U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-28-2015, 03:52 AM
 
4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Reputation: 7155

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
I suppose it's possible that a person... in this case a "well meaning" brother.... could, perhaps after a half dozen beers, somehow come up with the thought that Calabash is nicer than "anywhere else".... I guess that's possible.... but I find it curious that the "brother" took time to take a photo and mention soon to be gone Worms and Coffee, which most likely will not be there in a year and NOT mention to his sister the $20 Million Lowes shopping complex with many new restaurants, 20 new stores and a new, huge Gas Station... all of which is about 100 feet behind Worms and Coffee..... BUT, apparently it's possible.

Why heckfire, we took the trek down to the lovely hamlet of Calabash a few times for actually the only reason to take that trek, we went to the Bagel Dock which has pretty good bagels, but thankfully we won't have to go down there much longer as the Bagel Dock is opening a store in the new Lowes center, whew.

Once again though, I cannot blame the well meaning brother for not taking note of the new, state of the art Novant Medical center just a few miles from that intersection and/or the new 40 thousand sq ft medical facility that Novant is getting ready to build just across Midway from the aforementioned and soon to be defunct Worms and Coffee..... or the new Dosher medical complex outside the Seaside gate.

Dang though... I can see how a well meaning brother would want to take the time for a photo of an obviously soon to be defunct 50 plus year old gas station that has obviously served it's purpose and is being "engulfed" by the new Lowes center.
Well Stoney .... you know some people have this special vision. They see what they want to see. They rationalize situations and outcomes based on their perceptions and facts are irrelevant. Their vision has a special focal ability to see whats wrong and never what is right. The world is an ugly place to them, regardless of their surroundings. Some peoples gift of this special vision is very powerful while others only seem to possess it sporadically or perhaps under the influence of mind altering substances or other people that also have also this special vision. What ever the case, they live in their special world and as for those of us without the special vision, we can only try to imagine what it must be like for them as we stumble along in our own world of hopes and dreams, enveloped by rainbows and unicorns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2015, 06:50 AM
 
Location: SW Corner of CT
1,954 posts, read 1,566,182 times
Reputation: 2444
First off, my brother is not a drunk, he may have beer, but not more than two. I think he is trying to steer me away from St. James Plantation, or any gated type community for that fact because of all the rules and regulations, and knows that I enjoy my freedom to do what I like on my property, but I'm thinking as the years go on, I will be slowing a bit, and not be up to all the maintenance. He is a high energy, DIY type who enjoys running his machines and building whatever he needs.....I do like my home projects also, but not to his extent. So, I feel he is looking for my best interest, and maybe want us closer to him as we do get along well, and it's always nice to be near family. He was probably knocking on the "Worms and Coffee" just because the combo of the two are somewhat laughable. He has also told me that in his neighborhood, he has run into a lot of people from the NY area (where I originated), and the local VFW is 80% NY'ers....they even ran into a few classmates from years ago. We plan on going down ourselves to take a look see obviously.....we did get lucky buying our current house sight unseen, but won't run that risk again. Take it easy on him, he is looking out for us, having a laugh at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,860,337 times
Reputation: 3422
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
First off, my brother is not a drunk, he may have beer, but not more than two. I think he is trying to steer me away from St. James Plantation, or any gated type community for that fact because of all the rules and regulations, and knows that I enjoy my freedom to do what I like on my property, but I'm thinking as the years go on, I will be slowing a bit, and not be up to all the maintenance. He is a high energy, DIY type who enjoys running his machines and building whatever he needs.....I do like my home projects also, but not to his extent. So, I feel he is looking for my best interest, and maybe want us closer to him as we do get along well, and it's always nice to be near family. He was probably knocking on the "Worms and Coffee" just because the combo of the two are somewhat laughable. He has also told me that in his neighborhood, he has run into a lot of people from the NY area (where I originated), and the local VFW is 80% NY'ers....they even ran into a few classmates from years ago. We plan on going down ourselves to take a look see obviously.....we did get lucky buying our current house sight unseen, but won't run that risk again. Take it easy on him, he is looking out for us, having a laugh at the same time.
Every "Plantation" in Brunswick County is full of New Yorkers and other NE retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 09:19 AM
 
4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Reputation: 7155
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
First off, my brother is not a drunk, he may have beer, but not more than two. I think he is trying to steer me away from St. James Plantation, or any gated type community for that fact because of all the rules and regulations, and knows that I enjoy my freedom to do what I like on my property, but I'm thinking as the years go on, I will be slowing a bit, and not be up to all the maintenance. He is a high energy, DIY type who enjoys running his machines and building whatever he needs.....I do like my home projects also, but not to his extent. So, I feel he is looking for my best interest, and maybe want us closer to him as we do get along well, and it's always nice to be near family. He was probably knocking on the "Worms and Coffee" just because the combo of the two are somewhat laughable. He has also told me that in his neighborhood, he has run into a lot of people from the NY area (where I originated), and the local VFW is 80% NY'ers....they even ran into a few classmates from years ago. We plan on going down ourselves to take a look see obviously.....we did get lucky buying our current house sight unseen, but won't run that risk again. Take it easy on him, he is looking out for us, having a laugh at the same time.
Please don't take offense. This is the St James forum and my budding experience in the community is that most every one that lives here really, really enjoys our community. The list of reasons goes on and on. We are generally somewhat biased no doubt because we chose to live here. When one person insinuates the community is below par due to one building that is not even part of the town of St James, much less the plantation, when there are obviously so many other positive aspects, we might just counter what we consider extreme opinions with the same.

Gated community living is not for everyone. Some people really enjoy being able to keep all their "collectibles" in their yard for instance or maybe keeping chickens etc. That is great and I am sure there are plenty of nice places in the country where that can be done. If you are the free spirit that needs that freedom then go for it. Just don't run our place down because we choose to live in our neat, landscaped cubby holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 12:47 PM
 
Location: SW Corner of CT
1,954 posts, read 1,566,182 times
Reputation: 2444
I have owned in a couple of areas with HOA's that were a little crazy. My new truck had an oil leak I did not notice, and there was a small puddle on my driveway, I was told I had 1 week to fix it, or get fined.....long story short, if not fixed, will get towed off the property.....outside laying out Mulch, asked the Wife to bring me a beer....was told by a Board of Directors member to "Take that beer to the rear deck, nobody wants to see you drinking !".....I was not drunk, was my first, and likely last beer....was told I could not change my front door, the original was a full glass door, no privacy. I have heard that some Plantations do not allow pick up trucks, and if you have one, must be either off the property, or parked in the garage out of sight.....do not have an area to park an RV, and will not allow you to have a Patio with a firepit, and the RV cost more than some homes, and the truck 60k+ !. I understand the need for rules, and can appreciate them, being they keep the place nice, but some are too down right strict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:36 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,646,908 times
Reputation: 343
Gosh dang it Ditchie, my good friend boar belly seems to keep missing the point while she is busy being OFFended by everything and DEfended by her brother. The point is that in his very noble act of protecting his sister from the ravages of some dump like St James over the town of Kallaboosh he was quick to be unimpressed with St James because of a business, on private property 4 miles down the road from St James, that has served it's purpose for the past 50 years and now is being replaced with a $20 Million dollar shopping complex that he "somehow" missed although it's 100 feet away from the "dump" he took time to make a photo album of..... that kind of near abandoned shack are quite abundant in the lovely town of Koolabush.... we noticed them and remarked about them as we sped away from Keelybush as quickly as we could with our bagel stash securely tiled down in the back seat..... trying to get them home while they were still warm.

Now the fact that St James doesn't allow it's residents to display old sinks, used toilets and rusting farm implements in the front yard weeds along with a few old rusting hulks of pick-up trucks of yesteryear is just fine with me, it's one of the "extreme" rules they have that endeared me to St James in the first place..... in our quest to find a place to retire to we saw and steered clear of many places that had no rules, where the family trees did not split very often and marriage among close family members is common.... but... as we see from her post.... bored belly just happens to appreciate that type of yard art and lack of regulation... in addition, obviously, to her beer parties on the front lawn amongst the aforementioned yard ornaments and old refrigerators and washing machines on the front porch.... so be it... her brother is right and most likely a lovely fellow, she should stick with Callybush where they obviously allow that type of landscaping and partying... after all, it IS a free country... so far..... I wish her and her brother/husband nothing but good will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 03:52 PM
 
Location: SW Corner of CT
1,954 posts, read 1,566,182 times
Reputation: 2444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Gosh dang it Ditchie, my good friend boar belly seems to keep missing the point while she is busy being OFFended by everything and DEfended by her brother. The point is that in his very noble act of protecting his sister from the ravages of some dump like St James over the town of Kallaboosh he was quick to be unimpressed with St James because of a business, on private property 4 miles down the road from St James, that has served it's purpose for the past 50 years and now is being replaced with a $20 Million dollar shopping complex that he "somehow" missed although it's 100 feet away from the "dump" he took time to make a photo album of..... that kind of near abandoned shack are quite abundant in the lovely town of Koolabush.... we noticed them and remarked about them as we sped away from Keelybush as quickly as we could with our bagel stash securely tiled down in the back seat..... trying to get them home while they were still warm.

Now the fact that St James doesn't allow it's residents to display old sinks, used toilets and rusting farm implements in the front yard weeds along with a few old rusting hulks of pick-up trucks of yesteryear is just fine with me, it's one of the "extreme" rules they have that endeared me to St James in the first place..... in our quest to find a place to retire to we saw and steered clear of many places that had no rules, where the family trees did not split very often and marriage among close family members is common.... but... as we see from her post.... bored belly just happens to appreciate that type of yard art and lack of regulation... in addition, obviously, to her beer parties on the front lawn amongst the aforementioned yard ornaments and old refrigerators and washing machines on the front porch.... so be it... her brother is right and most likely a lovely fellow, she should stick with Callybush where they obviously allow that type of landscaping and partying... after all, it IS a free country... so far..... I wish her and her brother/husband nothing but good will.
What are you talking about ??....my sister has not been mentioned, I am not female, do not let my username "Beer Belly" give the wrong impression....I've put on a few pounds and my friends daughters gave me the nickname...I am actually 5' 11" and 185 lbs....not the fat bellied drunk the name implies. I do not care for the "Yard Ornaments", this is what is bringing me to St. James....wouldn't that be funny if someday we become nieghbors. If you're telling me I will be hassled for having a brew while I tend to my yard, or park my pick up in my driveway, while you park your 10 year old Toyota Camry in plain view, then maybe St. James is not for me, and what I've been told about the snobbish attitude is right. Sorry, I drink domestic beer, not Martinis....I'm comfortable in Jeans, not dress slacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 08:40 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,646,908 times
Reputation: 343
Weeeeeellllllll doggies, I believe everyone had the same female impression about you.... nevertheless, while I do not actually have a 10 year old Toyota and it would actually be funny if you became a neighbor as here at St James they actually do not allow you to have a beer, especially domestic, in the front yard OR park the pick-up in the driveway, these activities have banned by popular acclaim along with jeans in the clubs years ago.... I suppose it must have been all the snobbish residents getting together for the good of the community.... thank goodness. I suppose it is ... er, um... "cute" that your brother is attempting to protect "his" brother from the terrible place Known as St James.... with all the terribly restrictive rules around here and especially that dump Worms and Coffee a ways down the road... it is indeed admirable of him.... as far as his preference for Kallybush over St James, we have already been down that road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 06:45 AM
 
Location: SW Corner of CT
1,954 posts, read 1,566,182 times
Reputation: 2444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Weeeeeellllllll doggies, I believe everyone had the same female impression about you.... nevertheless, while I do not actually have a 10 year old Toyota and it would actually be funny if you became a neighbor as here at St James they actually do not allow you to have a beer, especially domestic, in the front yard OR park the pick-up in the driveway, these activities have banned by popular acclaim along with jeans in the clubs years ago.... I suppose it must have been all the snobbish residents getting together for the good of the community.... thank goodness. I suppose it is ... er, um... "cute" that your brother is attempting to protect "his" brother from the terrible place Known as St James.... with all the terribly restrictive rules around here and especially that dump Worms and Coffee a ways down the road... it is indeed admirable of him.... as far as his preference for Kallybush over St James, we have already been down that road.
If I do land in St. James, I do hope it's next door to you....heck, I may forego the new RV in retirement just to buy the home next to you as a vacation home, and I'll be wearing my favorite beer / chilli stained t-shirt to wear every time I see you outside....can't forget my cut off jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 08:03 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,646,908 times
Reputation: 343
Well, you definitely would have to get rid of the RV it's pretty high rent where we are and they're not allowed anyway..... plus the fact that you would never see your very protective brother again as I believe he has taken a vow to never drive north of Kallybush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top