U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 01:55 PM

4,985 posts, read 2,235,360 times

Advertisements

According to the State Port Pilot dated December 2, 2015

"The Town of St. James is now owner of record of a nine-acre parcel needed to extend St. James Drive to Middleton Boulevard, providing a second exit for residents living south of Polly Gully Bridge."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 02:03 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,856,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
According to the State Port Pilot dated December 2, 2015

"The Town of St. James is now owner of record of a nine-acre parcel needed to extend St. James Drive to Middleton Boulevard, providing a second exit for residents living south of Polly Gully Bridge."
This article form the Wilmington Star-News provides a bit more info:

St. James uses eminent domain to acquire property for new exit | StarNewsOnline.com

Including this:

"For more than a year the town has tried to secure 2 acres of land needed for the extension of St. James Drive to Middleton Road. But negotiations had failed with the property owners, DeCarol and LeDane Williamson, so on Nov. 24th the town filed in court to acquire the property through eminent domain.

At this week’s monthly town meeting, a resident asked Mayor Pro Tem Bruce Maxwell if it would take another year to complete the road.

“I hope not, but we now own the land,” Maxwell replied.

But due to the acquisition of the land through eminent domain, the town must reapply for a project permit. Several agencies need to review the new application before the permit can be issued.

The town is reluctant to start work before receiving the expected permit since the engineering costs are $90,000, according to Maxwell, who has spearheaded the quest for the new access to the gated community.

“It will probably be a two-to-three month process for surveying, drilling and report completion,” he said. “Then the state and Oak Island will need to approve the report. We can then select a contractor to put in 1,000 feet of road.”"

Old 12-04-2015, 01:16 PM

49 posts, read 65,220 times
Is one year realistic to get all the approvals and get the road and get put in

the are selling lots in THE GROVE section marketing that they will have the closest access to the beach through the new gate

Old 12-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcali View Post
Is one year realistic to get all the approvals and get the road and get put in

the are selling lots in THE GROVE section marketing that they will have the closest access to the beach through the new gate
I'd say 9 to 15 months is a realistic timeline.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:20 PM

89 posts, read 97,421 times
Stonecreek67 - any updates on more stores at the new Lowes center on Midway?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:07 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,235,360 times
One of the people at Coastal Shutters, now at Worms and Coffee, said they planned to move into one of the new spaces there at Lowes.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:48 AM

383 posts, read 746,551 times
That's great news. The people at Costal Shutter are great and they are a very reputable business. Glad they will be here to service our community for years to come.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:15 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,563,742 times
My brother who recently bought a home in Calabash, took a ride to look at St. James Plantation and the surrounding area being it is one of a few places the we are considering in the upcoming years for retirement. He laughed and said he wasn't impressed with the area, and said Calabash is much nicer area. He sent a picture of what looks like an abandoned gas station outside of St. James Plantation......and he did mention "Worms and Coffee".....I'm thinking "What the heck is going on ?".....what is "Worms and Coffee" ?

Old 12-27-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My brother who recently bought a home in Calabash, took a ride to look at St. James Plantation and the surrounding area being it is one of a few places the we are considering in the upcoming years for retirement. He laughed and said he wasn't impressed with the area, and said Calabash is much nicer area. He sent a picture of what looks like an abandoned gas station outside of St. James Plantation......and he did mention "Worms and Coffee".....I'm thinking "What the heck is going on ?".....what is "Worms and Coffee" ?
Its not abandoned, its a convenience store/gas station still in business. The name reflects the sense of humor of the late owner...lots of fishermen stop there for bait and coffee on their way out to fish, thus, "worms and coffee".

Hope you enjoy Calabash! Looks like they have an actual abandoned convenience store:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9188...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 12-27-2015 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-27-2015, 08:53 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times
I suppose it's possible that a person... in this case a "well meaning" brother.... could, perhaps after a half dozen beers, somehow come up with the thought that Calabash is nicer than "anywhere else".... I guess that's possible.... but I find it curious that the "brother" took time to take a photo and mention soon to be gone Worms and Coffee, which most likely will not be there in a year and NOT mention to his sister the $20 Million Lowes shopping complex with many new restaurants, 20 new stores and a new, huge Gas Station... all of which is about 100 feet behind Worms and Coffee..... BUT, apparently it's possible.

Why heckfire, we took the trek down to the lovely hamlet of Calabash a few times for actually the only reason to take that trek, we went to the Bagel Dock which has pretty good bagels, but thankfully we won't have to go down there much longer as the Bagel Dock is opening a store in the new Lowes center, whew.

Once again though, I cannot blame the well meaning brother for not taking note of the new, state of the art Novant Medical center just a few miles from that intersection and/or the new 40 thousand sq ft medical facility that Novant is getting ready to build just across Midway from the aforementioned and soon to be defunct Worms and Coffee..... or the new Dosher medical complex outside the Seaside gate.

Dang though... I can see how a well meaning brother would want to take the time for a photo of an obviously soon to be defunct 50 plus year old gas station that has obviously served it's purpose and is being "engulfed" by the new Lowes center.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 12-27-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina