Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well, you definitely would have to get rid of the RV it's pretty high rent where we are and they're not allowed anyway..... plus the fact that you would never see your very protective brother again as I believe he has taken a vow to never drive north of Kallybush.
He still drives North, as he has a home in Westchester County NY, and even further South, a home in Florida. As far as the RV, I'm sure he'd let me park it next to his in the garage he is planning to build on one of his many lots he purchased when he bought the new home in Calabash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 18,776 times
I see in a web search that the North Carolina Port Authority is selling the 42-acre marina in Southport to Southport Marina. Curious if locals see this as good news, or news at all (just a meh)?

I saw info about the sale while researching information on the proposed international mega-port just north of Southport a few years ago.

Was that effort effectively killed off?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:41 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design52 View Post
I see in a web search that the North Carolina Port Authority is selling the 42-acre marina in Southport to Southport Marina. Curious if locals see this as good news, or news at all (just a meh)?
For the most part its no news, really. The buyer is the current lessee/operator, who has done a great job with it. I'm sure they will continue to do so. 2 positives: The property will go back on the tax rolls, so the city and county will get a little bump in property tax revenue; and the purchaser will gift a boardwalk/pier to the city that is part of the marina property that the state had been leasing to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design52 View Post
I saw info about the sale while researching information on the proposed international mega-port just north of Southport a few years ago. Was that effort effectively killed off?
Apparently so, at least for the time being. However, the state still owns the site, and has done nothing with it, nor announced any plans for it. And the state is studying the removal of "The Rocks", a jetty just north of Bald Head Island, which, if removed, may allow a long closed inlet to reopen. Many think this is part of a plan to revive the port project.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 12-29-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 03:47 PM

59 posts, read 137,342 times
We think we've settled in a builder and planning to go under contract in the Spring of 2016. The builder suggested we get a soil and tree survey done. Has anyone done this before? Who does that? Do we pay for the removal of the trees or is that included as part of site work? They also recommended we contact Plantation Services about preparing our lot. Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 12-31-2015, 04:01 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
We think we've settled in a builder and planning to go under contract in the Spring of 2016. The builder suggested we get a soil and tree survey done. Has anyone done this before? Who does that? Do we pay for the removal of the trees or is that included as part of site work? They also recommended we contact Plantation Services about preparing our lot. Any advice would be appreciated!
You should have had a survey of your lot before you bought it so you know it boundaries. Surveys can vary but it is not unusual for them to include elevations, locations of utilities, and major trees.

Elevations are important because they will come into play with flood insurance.

Lot dimensions are important so setbacks can be determined, so the home can be precisely placed on the lot and in some cases they even determine which direction the front of the house faces on corner lots.

Depending on your bank and financing, they will require certain surveys to confirm the lot and house are constructed as per plans.

The house placement on the lot has to be approved by the SJP HOA. A survey has to be submitted to the HOA to show hose placement on the lot. Once the foundation is placed, another survey has to be submitted to the HOA to show the house is actually where it is supposed to be. At the end of construction the house is surveyed again to make sure you have not added on structures that would compromise setbacks or other requirements.

Part of the surveys include culvert placement elevation under your driveway to facilitate drainage.

There is a long check list of what the bank and the HOA expects from the builder during construction. The builder should be aware of this list and follow it. Paper work has to be submitted to the HOA at certain points during the construction process. If the the builder fails to comply with the check list, they get fined (often $100) for non-compliance if it is minor. Construction can be halted if it is major.

You should be clear with your builder on who pays for what. Generally, clearing of the lot and tree removal is part of the cost home building. It should be included in your construction quote. The initial detail survey of the lot that identifies utilities, setbacks, lot dimensions etc may or may not be included in your quote, You need to clarify with the builder. They can not build your home with out knowing this basic information.

Generally the HOA does not want you to remove any tree more than 6" in diameter unless necessary to build the house, driveway etc.

I am not sure plantation services has to get involved. The surveyors or builder may consult them if there are issues concerning drainage, utilities, run off, protection of neighboring homes, parking for workers and so on.

There are a lot of resources on the POA web site when it comes to rules and processes for construction. The builder should be very familiar with them. They are pretty well spelled out and deviation can cost time and money. All the rules seem a bit overwhelming but they help insure a quality environment, neighborhood and protection for neighbors and minimal disruption as construction progresses. The rules spell out things like bins for construction waste and even toilets for workers and their screening.

All this adds cost to construction and again, the builder should be aware and the majority of costs should be included in your quote. One of your most important questions for the builder should be "Is this the turn key price and if not, what additional costs will I be expected to pay?" Get the answer in writing. The same thing could be said about your bank if you are dealing with one.

Last edited by ditchoc; 12-31-2015 at 04:10 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
You should have had a survey of your lot before you bought it so you know it boundaries. Surveys can vary but it is not unusual for them to include elevations, locations of utilities, and major trees.

Elevations are important because they will come into play with flood insurance.

Lot dimensions are important so setbacks can be determined, so the home can be precisely placed on the lot and in some cases they even determine which direction the front of the house faces on corner lots.

Depending on your bank and financing, they will require certain surveys to confirm the lot and house are constructed as per plans.

The house placement on the lot has to be approved by the SJP HOA. A survey has to be submitted to the HOA to show hose placement on the lot. Once the foundation is placed, another survey has to be submitted to the HOA to show the house is actually where it is supposed to be. At the end of construction the house is surveyed again to make sure you have not added on structures that would compromise setbacks or other requirements.

Part of the surveys include culvert placement elevation under your driveway to facilitate drainage.

There is a long check list of what the bank and the HOA expects from the builder during construction. The builder should be aware of this list and follow it. Paper work has to be submitted to the HOA at certain points during the construction process. If the the builder fails to comply with the check list, they get fined (often $100) for non-compliance if it is minor. Construction can be halted if it is major.

You should be clear with your builder on who pays for what. Generally, clearing of the lot and tree removal is part of the cost home building. It should be included in your construction quote. The initial detail survey of the lot that identifies utilities, setbacks, lot dimensions etc may or may not be included in your quote, You need to clarify with the builder. They can not build your home with out knowing this basic information.

Generally the HOA does not want you to remove any tree more than 6" in diameter unless necessary to build the house, driveway etc.

I am not sure plantation services has to get involved. The surveyors or builder may consult them if there are issues concerning drainage, utilities, run off, protection of neighboring homes, parking for workers and so on.

There are a lot of resources on the POA web site when it comes to rules and processes for construction. The builder should be very familiar with them. They are pretty well spelled out and deviation can cost time and money. All the rules seem a bit overwhelming but they help insure a quality environment, neighborhood and protection for neighbors and minimal disruption as construction progresses. The rules spell out things like bins for construction waste and even toilets for workers and their screening.

All this adds cost to construction and again, the builder should be aware and the majority of costs should be included in your quote. One of your most important questions for the builder should be "Is this the turn key price and if not, what additional costs will I be expected to pay?" Get the answer in writing. The same thing could be said about your bank if you are dealing with one.
Great info

Old 12-31-2015, 04:55 AM

93 posts, read 207,727 times
@abby310w

If it's a pine tree, give serious consideration to removing it, regardless of size (anywhere on the lot IMO). They are wind-driven missiles, prone to disease/insects, unsightly, and a PITA for needles/cones.

Gatorbyter

Old 12-31-2015, 08:05 AM

Oh .... I assume there are others in the area but the following company did my surveying of the lot, elevations and at various stages throughout when needed and I have no complaints.

McHenry Surveying
P.O. Box 433 - 8509 E. Oak Island Dr.
Oak Island NC. 28465
Tel 910-278-9874
Fax 910-278-3799

Old 01-03-2016, 11:02 AM

I was just going over the various presentations from the annual POA meeting and noted the developer stated the new Wellness Center in Seaside is scheduled for completion in Q2 of this year. That is good news. For some reason I was thinking it would not be done until late Q3 or even Q4. I look forward to using the new gym.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:54 AM

Thoughts ???....saw this in another thread
Golf Courses Battle with IRS Over Tax Deductions for Conservation | Golf.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina