U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times

Advertisements

Don't trll Leroy but he's from New Jersey too!!!!!!

Damm Yankee!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
Biscy, I believe you may have a good point there..... wouldn't want to traumatize anyone unnecessarily.......

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Alrighty dighty then..... biscy, hudsy, caco and canalslb........ below is a "recent" clambake at Tommy Thompsons at the marina.......

Login | Facebook

I do believe we'll fit right in.... as long as they don't run short on the booze and food !

Old 11-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Cocktails and food appear to never run short on at the ol Plantation. Have to keep active with the workout machines!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!!!!!

(Even you Leroy)!!!! Don't get mad at us, this is what keeps us all young

Old 11-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Another FYI.... photos of the aforementioned fundraiser for the chef, .....

Login | Facebook

Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 AM

907 posts, read 1,534,357 times
37 and freezing rain here. Looks to be 70 there. Five years and counting.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 AM

Wink Priceless!!!!

Subject: member2membernews

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

A THANKSGIVING STORY

No, it's not one of those heartwarming, tear-jerking Thanksgiving stories, but a funny story. Oh, we had a fabulous dinner, and our Marine Corp guest ate heartedly which was great to see. We had a crew of people for dinner and before dinner one of our guests, Bobby Sherwood, with prompting from his daughter, told us a story from his youth. Now, I just love life stories. Jokes are kind of funny, but real stories about some of the dumb things we all have done are to me the best. When you step back and look, people are really funny -- "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players". Shakespeare always got it right.

Anyway, about 50 years ago Bobby went to a County Fair in Virginia with a buddy of his and Bobby said this kid was the toughest kid in his town. They had a few beers and were taking in all the different venues at the Fair. There was one attraction that presented a challenge. A gentlemen had an Orangutan in a large cage and his deal was that if you went in the cage and stayed in there you would get $5 for each minute you stayed in there. You had to ante up $5 and if you stayed less than a minute you lost your $5. And you could go in alone or have two people go in. Well, these two guys are young and very strong, so they decide they will do it. The one stipulation was that when they went in the cage they would have to "agitate" the monkey. This would be easy money. Bobby's friend had a plan. He tells Bobby, when we go in you smack the Orangutan and then I will jump him. Bobby thought this was a great plan, especially since his friend was notoriously tough. For their safety, they were issued football helmets (this was the first clue). O, K., in they go and Bobby said the orangutan was sitting on the floor, leaning against the bars on the other side of the cage minding his own business. The orangutan had a muzzle on so he couldn't bite (this is the second strong clue). Not to be denied, they both walk over to the animal and Bobby smacks it in the forehead. Bam! "It was like hitting a coconut". Just as soon as this happened the orangutan flew straight up in the air, grabbed a bar hanging from the ceiling and then dropped straight down on Bobby's shoulders. Bobby said this all happened in a blink of an eye. Now the Orangutan is jumping up and down on his shoulders and has one of his hands in the front of the helmet and the other on the back of it, trying to pull Bobby's head off. His friend bolted for the door and Bobby is circling the cage with an Orangutan on this shoulders, trying to pull his head off and Bobby is screaming, "shoot him, shoot him!!!" The trainer intervened and Bobby's buddy was holding the door of the cage for Bobby to leave. His "tough" friend never touched that monkey. Well, I have to tell you, I about wet my pants watching Bobby reenacting the event circling our living room pretending he had an Orangutan jumping up and down on his shoulders trying to pull his head off and yelling, "shoot him, shoot him". I had trouble going to sleep that night I was laughing so hard and as I write this I am still laughing.

You could never tell me a joke as funny as this -- truly "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely actors". My mom would always say, "You will learn something every day". She was so right, but some things are more helpful to learn than other things. I learned from Bobby to never smack an Orangutan in the head (or anywhere else). Probably will never need this knowledge, but it is good to know.

Only in America. Think about this. Think about the guy who owned the cage and the orangutan. I can just see and hear his parents speaking to him as he reached adulthood and was ready to go "out into the world". Son, what are you going to do with your life? "Well Mon and Dad, I think I will buy an orangutan and a cage. I will put the orangutan in the cage with a muzzle on and I will get people to pay me $5 to go in and smack the monkey and watch the monkey beat the hell out of him." "Son, it warms our hearts to know we raised such a wise and caring son." I said before, Only in America -- what a great country.

POTPOURRI

Our Hospice number is now $215,500 and our Keith Kopka number is $87,500. That's over $300,000 we raised in a couple of months. Don't tell me St. James doesn't care. Thank you all so much.

It occurs to me that most people who tune into TV are not interested in the news, but are interested about what other people think of the news. Sad.

I love the Sunday comics. I guess because they are in color and remind me of my youth. But tell me this, doesn't Blondie still look hot. I mean she's 80 years old and still looks great with a great figure. And I never read the Lockhorns as a little boy, but it is a very clever strip. On Sunday Mrs. Lockhorn asks Mr. Lockhorn, "Will you stop referring to me as the Current Administration?" He doesn't call her "the wife" but calls her the "current administration" -- very cool.

I am so happy to see that GM is turning the corner and hopefully Chrysler will too. Please -- this is NOT a political statement of the right or wrong of the automobile bailout. I am not claiming it was the right thing to do but as a former GM employee it makes me happy that they are still in business and for someone who travels and stays in Ohio and Michigan, I am happy that those poor folks might be working again soon. It is painful to see all those stores and businesses closed and people out of work.

See you all next week.

Bill McCormack
Member2membernews@gmail.com

Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Cocktails and food appear to never run short on at the ol Plantation. Have to keep active with the workout machines!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!!!!!

(Even you Leroy)!!!! Don't get mad at us, this is what keeps us all young

ah, bisc i'm not mad. i live with "yankees". i'm used to that.

i've long observed that there are a subset of older, 40+ or 50+ aged transplants who act in a way that is really hard to tolerate. i spotted one who seemed like he or she was the stereotypical "know it all", and decided to poke him or her with a stick to see what would happen.

in the process, i gained a better understanding of what the people of st. james are all about, and what sort of person is drawn to this type of neighborhood. it is growing clear that cultural isolation is actually the purpose and intent of the "community" aspect of st. james, rather than an unintended consequence.

Last edited by le roi; 11-30-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM

My friend le roi.

Just when i though you were loosening up you send another Dagger up 95 North. The epitome of a older 40+ or 50+ transplant who can afford to spend 500k+ for a house and country club lifestyle in most casesdo not have intolerable personalities. Not all of these people are "know it alls either". You need to sit back and relax and be open minded to different types of personalities. Usually different personalities are very entertaining to observe. Not a reason to stereotype every successful transplant as a obnoxious yankee. Most just like to have a good time and not take life as serious and worry about how others perceive them. Having gone thru 09/2001 and witnessing tremendous destruction downtown NYC and losing 8 friends from High School in the senseless bombings of the World Trade Center most of us Yankees have a new perspective of life and want to enjoy whatever time we have left. We like to kid around, have a few beers, play some golf, and meet new people from all over the country. Not sure where you see "Cultural isolation" as a driver of St James residents.
If I can make a suggestion to you I would suggest to not be so negative and enjoy people from different parts of the country. Sit back, have a beer and get to know people before you judge a whole community.

Hang in there dude and take your medicine tonight before you go to bed.

Only a joke!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Not sure where you see "Cultural isolation" as a driver of St James residents.
let's start with the fact that so many people from New Jersey or Long Island show up here talking about St. James.

are they running an ad in the New York Post, or something? why does it seem like they are all coming from either New Jersey or Long Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina