U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,370,231 times
Reputation: 14566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Golf courses don't have outsiders like other subdivisions.



Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
OK, whats a better "Doublewide"
that's right. because i do live in a doublewide, behind my mama's house. she welded it together from two dodge vans and an RV we had sitting in the yard.

because in North Carolina, if you don't live in St. James, you live in a double wide trailer next door. amiright?

Last edited by le roi; 12-02-2010 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,648,792 times
Reputation: 343
A) Well now Leroy.... to give you your props.... I have to admit that I do remember reading somewhere in a car magazine, ( while waiting to get my car serviced of course )..... that Dodge DOES make the best after market van-doublewide conversion kit on the market.... however, personally I would leave the welding to a professional.

B) As far as " how about NOT a plantation ? " why would anyone want to buy/live in a gated ccommunity/plantation with security, low to non existant crime, a full service marina, private beach club with pool, restaurants, tennis, private golf, waterpark, outdoor amphitheater with shows, organized clubs with planned activities, tons of other amenities and all just ten minutes from the beach ???? ..... "versus" OUT THERE in the hinterlands ????..... I must respectfully say that if one doesn't already know the answer to that question there is no sense in trying to answer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Long Island NY
475 posts, read 492,182 times
Reputation: 266
I visited Rivers Edge. First of all the facilities can't hold a candle to St James. It had 1 golf course, 1 pool/gym area and they were deserted. I believe that it shares a Beachhouse with Ocean Ridge (same developer). The agent was reluctant to verify this. If it does share the same beachhouse then it's quite a distance from Shalotte. The development was deserted. I mean empty! There were not many houses built or residents present. In fact they had just decided not to develop the lake area. It's a very desirable area around a nice lake but undeveloped. North Carolina law prohibits sales without infrastructure in place. (Not sure of the exact law but it sounds like a good one). IMHO Lots/houses were priced the same as ST James but with more of a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 AM
 
1,091 posts, read 1,979,571 times
Reputation: 387
Well Stated my friend.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I visited Rivers Edge. First of all the facilities can't hold a candle to St James. It had 1 golf course, 1 pool/gym area and they were deserted. I believe that it shares a Beachhouse with Ocean Ridge (same developer). The agent was reluctant to verify this. If it does share the same beachhouse then it's quite a distance from Shalotte. The development was deserted. I mean empty! There were not many houses built or residents present. In fact they had just decided not to develop the lake area. It's a very desirable area around a nice lake but undeveloped. North Carolina law prohibits sales without infrastructure in place. (Not sure of the exact law but it sounds like a good one). IMHO Lots/houses were priced the same as ST James but with more of a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,648,792 times
Reputation: 343
Biscy and canals... if I may add a PS to your posts.... as I mentioned in an earlier post, FACT - there are almost 4 times as many homes built and occupied at St James Plantation than at Ocean Ridge Plantation "in the exact same time period"..... there must be a reason(s).

When there are two restaurants across the street from each other, with the same "type" of food and similar prices..... and one restaurant is booming .... and the other is doing MUCH, MUCH less business and has EMPTY tables available all the time..... THERE IS A REASON ! Usually it is better food, better service, better parking, nicer decor, etc...... BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A REASON... ALWAYS.

Again, not having been there yet, til next week, I CAN read and count. The facts are there online and cannot be denied, so one can decide for one's self upon visiting in person.

There is also a brand new plantation being built as we speak directly next door to St James called Sea Watch. It has no golf course at all, no restaurants, and an "anticipated" marina in a few years.... with about 40 houses built, and many of them are models..... with a couple more years of roads/infrastructure building....IF as they told me, sales go well. The lots are priced about the same as St James....... it's like comparing apples to grapes, IMHO, I have no interest.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 12-02-2010 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,648,792 times
Reputation: 343
As another post script... I must tell you that I am always amazed at the "hit and runners" that make definite, declarative statements that are dubious at best and completely ridiculous at worst.... and when challenged/questioned about said ridiculous statements, they pull back into their cavelike hiding places and remain deafeningly silent..... such as our famed bud Leroy stating that " the older baby boomers at St James behave in a questionable and adversarial fashion, causing problems for the people in the area " but remanins silent when asked to define his statement and let us know what the behavior and problems might be.... AND then there's the one from our friend Timetotravel who made the statement that there is a "secret" as to the willingness of people to purchase "overpriced" property in the plantations.... when asked what this "secret" might be so that we may be more edumacated buyers.... again we hear a deafening silence.

I can only "hope" that the two aforementioned statements were made with the best of intentions, to, in good faith, assist us all in our edeavor to investigate these plantations and area. However I must admit that I am at a loss as to why they won't help us to understand the wisdom of their comments.

I remain completely amazed !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
572 posts, read 1,415,070 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
T2T
You have perked my interest on your comment or hint that you felt St James was "overpriced". When you consider all that this community has to offer besides the "Brick and Mortar" (that means house Leroy) including 4 Golf Courses with 4 Clubhouses and restaurants, Marina, Beach Pavilion with Pool, Marketplace including Tommy Thompsons, the bar, I'm not sure one can call St James overpriced. Golf courses don't have outsiders like other subdivisions.

Fill us in. What Plantation would you say has better value at a reduced price?
Keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion and not meant to be a bad reflection on St James because like I said it is indeed a very nice subdivision but,

I would never live there for the following reasons. First, it's located outside Southport and there's nothing in Southport. It's a town with less than 5,000 full time residents and it has almost no modern shopping, restaurants or movie theaters. Second, the closest beach is Oak Island which is the most redneck beach on the east coast of NC with probably the worst ocean water of any beach in the state. The Cape Fear River (which I think is NC's largest) dumps all of it's black brackish river water into the Altantic Ocean where? Southport/Oak island. It's just personal opinion but I'll take clear blue ocean water over brown brackish ocean water any day of the week. Third, there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of other options for golf (that don't require the huge membership fee of St James) and there are marinas all up and down the Intracoastal waterway.

And as far as the real estate prices, well you can buy just as much house in a gated subdivision in Wilmington or Myrtle Beach and get cleaner beaches and a quick commute to almost any modern convenience you might desire. There's a reason locals don't live in St James and it's not because they can't afford it (the most pricey real estate is on the barrier islands heavily populated by locals) but rather because there are better options that provide more bang for the buck. That's why I commented earlier about how the developers intentionally market St James to people who live outside the area because the locals won't pay those prices. And for the record, Ocean Ridge is the exact same way.

Again, it's just my personal opinion and not meant to be a knock on St James but there are so many other options that are better for less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Long Island NY
475 posts, read 492,182 times
Reputation: 266
Some of your reasons for disliking St James is exactly the reason that I like St James. My community is 2.14 square miles and has 35,000 inhabitants. I look forward to less congestion and fighting for parking spaces and the rat race in general. Wilmington is close enough to satisfy my needs for city things. I believe that Wilmington is 45 to 60 min away. That's my daily commute to work (22.5 miles). I leave my house before 7am to miss rush hour traffic. I leave work at 4:40 for the same reason. Oak Island seemed nice and it might not be the finest beach in the area. I look forward to exploring the surrounding areas for special places. As for Myrtle Beach, My friends bought there last year and it's too much like my community now (except it's more ****** tonk). Beach access in Myrtle Beach is also much more limited. For me St James amenities and activities are what sold me. The neighborhood competitions are also a uniting factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
794 posts, read 1,648,792 times
Reputation: 343
canalslb..... I could not have said it better myself.... still very looking forward to our reconnaissance mission next week.... especially driving through that covered bridge into Woodlands Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 1,979,571 times
Reputation: 387
Cool Follow-up question

I appreciate your honesty and if its not for you than its not for you. No issue with that all my friend. Now with Ocean Ridge Plantation, my second choice for my retirement home, they use the Beach at Sunset Beach and I think Sunset Beach is a beautiful beach. I cannot comment on the points made about the beach at Oak Island.

So if you were to give a few of us "Northerners" your top 5 list of Subdivisions, Developments, Plantations, Doublewide neighborhoods (only kidding) to look at, what would you suggest?
I always welcome other opinions. (People at work wouldn't agree with that comment though"

Thanks buddy,

Jim



Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion and not meant to be a bad reflection on St James because like I said it is indeed a very nice subdivision but,

I would never live there for the following reasons. First, it's located outside Southport and there's nothing in Southport. It's a town with less than 5,000 full time residents and it has almost no modern shopping, restaurants or movie theaters. Second, the closest beach is Oak Island which is the most redneck beach on the east coast of NC with probably the worst ocean water of any beach in the state. The Cape Fear River (which I think is NC's largest) dumps all of it's black brackish river water into the Altantic Ocean where? Southport/Oak island. It's just personal opinion but I'll take clear blue ocean water over brown brackish ocean water any day of the week. Third, there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of other options for golf (that don't require the huge membership fee of St James) and there are marinas all up and down the Intracoastal waterway.

And as far as the real estate prices, well you can buy just as much house in a gated subdivision in Wilmington or Myrtle Beach and get cleaner beaches and a quick commute to almost any modern convenience you might desire. There's a reason locals don't live in St James and it's not because they can't afford it (the most pricey real estate is on the barrier islands heavily populated by locals) but rather because there are better options that provide more bang for the buck. That's why I commented earlier about how the developers intentionally market St James to people who live outside the area because the locals won't pay those prices. And for the record, Ocean Ridge is the exact same way.

Again, it's just my personal opinion and not meant to be a knock on St James but there are so many other options that are better for less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top