U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 PM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times

Advertisements

biscy.... correct once again and I believe that phenomenon was covered in detail on an earler post.

I am not only heartened by everyone's concern for our well being while down there..... but I am also uplifted by the knowledge that some older baby boomers from "Chitown", another bastion of yankee-like individuals, have ventured forth into the North Carolina area, albeit being very wary of going too far south towards the coast. Between New Jersey, New York and Chicago, the coming invasion over the next few years should be a whopper. With this much advance warning, I trust Leeroy will have ample time to fill enough sandbags to protect the ol' homestead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 PM

572 posts, read 1,413,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Without the Yankee influence, there would be no Restaurants still in Business down there.
Not true. Southern Brunswick County lives and dies by the ebb and flow of the tourist. The majority of the citizens that populate Southport and the Oak Island mainland are locals. Most of the yankee influence is concentrated in the subdivisions along the 211 corridor and doesn't make up a large enough percentage of the overall population to make or break a restaurant.

This thread cracks me up though. I've been in St James numerous times and it's a very, very nice subdivision but one day the secret is going to get out about why the real estate in that subdivision is marketed almost exclusively to retiring northerners.

(COUGH,COUGH,COUGH,overpriced,COUGH)

But you didn't hear that from me.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Ok T2T.... I'll bite.... please tell me, what's the secret ?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM

907 posts, read 1,534,680 times
The thread went quiet then bang back at it. As my Polish grandmother would say "fight nice". Not sure what that meant but it seems to fit. Stone Man I look forward to your updates during and after your visit. You do seem already sold on the place as you so aggresively defend it but appear to be in a position to offer an objective opinion. Once again I am intersted in hearing your analysis of the St James and Ocean Ridge "enviroment".

As an up 95'er soon to re locate to NC who was born and raised on Long Island and lived in NJ for a while I appear to be a bad "double dipper" to our friend. I have lived and loved the "beach/shore" all my life and one of the attractions for me is the new sand in NC. I believe it is a draw for all who come from NJ and NY.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM

caco.... just as an fyi, we were very excited prior to each visit to each place/area we have been to, they all have their pluses and minuses. It is difficult NOT to be "up/sold" about the place you are visiting next after all the research and online info/photos/videos and anxiety that goes on before each adventure. Having said that, we ARE particularly upbeat about St James and the Southport area as all of the "downsides" to the other places do not "seem" to be present at St James. It "seems" to have all of the good things we are seeking with none of the negatives of the previous ventures. We will also go out to Ocean Ridge and perhaps a couple of others too along the way. We do have high hopes for St James though and will, I hope, be able to be objective about the entire area.

I must also say that Commandant Beth has reminded me several times that St James was actually the very first place we saw online well over a year ago and it IS what started us looking in the South.... why we went to all the others first I cannot say specifically, but so far the others were very nice but each was lacking in something and the boss has reminded me that online at least and the research so far and converstaions with people from our town who actually have a place there or relatives that do, seem to confirm our thoughts about the place being what we want. But only a first hand visit will tell so we're off next week to see for ourselves. Getting a bit antsy now as we have only 7 more sleeps to go.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,976,285 times
T2T
You have perked my interest on your comment or hint that you felt St James was "overpriced". When you consider all that this community has to offer besides the "Brick and Mortar" (that means house Leroy) including 4 Golf Courses with 4 Clubhouses and restaurants, Marina, Beach Pavilion with Pool, Marketplace including Tommy Thompsons, the bar, I'm not sure one can call St James overpriced. Golf courses don't have outsiders like other subdivisions.

Fill us in. What Plantation would you say has better value at a reduced price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Not true. Southern Brunswick County lives and dies by the ebb and flow of the tourist. The majority of the citizens that populate Southport and the Oak Island mainland are locals. Most of the yankee influence is concentrated in the subdivisions along the 211 corridor and doesn't make up a large enough percentage of the overall population to make or break a restaurant.

This thread cracks me up though. I've been in St James numerous times and it's a very, very nice subdivision but one day the secret is going to get out about why the real estate in that subdivision is marketed almost exclusively to retiring northerners.

(COUGH,COUGH,COUGH,overpriced,COUGH)

But you didn't hear that from me.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 PM

51 posts, read 136,481 times
I would recommend that you check out Rivers Edge in the town of Shallotte. It is close to shopping and 12 miles to Holden Beach. There are many good deals in the subdivision. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,341,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Fill us in. What Plantation would you say has better value at a reduced price?
how about: not a plantation?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:08 AM

Saw only 8 homes for Sale in Rivers Edge on Rivers Real Estate: Rivers NC Real Estate - Rivers Property For Sale Edge&sortby=List_Price Asc,

Not sure this place is a apples to apples comparison in terms of amenities. Looks like only 1 golf course unless i am missing something. Its a nice one though, I have played it.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:09 AM

OK, whats a better "Doublewide"

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
How about: not a plantation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina