U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,976,285 times
Reputation: 387

Advertisements

As respects Moving companies, if you don't mind advising, what is a ballpark charge for moving from lets say NJ to SJP?

Did you self pack or did movers pack for you?

Putting my budget together....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Long Island NY
471 posts, read 491,178 times
Reputation: 264
What I have learned so far!
The movers charge by the pound. They will come to your house and give you an estimate. They will go room by room and input the items to be moved. The program used will give an estimate of the total weight to be moved. Any items to be packed by the movers will be extra. There are other extras such as pianos etc.
On moving day the truck will be weighed before and after the loading. The difference is the actual weight and determines the amount to be paid. That's the basics that I have learned by my two estimates so far. I expect to get another 2 estimates in the next 3 weeks. Both times that I have gotten estimates I have learned some new facts.
Other variables include insurance, storage and seasonal rates.
I'll be glad to pass on any other knowledge which I acquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,976,285 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
What I have learned so far!
The movers charge by the pound. They will come to your house and give you an estimate. They will go room by room and input the items to be moved. The program used will give an estimate of the total weight to be moved. Any items to be packed by the movers will be extra. There are other extras such as pianos etc.
On moving day the truck will be weighed before and after the loading. The difference is the actual weight and determines the amount to be paid. That's the basics that I have learned by my two estimates so far. I expect to get another 2 estimates in the next 3 weeks. Both times that I have gotten estimates I have learned some new facts.
Other variables include insurance, storage and seasonal rates.
I'll be glad to pass on any other knowledge which I acquire.
Thank you very much. We have been spoiled as we have relocated 6 times with Corporate moves and we never incurred the expense. Usually the packers show up at 7 am, done by 4 pm and all we need is a bag to carry us over till ther truck shows up at new location. Funny story, one of our moves, Atlanta to Chicago, and we opened one of the boxes and they packed the garbage can in the kitchen. It still had a bag of garbage in it.

I was figuring about 8-10 k for Budgetary purposes.

Am I on the high side or low side? They would pack..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,320 posts, read 19,944,310 times
Reputation: 5107
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Am I on the high side or low side? They would pack..
It depends on how much stuff you have, but I suspect your estimate is low. We paid $16K to move from Silver Spring, MD to Sneads Ferry, but I have a ton of books. They packed and unloaded a 2600 square foot house. We got estimates as high as $20K.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-15-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:34 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
383 posts, read 746,551 times
Reputation: 214
I am not bringing anything from North to South. I told my wife we will have the king of garage sales, LOL. The only thing that scares me is that we eventually have to move a baby grand piano. I hope the moving cost does not exceed the value of the piano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM
 
20 posts, read 36,122 times
Reputation: 21
Hi All. It;s been a while, but a lot going on. I started a new part-time job - no joke- survived 2 tornadoes in Denver quivering in the shelter! House went on the market Friday, June 6 and we went under contract Monday, June 9. Hurray! Hopefully all goes well with inspection and closing then we will come down to sign the papers to build! I can't wait! Will post gain when we are heading down as we would love to meet any of you who might be around. It's scary, exciting and daunting, feels surreal in so many ways. We've been working so hard for so many years with this seeming so far away nd now it seems within reach. So excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,976,285 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I am not bringing anything from North to South. I told my wife we will have the king of garage sales, LOL. The only thing that scares me is that we eventually have to move a baby grand piano. I hope the moving cost does not exceed the value of the piano.
Funny you say this Pony about not bringing from the North to the South. Maybe thats the best move for us too. Our plans were to buy new furniture once we got down there but with costs stated of 20k it probably doesn't make sense to pay that amount of money than go out and spend another 20k+ on new furniture. Maybe we will just bring Bedrooms furniture as that is new furniture in the 3 bedrooms.

glad i asked and appreciate the info. you guys just saved me a nice chunk of change....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,320 posts, read 19,944,310 times
Reputation: 5107
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Funny you say this Pony about not bringing from the North to the South. Maybe thats the best move for us too. Our plans were to buy new furniture once we got down there but with costs stated of 20k it probably doesn't make sense to pay that amount of money than go out and spend another 20k+ on new furniture. Maybe we will just bring Bedrooms furniture as that is new furniture in the 3 bedrooms.
The $20K quote I mentioned include moving all our furniture.

In retrospect, I would have preferred to get rid of more of the living room furniture. It is too heavy and dark for the south. It does make sense to keep at least one bedroom set while you wait for new furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
 
59 posts, read 116,416 times
Reputation: 50
When we eventually move down, we too will be traveling light and buying new once we get there. I think we have 4 pieces of furniture that we'll bring and everything else will be given away or sold on Craig's List or garage sale. We will probably use our home as a vacation home so we can slowly buy furniture and hopefully it'll be close to being furnished when we come down full time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 03:00 PM
 
20 posts, read 36,122 times
Reputation: 21
We too, will be bringing little with us so hopefully not too expensive to move and store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top