trenton since I was first elected! It doesn't seem to matter what party is in control under the gold dome. They all seem to forget their responsibilities to serve the public once they reach Trenton.

I am definitely checking out every source for a lot and hope to find a good deal while the market is still soft. We hope to lock one up in the fall and then vacation there annually until we are ready to build sometime in 2017 or 2018. Sure seems like a long way off right now!

While there seems to be some occasional lively banter on this forum, I do get the sense of pride and friendliness we here in the Northeast do not always experience. My wife and I do look forward to a different lifestyle at SJP and are working hard to drag friends and family with us.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 AM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
Lively banter ? Nah ....

Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,978,618 times
Must be referring to "Le Roi"!!!!

Ha!!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 AM

9 posts, read 14,775 times
caco54, we rented from VRBO but when you pay it's through the St. James Rental office. I can email you think link of the couple we are renting from. It's a 2BR/2BA cottage in the Seaside. We rented a Golf Villa 1 year ago for a weekend, but also wanted a longer stay to get a feel for it. Message me your email and I will get link to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina