U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 07:53 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,389 times

Advertisements

Lived in NC for 20 years. Yard all sun, we had Bermuda....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:51 PM

4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
@ditchoc

I think you will find the SJP current POA fees are $790/yr.

Gatorbyter
TY for correction .... my keyboarding is not that great ...

So ... there are some small gators around SJP ... I'm not surprised .... as long as you use common sense ... they would be more of an exotic viewing encounter than a danger.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 PM

4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
Gonna have to make the decision soon ..... Zoysia or Bermuda grass. I have ruled out Centipede and St. Augustine.

I have read thru the comments on this forum (and others) and still undecided. The yard will be mostly sunny. My intent is to have a lawn service and I have no problems with liberal watering.

So anyone with hard opinions, I am all ears (Zoysia or Bermuda).

Gatorbyter

Will be putting in turf before too long. I'm going Bermuda. Both are dormant and brown in the winter but Bermuda is stays green longer and goes green sooner. Zoysia is extremely dense and tends to block weeds better and is softer underfoot but, according to my landscaper, Zoysia requires cutting more often to keep it looking nice.

When they go dormant, probably in the next month or so, neither will need much water over the winter.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:13 PM

383 posts, read 746,969 times
You can contact the agricultural cooperative in Brunswick, but I believe Bermuda had to be cut more and is more prone to fungus and other diseases. I planted Zoysia Crown grass and am very satisfied.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,389 times
They go Brown after the first "Frost". Bermuda that is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Will be putting in turf before too long. I'm going Bermuda. Both are dormant and brown in the winter but Bermuda is stays green longer and goes green sooner. Zoysia is extremely dense and tends to block weeds better and is softer underfoot but, according to my landscaper, Zoysia requires cutting more often to keep it looking nice.

When they go dormant, probably in the next month or so, neither will need much water over the winter.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM

17 posts, read 35,199 times
IMHO..It seems to Zoysia yards in SJP are more robust... to riding mowers, disease, and lower watering.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:46 PM

383 posts, read 746,969 times
Any updates on the modification of Woodlands Park, the status of Legacy Park, the Marina gate and the newly proposed Moss Hammock Wynd extension to Pine Forrest. Seem like out town of SJP is turning into a city. Not exactly what I was looking for, but at least it is a lot like back home.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 22,277 times
Default Legacy Park

I just saw a blurb on the local tv channel website that the residents of SJP are upset about the expansion of Legacy Park. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:49 AM

11,323 posts, read 19,956,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
I just saw a blurb on the local tv channel website that the residents of SJP are upset about the expansion of Legacy Park. Anyone know anything about this?
I assume it is a continuation of the conflict about the small lot setbacks in Legacy Park. Which channel was it, and what do you remember?

The discussion here back in August has conflicting information about whether the side setbacks were 5 or 10 feet. That would result in houses being 10 or 20 feet apart. Legacy Park was also being allowed smaller setbacks from the golf course side. Discussion on pages 214 and 215 of this thread: Thoughts or information on St James Plantation

I would suggest not buying a lot in Legacy Park until the conflict is settled and actual plats are available.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:40 AM

588 posts, read 1,210,131 times
I don't live in Coastal Carolina (though my parents do), but I have some Zoysia grass in my yard because my neighbor does, so that side of my yard is all Zoysia.

I abhor my Zoysia for half the year-- from about October 15 to April 15, and love it from April 15- October 15. Helpful, right?

I HATE that the Zoysia turns completely brown and dry for 6 months of the year. It looks like pure hell. But once it greens up, I love that it looks nice even when it is long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina