U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,976,647 times

Advertisements

Mastercreek
Once i do my rendition of "take this job abd shove it" as the song goes, I will be living the Las Vegas lifestyle. Lets remember, no Clocks in Vegas!!!!!

No more Alarm Clocks, no Suits, 1 tie for the Pine box, no more dress shoes, 1 pair for the Pine Box, no more cufflings-1 set for the Pine Box, no more Briefcase!, and best of all no more Ferry Tickets.........................

4:35, hour and a half to catch the Ferry!!

Chop-Chop!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Right on biscy...... what I really don't understand is the hysterical need for the "FIX" of "going shopping" all the time while retired down there..... I think my wife has already stocked up enough stuff in our closets to last through our entire retirement years... ( hopefully 30 yrs ). I was actually thinking / hoping that a longer drive just "might" be a deterrant to shopping.... and that would be a good thing.... IMHO.

PS: Do ya think you'll still set the alarm for 4:30AM when you get down there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM

794 posts, read 1,646,166 times
Well biscy.... you may just have to take the ferry over to Bald Head Island once in a while.... just to re-mem-member those good ol' days !!!! However..... I do believe that neckties are strictly prohibited on that ferry.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 PM

907 posts, read 1,534,999 times
Once again we are of the same vintage 56 here and 5 years away from giving up on the commute, one hour each way here. As far as the shopping and drive I agree with Stoney but after looking at Ocean Ridge and driving to St James it does appear to be "off the beaten path". Stoney is correct though as once your there who cares. I do believe that there are more golf options near Ocean Ridge than SJ and Sunset Beach is a tad nicer than Oak Island. Still undecided between the two and look forward to Stoney's analysis after his visit.

Last edited by caco54; 11-19-2010 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:19 AM

Once more, with the caveat that we have not actually been there yet and any "info" that I present is from online reasearch and / or speaking with the developers's reps onsite or realtor / residents AND at the Live South shows.

With that said, regarding Ocean Ridge VS St James..... the below website lists 17 courses in the St James / Southport area and approx 30 close to the Ocean Ridge / Shallotte area.... so logistically there ARE more golf courses near Ocean Ridge and further South towards Myrtle Beach, although I believe they are all within a 30 minute drive from either plantation. We do enjoy playing golf and everyone says we will play "more" once we are down there with more nice weather and time to play but we are not twice per day golf fanatics nor liable to become that, so I believe the four+ golf courses and clubhouses INSIDE either plantation would be plenty enough for us, but that's just us.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses...t=Southport+NC

Also, both plantations were reportedly opened at the same time "in the early 1990's"..... however Ocean Ridge lists less than 500 home actually built and St James lists over 1300 homes actually built..... I believe that there has to be a reason for the difference in numbers in the same time period. Perhaps it actually IS the location of St James, being further from the "hubub" of Myrtle Beachs' "civilization" and nearer to the "sleepy little fishing village of Southport" ( which we like ). Perhaps it is that St James has its' own full service Marina with restaurant and markets right on the waterway AND the St James beach club has an oceanfront pool. Perhaps it is that St James is "purported" to be "more" of a private Country Club feel / operation with less "outside" play / visitors. All of these factors must come into play at some point. Without having actually been there, we can only speculate, but there must be some correlation between the amenities / location / mode of operation and the numer of homes built ( I think ). In any case we shall be investigating in person, in depth very shortly and see for ourselves.... as everyones' hot button is obviously different.... therefore the earlier reference to "that is why they make so many different flavors of ice cream" which was obviously lost on some.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-20-2010 at 05:38 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 AM

907 posts, read 1,534,999 times
There is a difference in those numbers as Ocean Ridge is all "free standing" homes while the St James total includes condos and townhouses. Not sure what the break out is on the condos or if the "lock out" units count as a seperate "home". I wonder if Ocean Ridge offered the same diversity of "homes" what the numbers would look like?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 AM

OK so here's the answer, ( what they both said anyway ) as I just got off the phone with both places......

Ocean Ridge is 100% single family homes, 513 are built at this time. All restaurants and golf are public, anyone can come in and use them at any time with no membership required, just higher golf fees. The POA is $850 per month.

St James has 2060 single family homes built plus 300 condominium "units" built at this time, ( total of 2,360 units at this time ) 1 condominium is a unit. The entire place, restaurants, golf, everything is now 100% private, there is NO outside play at all, ( the only time non member/residents can play is with the weekend preview packages ) only members can use the restaurants and starting next month only "house" charges are allowed for the restaurants, no credit cards. The POA is $760 per month.

To be perfectly frank, the profile I just described at St James is more to my liking, as I thought originally. In addition, the $15K membership initiation fee applies to "both" places.... my first thought is why would I pay $15K to "join" a place that allows the public to come in and play golf with NO fee ? This may be getting more towards the answer of why St James has so many more ( just shy of 5 times as many ) homes / units than Ocean Ridge in the same time period.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-20-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 10:50 AM

MasterCreek

Are the POA;s of 850 and 760.00 truly monthly charges or are they annual??

"Inquiring minds want to know" If monthly is that the charge for UNLIMITED golf and Amenities at each plantation??

Hawkster

Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Well.... I don't know how or when they are paid.... I just know that that is the annual POA charge for each place that is for the maintenance of common areas and security patrol, etc. However I DO know that that is simply the POA charge and does NOT include ANY golf at all at either place. At both plantations, a one time non-refundable initiation fee of $15K is required to allow you to then apply for and pay the monthly membership fees ( several different levels ) for either a "social" ( non-golf ) membership or the full "golf" ( also several levels ) membership... in fact at Ocean Ridge the $15K only lets you apply for golf membership at two of the four clubs, an additional $5K ( total of $20K ) is required to apply for membership at ALL four of their courses. It does get a bit complicated, but again, I am beginning to see why there are more people at St James, but we ARE going to both places when we get down there.... just to see what's what in person.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 AM

Weekly update:

Subject: member2membernews

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

NOT AGAIN

Yesterday was a beautiful day, wasn't it? Sunny in the high sixties and today is the same. Absolutely beautiful weather!! Good to be here. Anyway, we live on the 13th green at Members and yesterday we decided to pick up all the pine cones that spread across the ground from our house to the cart path. So, I was sitting on our back deck having a great cup of coffee while "the wife" was picking up the cones and placing them in those biodegradable bags. I sit out there because I want her to know that we are a team -- I support her and from that viewpoint on the deck I can tell her where the pine cones are, you know, supervise her. Hey, that's who I am, that's what I do. We are a team. I know, a lot of you guys think I am a wussy because I help "the wife", but that's O. K. -- I am comfortable in my masculinity.

Anyway, I noticed two shinny golf balls nestled down in the pine straw so I immediately pointed them out to "the wife" and she brought them to me. Guess what? Range balls!!! Are you kidding me? Range balls in the woods next to the 13th green!! It had to be the guys who went to the Comfort Inn for breakfast. Wouldn't you just like to get your hands on these guys?

THANKSGIVING -- MY FAVORITE

Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday. Family, friends, and good food. No presents and no pressure. It would be great if Christmas could be like Thanksgiving.

I need to tell you a neat Thanksgiving story. Friends of ours have a grandnephew who lives in California; he is a Marine Corps Lieutenant stationed at Camp Lejeune. Well, Lieutenant Tom is coming down to St. James on Thanksgiving and our friends and Tom will be having dinner with us. Tom visited here a few weeks ago and we got to meet him. He is the oldest of 11 kids and a very cool guy. When Judith makes Thanksgiving dinner she likes to make something special for each person -- something that they might fondly remember from Thanksgiving at home. Well, Judith asks Tom what she can make for him that would be special for Thanksgiving. We're thinking he will come with something like a special vegetable or a special kind of pie. Tom says he really loves a particular kind of Cranberry Sauce, but doesn't know what it is called. O. K., Judith makes different kinds of Cranberry Sauce. What kind Tom? Well, Tom thinks for a minute or two and says the Cranberry Sauce he likes is round in the dish and his rings around it. We were all a little puzzled, but after questioning Tom for a few minutes we finally figured out what he was talking about. I asked him if the Cranberry Sauce he liked is in the shape of a can. Bam! What he fondly remembered from home was the Cranberry Sauce that comes in a can. When you plop it out of the can and into a dish, it has the rings around it from the can. Only the oldest of eleven and a Marine would think that canned Cranberry Sauce was special. So bedsides Judith's homemade Cranberry Sauce we will have the canned stuff too. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

$84,000 -- TRULY, WE ARE "TAKING CARE OF OUR OWN"

That's the number, give or take $1000. That's what we raised for our Members Chef, Keith Kopka who has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). I am proud to be part of St. James. Thanks to St. James LLC, Troon Golf and all St. James Troon employees, our Committee, all the resident volunteers and Wayne Moody. We had a golf tournament and dinner for 375 people on Friday that was the culmination of our fundraising for Keith and his family. Keith and his wife, kids, mom, dad, brother, sister, father-in-law and mother-in-law were there, as were tons of Keith's friends, cousins, etc. It was a very inspiring evening. Keith has a very strong, beautiful family. At the end of the evening Keith, his wife Megan, daughter Jaden (11) and son Bruce (14) came to the podium to speak and you could have heard a pin drop -- all 375 of us were silent. I'm sure all of us were thinking what an unbelievable bad break this was and that it could it could happen to any of our families. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Keith, for that moment, was our child, or our grandchild. Our hearts go out to that beautiful family. Keith's wife and kids are absolutely gorgeous and sweet and 11 year old Jaden has my heart -- I want to steal her and make her one of my granddaughters.

A thank you note to Keith, Megan, Jaden, and Bruce: Thank you so much for sharing November 19th with us. Thank you for your smiles. Thank you for your laughter. Thank you for your humility. Thank you for your gratitude. Thank you for sharing your challenge. Thank you for your inspiration. Thank you for shrinking our "problems". And lastly, and most of all, thank you for your love. God speed.

TIME FOR A BREAK -- FOR ME AND FOR YOU

The last six months have been hectic and rewarding. Between our Hospice fundraiser and our fundraiser for Keith we have generated more than $300,000. I can't express to you how much your generosity and kind words and notes have meant to me. It almost makes me think I like all of you -- almost!!! I have to be careful here, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, you know, that I might be a nice guy.

For the next few years, I will be taking a very low key role in any St. James fundraising events. I will do grunt work - no more emceeing. Reason one (and the main reason): Someone else should be in the spotlight and getting the credit that is unjustly given to me. People are constantly complimenting me for doing all the work. It makes me feel uncomfortable because I know my contribution is minor compared to all the people behind the scenes who are doing most of the work and who get no credit. The guilt is part of being Irish -- but it's real. Plus, I am getting tired of hearing myself and I'm sure you are too. Time for a change. Reason two: I need to take a month or two to deal with some minor heart issues. Reason three: I want to spend some more time with my Hospice work. I just acquired a second patient, and yesterday I drove to Boiling Spring Lakes to meet him. He's 63 years old, has pancreatic cancer, is depressed, lives alone (wife committed suicide two years ago) and can no longer drive. I wonder why he is depressed. After about two hours, I did get a smile out of him -- this makes the ride home better. Our Hospice Volunteer Coordinator always seems to come up with some challenging cases for us. We will take him out shopping next week and on Thanksgiving, Judith will fix him a dinner and I get to deliver it to him. We'll see if we can't make his journey pain free and dignified.

Talk to you all next week, and thanks again for everything.

Bill McCormack
Member2membernews@gmail.com

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM

Biscy.... all I can say is bravo for Bill McCormack and his crew. That is, I believe, just exactly the kind of community we would like to be a part of. Going to make it a point to seek Bill out and say hello when we are down there. Sounds like a nice bunch to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina