U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM

49 posts, read 65,273 times

Advertisements

I recently closed on a lot in SJP and plan to start looking at building process. Timing can be more the 2 years out. Beginning the process and hoping to leverage the expertise and experience of others.

I didnt see an easy or updated Thread so thought i send out a new one.

Will start talking to some of the outstanding semi-custom builders in the recommended Builders Guild this summer. The product looks very good but the limitation on using their plan's with only slight modifications might be a real challenge in meeting our goals. Also, not clear to me that when you make multiple changes to an existing design do you push cost to same range as custom home..

Although i love to try to keep to a 150sq foot budget and target approximately 3000 sq feet, i believe we can be financially flexible for the right builder that has good expertise in the community/area as well as strong design support.

I dont know if this is realistic and hoping to get more feedback , Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 AM

383 posts, read 746,869 times
Ditchoc in my view is on the money. I faced the same situation when we built 2 years ago and went with the raised slab. Moisture and all the problems it presents pushed me away from a crawlspace. If you go that route, which is personal preference, I concur with Ditchoc's recommendations.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM

383 posts, read 746,869 times
Hi NJcali,

Radiant heating is an option. I built a two story, in which case the upstairs is always warm because heat rises. I also find that the fireplace downstairs, if utilized on cold days, heats almost the entire downstairs, absent my master bedroom. The only drawback is the fact that the radiant heating lines are embedded in the concrete. Not a concern of mine but others may not like that do to concerns about leakage, etc.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 AM

20 posts, read 37,782 times
I think we solved the slab/crawl space issue. We are looking at having a 3 story home with the garage and work area on the first floor, master bedroom/kitchen/living area on the next floor and spare bedrooms/storage on the third. We will include an elevator. We are also looking at putting solar panels on the roof so the 3 story approach will mitigate the solar panel view for neighbors. We are 2-3 years away from building so everything I say now can be vetoed by Mrs Chevy.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 AM

261 posts, read 267,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcali View Post
I recently closed on a lot in SJP and plan to start looking at building process. Timing can be more the 2 years out. Beginning the process and hoping to leverage the expertise and experience of others.

I didnt see an easy or updated Thread so thought i send out a new one.

Will start talking to some of the outstanding semi-custom builders in the recommended Builders Guild this summer. The product looks very good but the limitation on using their plan's with only slight modifications might be a real challenge in meeting our goals. Also, not clear to me that when you make multiple changes to an existing design do you push cost to same range as custom home..

Although i love to try to keep to a 150sq foot budget and target approximately 3000 sq feet, i believe we can be financially flexible for the right builder that has good expertise in the community/area as well as strong design support.

I dont know if this is realistic and hoping to get more feedback , Thank you
Several in this thread, and a thread that linked in it.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM

261 posts, read 267,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Several in this thread, and a thread that linked in it.
Oops, forgot the link:

Looking for Brunswick county builder

Old 02-08-2016, 08:08 PM

81 posts, read 158,555 times
Another thread on builders

Good builders in Brunswick County???

Still interested in this topic. We also have an amazing lot in SJP. Our less than positive experience with a builder has me looking at re-sales. Husband still wants to build.

Note to anyone: check out the builders design center before signing anything. Selections have been underwhelming at best.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:56 AM

18 posts, read 37,779 times
Default Bad build experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanevada View Post
Another thread on builders

Good builders in Brunswick County???

Still interested in this topic. We also have an amazing lot in SJP. Our less than positive experience with a builder has me looking at re-sales. Husband still wants to build.

Note to anyone: check out the builders design center before signing anything. Selections have been underwhelming at best.
I had a miserable build experience. There was a clause in the contract that we could not sue and had to take any issues to an arbitrator. Read this as a big red flag in any contract.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 AM

18 posts, read 37,779 times
Default Solar in St James

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy314 View Post
I think we solved the slab/crawl space issue. We are looking at having a 3 story home with the garage and work area on the first floor, master bedroom/kitchen/living area on the next floor and spare bedrooms/storage on the third. We will include an elevator. We are also looking at putting solar panels on the roof so the 3 story approach will mitigate the solar panel view for neighbors. We are 2-3 years away from building so everything I say now can be vetoed by Mrs Chevy.
Do not count on solar panels in St James. We wanted them and the architecture committee would not allow them. The south facing side of the house faced the street, so we could not have them. Drive around and notice how few houses have solar panels. We were also interested in solar shingles but they did not meet the wind speed testing required for a coastal region.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:47 AM

49 posts, read 65,273 times
Wouldn't this be the developers issue? not the club members. Its not the club that took the deduction but rather the developer. Wish him/them well but i wouldnt think the final outcome is a liability for the SJP club or property owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina