U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 02:54 PM

150 posts, read 238,403 times

Advertisements

I have no idea. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Pilot..

Did they raise the initiation from $30k to $45k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 06:07 PM

45 posts, read 155,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
For 2015, the prices and conditions change.

Signature Social

Family:
Resident - $180
Non-resident - $115

Single is eligible for a discount, but they did not list it in the price sheet.

The Signature Social Membership allows the Member to use the fitness, swimming, dining, Clubhouse and other special facilities of the Reserve Club, The Founders Club, The Members Club and The Players Club. Social Member is limited to playing 24 annual rounds of golf at The Founders Club, The Members Club and The Players Club. Use of practice facilities will be limited to being a registered golfer prior to round on that day. Seven day advanced tee time sign-up are included at the The Founders Club, The Members Club and The Players Club.

So the rates went up a little, but now your golfing is limited to 24 times per year (no more Reserve Club) and no practicing unless you are scheduled for that day.
I thought the driving range limitation was for Members Club only (at least that's how I interpreted the 2015 change)?. Does it include Founders as well? As an out-of-towner, it's expensive enough to have to maintain a social membership. I rarely play an actual round of golf, but I hit the Founders range just about every day I vacation down there (probably 30 days in a year). That plus the boating are the real joys I get from St James. If I can't use the range anymore (or have to pay an additional ball fee), it kinda defeats the purpose of me having a membership in the first place. We have the Harborwalk pool and only dine at the clubs on special occasions, so it's not entirely the most practical expense for me as it is. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if I can't hit the range when I feel like it.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
The proposed changes impact ALL of the clubs/courses. There are petitions circling to prevent the 24 round per year limitation and the the use of the driving range only on the day you are playing a round from being implemented. Along with those items my concern is what happens when the development is completed and mgmt of the clubs changes. Will the rates go through the roof? I certainly don't want to lay down $15K or $25K and then have rates spiral out of control. You are basically at the mercy of the mgmt company and the SJP board, because if you stop paying the monthly fee you lose the entire $15K or $25K fee, at least that is the way I see it.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter and fan of SJP, but with all that's going on, I do not have a high comfort level that decisions made will always be in the resident's interest. That is why I am taking a wait and see approach before I join the clubs. Many people bought their lots and the $15K membership was thrown in. Thus, their risk is limited. That is not my situation, so I will have to see how things develop over time.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:06 AM

93 posts, read 168,535 times
I share concerns raised by several people here. A proposed change to the Membership & Fees/Dues coupled with new facility usage restrictions that has no grandfathering provision, would seem to be a not-so-subtle message that I definitely don't want to hear.

As SJP continues to grow in population (a given), if the existing amenities/facilities do not grow commensurately, I have concerns that "they" will fix the problem by simply pricing those limited amenities/facilities such that the resource contention issue self-corrects. Of course, that is going to result in a LOT of dissatisfied homeowners, as it would become the realization of PonyPride's "haves and have-nots" scenario.

Gatorbyter

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Just to make sure there is no misinformation for 2015 changes ..... I wrote Becky Jones, Membership Director @ SJP regarding upcoming Membership/Dues changes. Here is her response in red:

Presently, the Signature Initiation Fee is $15K, the Signature Deposit amount is $30K and the Activation Fee amount is $5K. We anticipate increasing the Initiation Fee to $20K and the Deposit amount to $40K as of January 1, 2015. If you join The Clubs prior to January 1, 2015 you will be subject to paying the current pricing for the Initiation Fee or Deposit and Activation Fee. There is also an Application Fee due in the amount of $500.

I have attached for your review our 2015 Signature Membership Dues and Fees Schedule which outlines the current pricing for the Signature Golf Single Non-Resident Membership and Non-Resident Food and Beverage Minimum. The 2015 Non-Resident Food and Beverage Minimum will remain unchanged for 2015.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Regards,

Becky C. Jones • Membership Director • The Clubs at St. James Plantation
3779 Members Club Boulevard • Southport, North Carolina 28461
p 910.253.9500 • f 910.253.9611 • bjones@troongolf.com
Managed by Troon Privé • Private Clubs of Distinction ● Platinum Clubs of America “Five Star Private Clubs”

I will link the attachment from my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wogrj4e8cpf1wc6/2015_Signature_Membership_Dues_and_Golf_Fees.pdf?d l=0

As I read it, the Signature Sport Membership has the 24 annual rounds of golf limitation (just like the Signature Social Membership) but does not seem to have the restriction limiting the golf practice facilities to days where a round is played.

It all sounds like a done-deal to me. So unless something changes, if you know you want to become a member, best do it before Jan 1, 2015 and save $5K or $10K, depending on whether you choose the non-refundable (save $5K) or the 80% refundable plan (save $10K).

Gatorbyter

Last edited by Gatorbyter; 10-13-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 AM

20 posts, read 36,119 times
Who do we contact to add our names to the petition protesting the changes regarding golfing and use of the diving range?
I don't golf at all and don't plan to but my husband was planning to take it up and the access to the driving range was huge on his list, which we were told was unlimited, at the time we purchased in SJ.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Thanks Gator, this is basically what my buddy sent me Friday. I was wondering if you could explain to me the difference between The Initiation Fee and Initiation Deposit????

Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 37,576 times
Default sole discretion

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I got a 20K membership with my lot purchase in 2006. I thought it wastransferable because it was verbally stated. I found out early this year that the transfer was only for the firstowner of the lot. Their “solediscretion” is the most important part. In 2006 the social membership was $45 no food purchase required for anon-resident; it will be $115 plus $200 food for a non-resident in 2015. If itkept pace with inflation, it would be $56 in 2015. Makes me think they cannot manage well. At theirsole discretion they added to food purchase three years ago. I have never been able to spend that much asI do not visit that often. First thefood was $300, then they lowered it to $200,. I checked with NC laws and if they want to put it up to $1000 the yearafter, they can. They will neverterminate a membership category otherwise they will have to pay the money back At their “sole discretion” they can make itundesirable to stay in a membership category. Once everyone resigns or tradesup, then can terminate the category and owe nothing. Every ten years is like paying for themembership. I am dropping the membershipat the end of the year. I wanted to doit sooner, but you can only drop at the end of the year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM

@biscman

I am not a member, but here is what I understand .... if in error, I am sure someone will correct ....

It's important to distinguish between Membership costs and Monthly Dues. Membership is analogous to the "cover-charge" to get you into the joint. Once you are in, to stay in, you have to pay Monthly Dues of some type ... dues vary depending on what you want to do (Signature Golf, Signature Sport, and Signature Social). Now back to the Membership costs ...

SJP Membership is established in one of two ways (using 2015 values):

1) Signature Initiation Fee, non-refundable, $20K - as long as you are a member actively paying dues, your membership is good, but that $20K is a sunk cost.

2) Signature Deposit - 80% refundable, $40K - as long as you are a member actively paying dues, your membership is good, and if you decide to terminate membership or sell at some point, you would get back $32K (so only $8K of that original $40K is a sunk cost, but of course, they have your money for their use indefinitely).

<as others have said, SJP provided insta-membership as part of new property purchase (a while back); I am not sure what restrictions there are on those Memberships, or how they work>

Regardless of which Membership plan you choose, there may be an additional $5K Activation Fee up front. For example, my property was previously owned and that owner was never a Member, so I have to activate it (hence, the additional $5K). I believe if you buy a "new" property, that $5K expense does occur.

Gatorbyter

Last edited by Gatorbyter; 10-13-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Thanks Buddy!!!!

So if I wanted just the Beach access, pools, health work out room, etc, be able to eat at club houses I would still have to come up with either 20 or 40k??

Assume my monthly costs would be less as I am not joining any golf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina