U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM

59 posts, read 116,397 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that if you don't purchase membership within a certain period of time (a year perhaps) then you have to pay $5k activation fee. Same thing if you purchased a home and the previous owners did not have Club membership, then you'd have to pay same $5k activation fee. I'd have to pull out my paperwork, but that's my recollection. Also, the $30k initiation fee allows you to play on the Reserve course, you get 80% refund if you sell and I believe 100% if you live there after 20-30 years. Again, I'd have to double check my paperwork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 12:22 PM

59 posts, read 116,397 times
How do you check the financial health and viability of a builder? After touring many homes and looking at floor plans, we've come across one home that is exactly what we're looking for and we liked the builder and his work. However, the builder does not have a lot of experience building in SJP. He builds in BF, BHI and Wilmington. The builder was a Diamond winner in the last couple Parade of Homes. We want to make sure if we decide to go with this builder, we won't have any problems with the build.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2014, 12:23 PM

78 posts, read 169,901 times
Pony

My understanding is that the Signature Membership is the only one offered now and it covers all courses and club houses.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:00 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Isn' there a Premier membership? Or did they eliminate this one??

Old 09-09-2014, 12:19 AM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
Getting anxious to head back to SJP. My wife and I are certified "empty nesters," with the last child off to college. Not looking forward to the Jersey winter. Looking forward to see our friends at SJP. If anyone has any info about the happenings in the community please post them.

Pony

Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
Howdy

New here. Soon to be living in SJP. House is under construction at the corner St. James Drive and Gauntlet at Windrush, about a 3 minute walk from the ICW water park. The wife and I are retired, mostly. I am a Paramedic and RN. I may do some part time work to stay out of trouble.

Though I am new to SJP I do have access to "inside" information being a property owner and may be able to answer some questions or give my new comer perspective or insight as it were.

About the Clubs at SJ

You do not have to join. You can live in St. James and take advantage of much of what it offers without belonging to the Clubs. This includes the Waterway Park, Beach Club, miles of hiking and biking trails etc. These amenities fall under the Property Owners Association or POA and are included in your POA dues which are currently $790/year. Certain communities within SJP have additional dues.

Club membership starts with a $5,000 initiation fee. Signature membership is then either $30,000 (80% refunded when you leave the Club) or $15,000 (non-refundable). Currently the membership fee can be paid in thirds over three years with no interest.

There are a number of Club membership dues levels depending on single membership, family, Golf, Tennis, or Social levels. Signature Social starts at $165/month and Signature Golf/Family is $507.50/month.

The social membership allows use of the clubs and participation in any activities the Clubs hold. You can use the swimming pools and fitness centers and driving ranges.

The golf membership allows you to play any of the 81 holes at four clubs without greens fees with 14 day advance tee time sign up.

Non-golf members can still pay to play from about $45 to $65, dependent on time. The Reserve Club is not included and is limited to golf members only.

Summary: Not including the $20,000 it takes to join the Club, POA and Social Club dues are about $2,770/year.

Personally I do not think that is too bad for everything SJP has to offer. I lived in a condo for over a year where dues were $6,000 a year for one pool, a small exercise room, a sauna, and use of a boat slip.

The completion date of our home in SJP is 14 November. We are already doing some preliminary packing. Unlike many of the people in SJP, we are North Carolina natives and have traveled extensively with in the state and done a fair amount of travelling. We power boat, motorcycle, kayak, bike ride, walk, like to cruise and travel.

Anyway, if you want down to earth responses with no ax to grind or ulterior motives about SJP, NC or anything else I may or may not know about ... I'm sure to have some kind of opinion.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:10 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Welcome aboard Ditch.

Was on vacation last week with wife and my adult children who live in Charlotte who joined us at the house I rented at Sunset Beach. A very interesting weekend to say the least. Although I have been very impressed with the SJP world I never drove past the entrance on 211. I was actually concerned of the remoteness as all i saw was the 14 mile drive from 17 to the entrance. As such i was leaning toward Ocean Ridge Plantation. So I said to my wife just for kicks lets stay on 211 and see where Southport is. Low and behold 211 takes us right in to the village of Southport. We felt what a great little town to be able to live near as we didn't feel Calabash was the same as southport.

So now we have put SJP back as option 1...... We are definitely looking forward to getting out of NJ and down to the NC coast for good.

By the way, they are prediction this winter will be worse than last years winter up here. Too old for this weather and 1 1/2 hr commute to Wall street every day.....

Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM

93 posts, read 168,535 times
I had my Pre-Drywall Meeting with Logan Homes last weekend and things went well. One of the sub-contractors had taken a few liberties (deviations from the drawings) that needed correction but my Site Superintendent promptly got the “team” back out there most of the day and resolved issues before the day was over.

The “major” issue I made reference to during my last post will also be resolved to my satisfaction.

Here are some latest pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49p8o5gi5sb3cdj/20140906_111530.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q864zpo478did98/20140906_112019.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g5bz0n2kmt7lzw/20140906_111956.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3ucj33jgtkkj0g/20140906_111554.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/up8o4r00gz4sw0j/20140906_111642.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3saseb8nnma7s7p/20140906_111842.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pf35l417q685w0/20140906_111939.jpg?dl=0

On paper, construction completion is scheduled for mid-December, but we may be a bit ahead of schedule.

Gatorbyter

Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM

12 posts, read 27,800 times
Looks very nice Gatorbyter. Like your choice of brick and looks like a nice lot as well.
Good that all is going well for you.

We are coming down this Friday for pre-drywall inspection.

We are planning on being down mid December to avoid the next "worse winter" brrrrrrrrrrr

And I am from Michigan, Buffalo, Delaware and PA.....just keep moving me to more sunshine!

MG&me

Old 09-10-2014, 04:55 AM

154 posts, read 186,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Welcome aboard Ditch.

Was on vacation last week with wife and my adult children who live in Charlotte who joined us at the house I rented at Sunset Beach. A very interesting weekend to say the least. Although I have been very impressed with the SJP world I never drove past the entrance on 211. I was actually concerned of the remoteness as all i saw was the 14 mile drive from 17 to the entrance. As such i was leaning toward Ocean Ridge Plantation. So I said to my wife just for kicks lets stay on 211 and see where Southport is. Low and behold 211 takes us right in to the village of Southport. We felt what a great little town to be able to live near as we didn't feel Calabash was the same as southport.

So now we have put SJP back as option 1...... We are definitely looking forward to getting out of NJ and down to the NC coast for good.

By the way, they are prediction this winter will be worse than last years winter up here. Too old for this weather and 1 1/2 hr commute to Wall street every day.....
Have you checked out Winding River Plantation a few miles from SJP? It is a "semi" gated community. The golf course is separate entity at WRP, but the you can't beat the prices for the amenities. We looked at SJP, but it was too large for us. WRP only has resales for houses and lots since it is sold out. A few builders own some of the lots in WRP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina