U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 AM

20 posts, read 37,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Ummm ..not so fast .... my house is supposed to be finished in 40 days, I'm already moving some things into a Southport storage unit in preparation. Once I'm in, then you can close and lock the gate.

I am thinking of riding my Harley down on Sunday for the POA meeting if the weather permits. So if you see a white haired old man on a red Ultra Classic, please don't run him off the road.
Ditchoc, my wife and I bought a lot in Woodland Park and will be building/moving in 3 years. When I do lets start a Harley club, I have an 03 Fatboy. BTW, I am glad to see there will be other riders in SJP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 AM

45 posts, read 155,790 times
The St James Dr extension couldn't happen fast enough in my opinion. I sure hope that's on a short-term plan somewhere. It would certainly address some of the access point issues, and would save those folks past the Marina some considerable time in getting out of the development.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:03 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,978,186 times
Thanks Nancy.

Crazy isn't it. Been working for 39 years dealing with scheisters, backstabbers, egomaniacs, liars, cheats etc for 12-14hrs a day. When I retire all I want to do is relax, go to the beach, play golf, sit on the beach, drink some Molsons every night, play some .25 cent poker, hang out with my dog Stymie etc.....

who the heck needs or wants all this inner fighting.......

Not for me if this is what life will be at SJP......

What a shame, beautiful place........

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Don't forget the Brunswick County Parade of Homes is this month!! Their website finally put the homes that will be spotlighted into the website....Floor plans, prices if for sale, and what builder they are. Most of the Brunswick County plantations will be featured....!! PS - things are quiet in ORP - I don't see much of any kind of bickering that I see at SJP - wow !!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:05 PM

All valid points Robio, good message to spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobioAXP View Post
I think any time you get 4,000+ residents in one area, you're probably going to get some differences of opinion on how best to maintain and grow the community. While I'd just sit this issue out personally, I have no doubt that there are a bunch of Type A personalities in a population that size that are pretty passionate about their stances on all things St James. On top of that, as retirees, many of the folks have all the time in the world to focus on issues like these and get wrapped up in the sentiment. It seems like most issues are handled proactively and in a congenial fashion. But it doesn't surprise me that things escalate and can turn a bit nasty from time to time.

Heck, in my neighborhood of 144 homes here in Cary, we've had neighbors openly slam the HOA board on message boards for planting the wrong type of flowers at the entrances or adding too much lighting to an entrance sign, etc. One guy even started a campaign to pave over the neighborhood pool because it was too costly and attracted too much "riff raff". (keep in mind that Cary is one of the lowest crime areas I can think of, and HOA dues are a whopping $600 per YEAR!)

For Legacy Park, I can't tell what's fact and what's not on this issue (and I think it's not all black or white, so much of the reasoning is in the eye of the beholder). I just hope cooler heads can prevail. Maybe just a necessary speed bump in the road that serves to get the community more focused on the development's future?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Gotta love that Westfield NJ humor!!!!

Go get em Stoney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
Gotta love dripping sarcasm, well done Stoney.

Gatorbyter

Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Great post, was in a local gin mill last night, as I took a hooky day today, and talking to a few chaps about my commute, about 1hr 50 minutes each way and I mentioned I took the Seastreak Ferry. Its a little on the high side, $655.00 per month, and these blokes take the bus and train and all of a sudden I was looked at "as one of those rich people on Wall Street". I almost choked on my beer. People are ignorant no matter where you live whether by your address or even by your commute.

What a world we live in.... I should Go back to Jersey City and take the Path subway and this way I wouldn't offend anyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissearay View Post
We leave CT to make SJ our permanent residence tomorrow, and I am still excited and happy!
I always enjoy reading Stoneman's eloquent posts and am glad to see he has made a comeback!
Despite all the controversy and issues going on (there are always issues and controversies as others have pointed out), I am thrilled to be moving to SJ and believe we made the right decision for us. Soon after we became property owners we met some people at Tommy Thompson's who held their fingers up to their noses when they heard we purchased in the Reserve saying it was snooty - they did this in jest. What reasonable person decides someone is a snob just by where they live? IMHO people are people -good/bad, snooty/down to earth, etc. regardless of where one lives. We are far from snobs and look forward to enjoying our retirement in SJ.
Hope to meet some forum members as we acclimate to SJ.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 41,387 times
Getting the residents beyond PollyGully out has been talked about and in the works for years. We bought our lot 2004 and it was talked about then. Not sure when it will be done

Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 PM

4,987 posts, read 2,240,241 times
I received this on Sept. 11

"As many of you know The Town of St. James has been working for a number of years to extend St. James Drive from its current terminus to Middleton Boulevard (4 lane between Oak Island and NC 211/Midway Rd.). We had another significant step occur this week. The NCDOT committee that controls access to all state roads recommended our application for approval. There were two caveats included. We will be working with the Division office in Wilmington to resolve those two questions. The final approval and permit comes from the Chief Engineer's office.

This gets us much closer to providing a second entrance for those people living south of the Polly Gully bridge. Once we have the permit in hand we will set about selecting a contractor to build the Town's portion of the road.

We will keep you updated with our progress.

Town Council"

I spoke with security in regards to the above and they seemed to think it would probably still be 2 years to completion.

I speculate that White Spruce Glen will connect to this extension based on its proximity and there is a gap at the end of the road that has no numbered lot. If this happens, then Woodlands will have another entrance. Perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 PM

45 posts, read 155,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I received this on Sept. 11

"As many of you know The Town of St. James has been working for a number of years to extend St. James Drive from its current terminus to Middleton Boulevard (4 lane between Oak Island and NC 211/Midway Rd.). We had another significant step occur this week. The NCDOT committee that controls access to all state roads recommended our application for approval. There were two caveats included. We will be working with the Division office in Wilmington to resolve those two questions. The final approval and permit comes from the Chief Engineer's office.

This gets us much closer to providing a second entrance for those people living south of the Polly Gully bridge. Once we have the permit in hand we will set about selecting a contractor to build the Town's portion of the road.

We will keep you updated with our progress.

Town Council"

I spoke with security in regards to the above and they seemed to think it would probably still be 2 years to completion.

I speculate that White Spruce Glen will connect to this extension based on its proximity and there is a gap at the end of the road that has no numbered lot. If this happens, then Woodlands will have another entrance. Perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for the very timely update! I'm glad things are moving forward.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:11 PM

23 posts, read 41,387 times
Default Poa meeting september 4th q and a

Q What is the status of the St. James to Midway extension?
A This is a Town activity. All documentation is completed and in Raleigh awaiting final signature from State and Federal agencies. Once approved, the Town will do detailed engineering to start the project.

C Woodland Bridge, west side, has a bolt thatís coming out.
A That side of the bridge was struck by a truck. Owner acknowledged fault and will pay for
repairs. POA will review damage and remove bolt if required.

Q Is there an emergency exit plan for Woodlands?
A No, the POA is not working on a plan. Unaware if the Town of St James is looking at
issue. Because of the surrounding wetlands, there may be no other feasible exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina