U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM

554 posts, read 903,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Gary View Post
biscman,

I am serving my 19th year as Mayor of the Borough of Somerdale. We are in South Jersey about 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. I saw the comments about Olga's Diner. Knew the place well and was sad to see it go! Been in this area all my life.

Thanks again for the continued feedback and assistance by all. This forum has been a great resource for folks in my position.
Welcome, welcome! We live in Mt. Laurel -- "The Kingdom of High Property Taxes" and we have relatives in Cherry HIll, Haddon Heights and Maple Shade where I grew up. !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM

59 posts, read 113,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Gary View Post
biscman,

I am serving my 19th year as Mayor of the Borough of Somerdale. We are in South Jersey about 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. I saw the comments about Olga's Diner. Knew the place well and was sad to see it go! Been in this area all my life.

Thanks again for the continued feedback and assistance by all. This forum has been a great resource for folks in my position.
Mayor, I'm also originally from SJ -- Cinnaminson -- and currently work for the City of Philadelphia and live there. My husband and I checked out SJP for the first time 18 months ago and bought a lot a year ago. Our original plan was to build in 5 years but since our many frequent visits to SJP, we're hoping to build much sooner. Our next trip will be week of Memorial Day and we plan on meeting with some builders to narrow down what we want and who to go with. Every visit we've met wonderful people and look forward to the day we will be permanent residents!

As for your inquiry regarding non-resident status, my understanding is that you pay non resident club membership fees for up to five years, but after that you will have to pay resident fees. Also, the $15k initiation fee is not refundable whereas 80% of the $30k initiation fee is refundable if you sell your home.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 PM

16 posts, read 37,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Hey Widegaither,
Maybe others can add but I want to male sure we give "Thhe Mayor" The total picture. There are 2 types of Club or Golf memberships. One with the 15,000 pricetag thast is non refundable but transferable as you noted but there is a lso a 30k membership that "Is refundable" when and if you sell your property.
That is my understading and matches what i received from SJP.

Anyone agree or disagree??

Mayor, what town are you the Mayor of??
Sorry - yes you are correct on the membership. And as someone else mentioned, you don't have to join the Clubs. You can enjoy the beach club, Tommy's and all that Southort and the area have to offer. We did because my husband golfs a bit and we wanted access to indoor pool, outdoor pools, etc. But if we didn't have the golf interest, I'm not sure I'd use it that much. On the other hand, I've had people from all over the country (particularly west coast) be amazed at the low cost of our membership and all it gives.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 14,382 times
Thanks for the warm welcome missynancy! Mt. Laurel is a great community. At least we are #1 in something.....Property Taxes!!

For you permanent folks, how is the humidity in the summer months? My wife absolutely hates the humidity here which is also why she will not consider Florida.

The salesman at SJP told us that the humidity is much less at SJP than in myrtle beach and further south because of their location at the tip of the cape and ocean which provides crosswinds that eliminate wet areas, marshes and consequential humidity.

Not sure how accurate this statement was???

Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 AM

383 posts, read 730,401 times
Mayor,

The humidity is not to bad. Obviously it is the east coast in the summertime so there is humidity, but the proximity to the water helps. I find it more hot than humid. Last year there were a lot of mosquitoes, which is the only complaint I had. It is also nice to know the ocean is 15 minutes away (at least from the Reserve) so we can enjoy the breezes off the water.

I am heading down next week. Can't wait!!!!!

Pony

Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 PM

143 posts, read 227,429 times
Mayor,

Welcome to SJP!

I have to believe that with the ocean exposure that SJP has (from East to Southwest) plays a moderating factor in the weather as compared to other coastal locations (with an easterly exposure only). In the warmer months the wind blowing over that 80+ degree ocean would lead me to believe that it would be more humid than a more inland location. However it would be cooler in the summer as the ocean does not warm as much as the land. Robert may be correct that SJP is less humid than Myrtle Beach, but the difference is not that much. Looking at some stats, I did notice that SJP is about 3 degrees cooler than Myrtle Beach on an annualized basis.

Even if it is more humid than the Northern Virginia where I live, the ocean is about 140 miles closer! And traffic will be so much better too!

So as an elected official, we need your sway to get a Wegmans for us! Just kidding!

Paul

Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM

383 posts, read 730,401 times
PilotPaul aways has food on his mind.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:10 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,920,710 times
Talk about humidity....Since I moved back to NJ from Charlotte and work down Wall Street now since 2006 and having to wear a suit, shirt and tie every day NC has nothing on NYC during the summer. Humidity is horrendous even if its only from mid june till labor day. July and August the worse.

Can't wait to burn the monkey suits......Leave a dark blue one out for the undertaker though.....

Ha!!!!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM

143 posts, read 227,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
PilotPaul aways has food on his mind.
I think that is a true statement! Especially if it from Wegmans!! :-)

Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 PM

554 posts, read 903,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
Mayor,

Welcome to SJP!

I have to believe that with the ocean exposure that SJP has (from East to Southwest) plays a moderating factor in the weather as compared to other coastal locations (with an easterly exposure only). In the warmer months the wind blowing over that 80+ degree ocean would lead me to believe that it would be more humid than a more inland location. However it would be cooler in the summer as the ocean does not warm as much as the land. Robert may be correct that SJP is less humid than Myrtle Beach, but the difference is not that much. Looking at some stats, I did notice that SJP is about 3 degrees cooler than Myrtle Beach on an annualized basis.

Even if it is more humid than the Northern Virginia where I live, the ocean is about 140 miles closer! And traffic will be so much better too!

So as an elected official, we need your sway to get a Wegmans for us! Just kidding!

Paul
Oh, to have a WEDGMANS'S !! I see that when I drive up every six weeks or so to see my children back in NJ - I will have to hit WEGMANS as well as the other great stores that I know I will be lacking down in Brunswick County!!.....Ah, but to save on property taxes!! that is a big plus.....and to possibly have one or two of the children to get jobs south of the Mason-Dixon would be heaven on earth!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina