U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times

Advertisements

Alrighty dighty then.... since my goal here is to discourage new people from coming to St James, mainly because as it has been said before, it is YOUR hard earned money you have savend and why spend it in a place that has so many downfalls ? There's obviously bickering ( terrible and shocking ) amongst some residents..... invisible lot lines and setbacks that do not affect anyone but cause much consternation and sleepless nights for a few people.... real estate salespeople that sometimes "overpromise" ( also shocking and never before seen in civilization ) ! Do not take a chance, there are too many other plantations in the area, dozens in fact, that do not have any of these problems ( or do they ? ).

Anyway, I would like to take this oportunity to address another supposed terrible, life threatening problem here in St James. A comment was made recently regarding the "gestapo-like tactics" of the SJP security patrol. Really ? Gestapo -like tactics ? What a disgusting analogy, to compare security patrol personel who are simply doing their jobs to that other disgusting organization in Germany in the 30's and 40's ?... the developer / POA has chosen to post a speed limit, clearly posted everywhere you go, for the safety of walkers, bicyclists, golfer crossings, etc..... so just like everywhere USA, YES EVERYWHERE USA, if you speed you are liable to get a summons for speeding.... Duh ! What a catastrophe, you speed and you get a ticket.... what a new idea never before heard of in EVERYWHERE USA. When you disobey the speed limit on the NJ Turnpike, GSP or any other road in the USA you are taking a chance on getting a ticket, it's the same thing here... so to avoid a ticket, I guess the prudent course of action is to obey the speed limit..... Duh ! Gestapo-like tactics ??? Hardly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 08:50 AM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
I have received a ticket at SJP, and I was upset because I just purchased a lot and was not familiar with the speed limit drop from 30 to 20 in front of Founders. I contested the ticket, lost and simply paid it.

Fast forward 1 year and I was doing the 20 MPH speed limit on Essex. A golfer was not paying attention and did not look before proceeding across the road to the third hole on the Reserve course. Even at 20 MPH I had to hit the breaks hard to avoid them. If I was not gong the speed limit the result may not have been pretty.

Bottom Line - The speed limits are there for a reason - OBEY them! If you get a ticket just "Man Up" and pay it.

I also have to say that the security people at SJP have become much more friendly. They talk, wave and try to help. If that's the biggest problem I have to deal during retirement, sign me up now.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:17 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Well I guess I was-am the guilty person who used that term for the Security Staff. Actually I was paraphrasing what a few of my buddies who live in SJP as well as a article in one of the papers. So I will stand here and apologize to anyone I offended. Won't be the first time my size 10 1/2 got stuck in my mouth. Sorry guys....

This morning after I made my first cup of coffee I got a email from a buddy who just moved to SJP last month and I was surprised this didn't make the board. Supposedly effective Jan 1, 2015 Troon Mgt, who runs the Clubs are raising the membership fee from $30k to $45k as well as limiting some of the allowances on number of tee times as well as using the Driving ranges. Apparently quite a few of the residents who are aware of this are pretty upset and planning to write to Troon Mgt.

Last edited by biscman; 10-11-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 11:34 AM

23 posts, read 41,342 times
That's to cover the lawsuits from the people whose houses are allowed to be to close to the golf course. LOL!

WELCOME TO PARADISE!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:09 PM

23 posts, read 41,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Well I guess I was-am the guilty person who used that term for the Security Staff. Actually I was paraphrasing what a few of my buddies who live in SJP as well as a article in one of the papers. So I will stand here and apologize to anyone I offended. Won't be the first time my size 10 1/2 got stuck in my mouth. Sorry guys....

This morning after I made my first cup of coffee I got a email from a buddy who just moved to SJP last month and I was surprised this didn't make the board. Supposedly effective Jan 1, 2015 Troon Mgt, who runs the Clubs are raising the membership fee from $30k to $45k as well as limiting some of the allowances on number of tee times as well as using the Driving ranges. Apparently quite a few of the residents who are aware of this are pretty upset and planning to write to Troon Mgt.
You really don't need to apologize. There was truly one security guard that was horrendous. As nasty as they come. She was referred to as just what you said. She is no longer employed by SJP. Security much better lately.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 PM

Hi Bisc,

I heard about the "proposed" golf changes. Residents are justifiably upset with the following proposed changes:

1) You can only use the driving range if you are waiting to start your round

2) People with social memberships can only golf 24 rounds per year

People, especially those with social memberships, are upset because the put down $15K or $25K and will have golfing restrictions if this passes.

I personally did not hear about the 80% refundable membership fee going up to $45K, but that will be disappointing if true. SJP will then be split between the have and have nots. I like to golf, but there is no way in hell I would plop down $45K to have the right to pay monthly fees to do so. I would rather save that money, and the large monthly dues. Let me see:

* want to swim - beach club pool or ocean
* want to golf - be guest of a member or drive 10 minutes down to Carolina National at WRP
* want to exercise - Golds Gym in Shallotte
* want to bike ride - SJP
* want to run/walk - SJP

I am wondering if this is now an issue because of all the building going on and the concern that there may be to much traffic on the golf courses. I am not close enough to even gauge the reason for this "potential" change. All I can say is looking out my kitchen window onto the Reserve course in the afternoons, it is usually empty.

I am not going to be a full time resident of SJP for a few years. I built there for the "sense of Community." If the bloom is off that rose at that time I will be there full time, My wife and I will then have to gauge the quality of life and decide if we really want to live there.

Pony

Old 10-11-2014, 04:22 PM

78 posts, read 169,901 times
Biscman and Pony are correct. As a social member,I golf approx. 80-90 9 hole rounds at SJP with 16 guys in my golf group. The courses are fairly empty in the afternoons. I do not understand Troons limitations on social golfer 24 rounds a year in the afternoon only,not to mention the bar tab we run up in the clubs??? When I paid into the club membership, it was implied that there was no limit on tee times,as long as the golf members were taken care of first as it should be. In addition to that, they are also restricting the driving range(which does not cost more to operate whether there is 1 or 10 people hitting balls).Now Troon is saying for $45 more a month you can play tennis and use the driving range.That is fine for new members thinking about joining,but should not be for present members who were told there were no restrictions.I have seen one letter so far with over 100 signatures protesting Troon's changes and I am sure there are others on the way. SJP is a great place to live and I do not regret it for a minute, but the developer,club management and Legacy Park infighting is leaving a bad taste in people's mouth.I do not believe Homer Wright is very proud of the way his 2nd generation is handling some things

Old 10-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Shep

By the way,the security guard you referred to now works at Ocean Ridge Plantation.She checked us in this week when we golfed there.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Tim,

Have you heard that the 80% refundable membership fee was going from $30K to $45K? Also, is there a restriction on the time you can be a social member. I thought there was a 5 year limitation, but I may be wrong on that point.

What concerns me is that residents lay out the hefty membership and activation fee and then the benefits change and/or the rates increase. Being on fixed incomes, we don't want to be priced out in the future. I also believe that once the community is complete the clubs and courses won't be managed by Troon, leaving additional uncertainty. I guess instead of living in a Golf and Beach community, I should think of it as just a beach community. Well, even though I can't golf, I can at least waive to the golfers as they pass by my backyard on the Reserve Cost....Maybe I should look at Ocean Ridge and hang our with my friendly security guard.

Pony

Old 10-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Pony

Did not hear about the $45k or 5 year limit. Most people I talked to all feel that Troon is making a big mistake with the social golfers.When a group of 8-12 golfers can play on 27 different area courses with am 18 hole tee times using the First Tee Card for $25 vs pm 9 holes @ SJP for $30 with a limit on rounds, guess where they are going. Our group can easily drop $300 for lunch/beer down the road from SJP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina