U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 05:27 AM

154 posts, read 186,408 times

Advertisements

I did a construction loan with the NCSECU, or North Carolina State Employees Credit Union. It went pretty smoothly. You don't have to be a NC employee, just have a friend that is a member recommend you and you are in. Nice thing about NSCECU is they are everywhere in the state. Seems there is always one close by.

I don't the details of obtaining an loan, but the membership requirements are listed below.

Membership Eligibility

State Employees' Credit Union is a member-owned, not-for-profit cooperative. Membership is limited to persons who meet the eligibility requirements.

Eligibility Requirements

• State of North Carolina employees
  • Public school employees
  • Retirees from state employment or the public school systems
  • Employees in county departments of Health, Mental Health, Social Services or Civil Defense
  • All members of the North Carolina National Guard
  • Immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) of current members
  • Those sharing a single economic unit with current members
https://www.ncsecu.org/AboutSECU/Mem...igibility.html

If you don't meet those requirements, The NCSECU Branch Manager told me can be a volunteer fireman at the Supply Fire Station or the local hospital in Southport and you would qualify for membership. The CCC is an option if you live in Brunswick County.

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 12-17-2014 at 06:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:05 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
Thanks for the clarification ... membership is pretty broad but just being a friend IS a bit too broad.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:08 AM

There was an article in The State Port Pilot on 24 December about SJP, the Town Council and Planing Board, primarily about the Unified Development Ordnance.

Trying to boil down the article and define some of the issues is a bit of a challenge. First a few definitions:

The Cape Fear Council of Governments plans and administers a variety of federal, state and local programs in Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover and Pender Counties. It works under the direction of a delegation of locally elected officials representing member governments and attempts to work with both the public and private sectors.

Allen Serkin is the director of Cape Fear Council of Governments.

The Town of St. James has a town council composed of 5 members that include Rebecca Dus, Mayor: Bruce Maxwell, Mayor Pro Tem: Jim Donely, Finance Officer: John Lewis, Councilor and Wayne Deutscher, Councilor.

Bruce Maxwell is the liaison to the St. James Planning Board.

The Saint James Planning Board Consists of Ron Johnson, Chair: John Sullivan, Vice-Chair: Stephen Dragos, Betty Russell, and alternates Merry MacBarb and Bob Acordino.

The St James Unified Development Ordinance, or UDO, are a set of regulations for the Town of St. James and are authorized by and subject to North Carolina law. The regulations govern the use and development of all land, waters and structures within the corporate limits of the Town with some limitations. The current UDO, in its entirety as a PDF document, is 328 pages.

Now that we have all that clear. A few statements were made in the newspaper article that are interesting. It is not always clear who is making the statements and the following is paraphrased in some instances but true to the original statement.

Underlying policy issues must be resolved before St. James UDO can be put in its proper form.

Bruce Maxwell stated issues with the UDO became apparent when the planning board and the town council discussed Legacy Park last summer.

It appears Legacy Park was permitted “by right” years ago when SJP was planned and approved by Brunswick County. Since that time the town developed the UDO which apparently has some conflicts with the original SJP plan approved by Brunswick County.

Public meetings such as the one held by the developer for Legacy Park are not required by state law. A development either meets the requirements of the UDO or it does not. Public opinion is not is not considered. A developer may accept or ignore neighborhood input.

This same message was delivered to the town planning board by Allen Serkin. Serkin made additional statement including: There is confusion among governmental functions: legislative, where town council set policy; administrative, where the planning board would apply that policy to development; and quasi-judicial, where the planning board would apply policy with discretion. The UDO goes beyond what the state requires and sticking with state law is always a good thing. The UDO is a living document and will always have to be tweaked. These statements are not necessarily in the same context.

The planning board can act in either an administrative or quasi-judicial capacity, but not both in carrying out the mandates of the UDO.

Bruce Maxwell seems to be in favor of the UDO being more administrative in nature.

New state regulations need to be incorporated into the UDO.

Currently, UDO appeals go before the town council. It appears that appeals should go before a town Board of Adjustment composed of members not on the town council. It seems to me that this is saying persons writing the regulations should not be enforcing them.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:56 PM

59 posts, read 116,397 times
Does anyone know what POA fees are for Club Villas or Marsh Villas? Thinking of purchasing a condo to use and rent out until we build. Would we have to buy membership for that property if we already have Signature Membership with our lot?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:17 PM

abby310w

POA fees are the same for everyone. If you own property in St James the POA fees are $790 a year billed in January and July.

Club Villas has additional HOA dues of $640 quarterly for outside maintenance etc.

Marshwinds has additional HOA dues $250 monthly.

HOA dues are in addition to POA dues.

If you are paying your monthly dues for Club membership ship, the membership should be active. Once you are a member of the Clubs, you are a member. It would make no sense to join a second time. If you are not paying your monthly dues you need to talk to the club membership director. Rules on joining have changed through the years. You say membership came with your lot. That maybe true but the club director can tell you your status as far as activation and initiation fees if you have not been paying dues.

My fee schedule is from 2013. They may have changed a bit.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:02 AM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
Had a great time at SJP. Got to hook up with new Friends (ditchoc and Gatorbyter) and see my other friends. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and I hope to see you when I return shortly.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM

93 posts, read 168,535 times
Thanks for your help PonyPride. I am back in Florida and getting another "load" ready!

Gatorbyter

Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 PM

Default Great to See You

Gator,

Your house is beautiful. Send me a PM the next time you will be at SJP and we can see if our schedules align.

Regards,

Pony

Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM

Let me start by saying I am a "big kid," and I like going to clubs to see bands. I like the kind of music 30 year old people listen too. I know there is the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, but does anyone know of any rock and roll clubs in Wilmington? Being from New Jersey I am used to having the Stone Pony, Wonder Bar and the Paramount in my backyard. If anyone from Mike's Garage Band reads this post, they can probably provide an answer.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,855,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Let me start by saying I am a "big kid," and I like going to clubs to see bands. I like the kind of music 30 year old people listen too. I know there is the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, but does anyone know of any rock and roll clubs in Wilmington? Being from New Jersey I am used to having the Stone Pony, Wonder Bar and the Paramount in my backyard. If anyone from Mike's Garage Band reads this post, they can probably provide an answer.
Ziggy's By the Sea and Whiskey in downtown Wilmington have live music. A good source for info is Encore, a weekly entertainment paper:

| "Your Alternative Weekly Voice"

Closer by, and on a more intimate scale, is Old American Fish Company at the Yacht Basin in Southport. An old shack literally built out over the water, it has local live music on Saturday nights. Its open from sometime in March until October/November, with music starting around April. Down the Street, Fishy Fishy also has local music on Friday and Saturday nights, pretty much year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina