Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,479,899 times

Advertisements

Le roi my man,

The reason is probably due to the fact that St James Plantation has been coming up to the tri state area at least 2 times a year with the "Southern Home Community" extravaganza at local hotels showing the St James Lifestyle. I have gone the last 2 years at the Parsippany Hilton and to tell you the truth these shows are "PACKED" with Baby Boomers who would love to enjoy the Tar Heel State lifestyle. It is some event to say the least. Roughly 25-30 Communities send rep teams to these shows and do a great job of "welcoming" us Yankees to enjoy the Carolina Lifestyle, they push "Lots" versus Resales but that is understandable. They also have these shows in Ct., Chicago area, and other parts of the country. I can't think of anyone who wants to stay in NJ when they can retire to the beautiful south. At least all the people I know.

Don't hate us, we really aren't that bad once you get to know us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,597,003 times
ok, the extravaganzas do explain a lot. That explains why it feels like such an endless stream of the same type of people, from the same place, about the same age, with similar vocabulary and writing style, with similar attitudes, similar expectations, similar questions about what they're getting into, et cetera.

Surely you can understand why this would seem odd and troubling to me.

anyway, if a person wanted the "Carolina lifestyle", why would they move to somewhere with so few North/South Carolinians?

Last edited by le roi; 11-30-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM

805 posts, read 1,993,245 times
Dear biscy ( BTW, is that anything like Lobster Bisc ? )..... it would seem that you cannot explain or rationalize the backwoods predjuduces, jealousies and good old fashioned stereotyping by some individuals.

However, a good question "might" be..... why would some single out St James as the the oddity while there are at least a dozen other "gated" communities in the immediate area like Ocean Ridge, Winding Ridge, etc..... not to mention the "non" gated communities of Oak Island and the many others between Southport and the South Carolina border. Don't those thousands upon thousands of people huddle behind their gates/doors and try not to fit in too ? In addition, unless I miss my guess, those "other" gated comunities are also heavily/mainly populated with NJ, NY and Chicago transplants too.... just as the communities we visited in Savannah, Hilton Head and Pawleys Island were.... it seems like those civil war squirmishes ( you know, the ones where the South wins !!! ) are still alive and well in some peoples' minds.

It just makes one put a finger to one's temple and say hmmmmm ?

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-30-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM

hey stonecreek, are you trying to live this "Carolina Lifestyle" ?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM

OK Leroy... I'll take the bait !

If you mean, by "Carolina Lifestyle"..... having better weather/no ice and snow, lower property taxes, living near the beach in a very successful and nicely thought out community with nice amenities including golf, pools, private beach house, full service marina with restaurant, clubhouses with restaurants, community activities and gatherings, low/non-existant crime, with thousands of other like minded individuals ( who are actually from "ALL OVER" the good old USA ) that all seek the above and as demonstrated earlier they have a great sense of community, charity and giving attitudes.... then the answer would be a resounding yes.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM

No, I meant: living amongst people who were born here. The best way to live the "Carolina lifestyle" is to be around people who were born and raised in the Carolinas.

I'm not a local, by the way. I do make an effort to blend in, though.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Well Leroy.... once again I believe your "vision" of the world may just be a bit skewed..... ( you can google "skewed" for a definition )..... in New Jersey where I reside AND in New York, just as in North Carolina, we live amongst a great deal of people that were not born here ( they would all be "transplants" that were seeking a better life for themselves - integrating themselves into the area). That is of course the American dream. If everyone throughout history, in ALL the states, had the same myopic view of a "New Jersey lifestyle" or "a carolina Lifestyle" as you seem to have, a la keeping out the "outsiders" that don't "belong"..... then there might not even BE a North Carolina OR an America to move around in.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-30-2010 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,479,899 times
Wow!! amazing the reaction one gets when some of us who have worked some 35 years and want to enjoy the balance of our years in a very nice part of the country. If I can be honest for a minute (yup, another jersey trait, we say what we feel) I don't understand why you, Le roi, feel so negative toward people from the northeast. I have to believe you had a run in or a car accident, or something had to turn you so against people from up 95 North. So what happened?? I think i told you before i moved back home to NJ i had lived in Charlotte NC for just under 20 years and in my neighborhood we had Southerners, Mid-Westerners, North Easterners, Californians etc... and i know it might seem or sound Utopian but none of us could care less where we were from. Sure there were some unique personalities but you will find that anywhere and everywhere one lives.
My fellow Garden Stater, Master Stonecreek, stated it very well and eloquently.
"If you mean, by "Carolina Lifestyle"..... having better weather/no ice and snow, lower property taxes, living near the beach in a very successful and nicely thought out community with nice amenities including golf, pools, private beach house, full service marina with restaurant, clubhouses with restaurants, community activities and gatherings, low/non-existant crime, with thousands of other like minded individuals ( who are actually from "ALL OVER" the good old USA ) that all seek the above and as demonstrated earlier they have a great sense of community, charity and giving attitudes.... then the answer would be a resounding yes."

You also say you are not local mr Le roi, where are you from? Just wondering.

And don't tell me your from Brooklyn or Staten Island!! Ha!!!

Those areas are 2 of the 5 boroughs of NYC by the way.

Ok, back to work for me, will be checking in later to see how my buds are doing!!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 AM

OK, hold on just a minute, did I miss something ????

(((( No, I meant: living amongst people who were born here. The best way to live the "Carolina lifestyle" is to be around people who were born and raised in the Carolinas.

I'm not a local, by the way. I do make an effort to blend in, though. ))))) by Leroy.

Do you mean to stand there and tell me that my best bud, Leroy, is NOT a "native" of Southport ? Do you mean to tell me that he is a... dare I say it... "a transplant" from somewhere else... NOT born and raised there ? I'm stunned, as I sit here and wonder what the "REAL locals" reaction was when HE interloped his way into the area ? How can this be ?

Having never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.... I seem to have missed this little particle of information !

This may just shed a new light on the proceedings..... I'm looking up the correct spelling of hypocrisy right now.... it looks like Leroys' lack of "street creds" ( a term familiar to viewers of the Sopranos, that is IF one has HBO hooked up to the single wide.... ) may just be showing !

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 12-01-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
I don't understand why you, Le roi, feel so negative toward people from the northeast.
who said I feel negatively about all people from the northeast? that is a poor inference.

i feel negatively about people from the northeast who stay clustered together in the same gated community, and present an adversarial front to their neighbors; yes, absolutely. you mentioned something earlier to the effect that we have a 'right' to live where we want. indeed, and i have a right to ask questions and be critical of things i don't like.

Last edited by le roi; 12-01-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina