U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,318 times

Advertisements

Hey Missanna, I truly get what you are saying. I am an NYC girl. I was born in Hells Kitchen, in the 1950's, in a walk up railroad tenement that rented for about $20 a month. During my lifetime, I watched the entire borough of Manhattan become a city for the rich. That $20-a-month apartment I was born in rents for over $3,000 now. And you can't even swing a cat in it. I raised my family in CT. We are hoping to retire somewhere in coastal NC. (I love everything I have read about Swansboro). My husband is only 55, so it won't be for another ten years. My great fear is that, by then, we won't be able to afford it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:19 AM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
The Golf Course issue is going to be a problem. I am not a tax lawyer, but I would think any liability (unless the clubs had reserved monies for the potential liability if they lost the lawsuit) would fall on the current owner of the clubs, which is the developer. That could trigger a domino effect in terms of restructuring the rates for the clubs (which are already on the high side). Rates may have to be increased to cover 1) previous tax liability (resulting from losing law suit) and 2) future increase to cover since anticipated tax credits will not be received. If rates go up, that will make the courses less attractive. It will also impact the valuation of the clubs when the developer moves out of SJP in a few years and tries to sell them. The real people to be impacted are the club members. The non members will only have to deal with potential decreased in property values (as the cost to be a club member may be excessive and detract people from moving to SJP) and not in the cost of maintaining the clubs. POA fees should not be impacted as they do not have any ownership in the clubs and thus no financial liability to cover.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:56 AM

32 posts, read 51,124 times
So, if looking to purchase a "Lot" in SJP at this time I would think it best to not get tied into any memberships if not planning to build for a few years??

Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 PM

I have a home in SJP but have not joined the clubs. It is optional, but I am definitely in the minority. I am going to wait and see how the clubs transition from the developer to the new owner, whoever that turns out to be.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:50 PM

I have a home in SJP but have not joined the clubs. It is optional, but I am definitely in the minority. I am going to wait and see how the clubs transition from the developer to the new owner, whoever that turns out to be.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:06 PM

4,984 posts, read 2,233,487 times
SJP has a church on property. I say just turn over the golf courses to the church and make them tax free.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:25 PM

Lol. If it were that easy, I would convert my house in NJ to a church.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:05 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,375,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Lol. If it were that easy, I would convert my house in NJ to a church.
Pony, it's working in Lakewood, NJ!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:49 AM

20 posts, read 37,742 times
It looks like the 5 acre lot next to the beach club is on the market for $2.5 million. The lot is between 72nd and 73rd St. Any thoughts on weather SJP should look into buying this? The lot has 250 of ocean front and would be perfect for expansion as SJP grows. In addition, since the lot can be subdivided, it give SJP control over the property.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 AM

4,984 posts, read 2,233,487 times
The STP Fire Department and EMS call volume continues to increase. They have been talking for some time with the town and the developer about building a second station or annex. This is progressing as the developer is considering donating acreage in the largely undeveloped north west corner of SJP.

There is currently a dirt road (Oceanic Drive) that extends from Seaside to a proposed traffic circle that in turn continues to connect with Wyndmere Dr. The circle will also connect to 211 in-between the main gate and E.F. Middleton. The developer aparantly has plans to to complete these roads, circle and gate entrance this year. Perhaps as soon as June/July. This entrance in addition to the ST James extension will provide 5 entrances into and out of SJP.

If all goes as planned, the Fire Department has funds for engineering and planning costs and a new station with fire trucks and ambulance may very well be ready to service SJP in the next 2-3 years. The station would be located on the completed Oceanic Drive adjacent to a pumping station already in place. Utilities are also in-place along the Oceanic Drive corridor.

The size of the acreage is estimated at 10 acres of which a portion is wet lands. The proposed fire department annex would use about 2.5 acres along the road and the adjoining wetlands and additional high ground may be transferred to the POA for use as a park.

Note that all this information is preliminary and subject to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina