U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 09:59 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times

Advertisements

I wondered specifically about connecting Woodlands to the new St James Drive extension and if/where it might be. This showed up in the recent POA open meeting Q&A.

Q - Is Woodlands going to be connected to the new St James Drive road?

A - There will be an emergency exit extending from White Spruce Glen to the extension of St James Drive. This will be used for automobiles only if the Woodlands Bridge is disabled. It will also provide a walking and biking trail for property owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 AM

844 posts, read 2,686,882 times
Do any of you guys have tubes in the walls for prevention of termite infestation?

I was just reading some of the articles on Epstein Builders, and they use them; I had read they are popular in Florida, but didn't realize they are used in NC.

**EDIT**: My concern with the in wall treatment system would be the chemicals permeating into the home through any cracks, joints, etc., and electrical receptacles, additionally, the chemicals will leach into the sheetrock over time.

M

Last edited by marc515; 04-04-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,375,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Do any of you guys have tubes in the walls for prevention of termite infestation?

I was just reading some of the articles on Epstein Builders, and they use them; I had read they are popular in Florida, but didn't realize they are used in NC.

M
marc, Our builder uses this system- https://pestdefense.com/taexx/

I like it because you don't have to be there for your pest service, there is no harm to people or pets.
It controls the bugs before you even see them!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 AM

398 posts, read 373,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
marc, Our builder uses this system- https://pestdefense.com/taexx/

I like it because you don't have to be there for your pest service, there is no harm to people or pets.
It controls the bugs before you even see them!
Taexx doesn't control termites.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:04 AM

I have never put any tubes in the walls. I have always contracted with an exterminator on an annual basis to come out, inspect and treat as needed. The cost is reasonable, especially considering the investment you have in your home. I would look for an exterminator that has a termite guarantee and insurance to back it up. In addition, there are a lot of bugs in the south. Hardly a year goes by that I don't see one that I've never seen before and I have lived in the mid Atlantic (NC and VA) all my life. Regular treatment inside and outside keeps the pests to a minimum.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:40 PM

150 posts, read 238,403 times
Some info on the widening of NC-211

http://stateportpilot.com/topstory/a...27e72b627.html

Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 PM

398 posts, read 373,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
This overpass would take the site planned for the new shopping center where Lowe's Foods and CVS are scheduled to move to.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
This overpass would take the site planned for the new shopping center where Lowe's Foods and CVS are scheduled to move to.
I'm OK with that. This overpass would help with congestion at that intersection. Lowes and CVS would add to it. There is ample land along 211 for any number of businesses without adding congestion at Longbeach.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 AM

111 posts, read 208,537 times
I don't see the need for enlarging 211 and Midway for a cost of 10 million when the real problem is getting in and out of Southport AND getting in and out of Brunswick County in a storm. There has never been any congestion at 211/Midway and even with the new stores I can't see it ever being an issue.

Rip apart the new intersection at 211 and Long Beach Rd (does anyone see an improvement?) and put that money into making 211 totally four elevated lanes from Midway to Southport, not just to 87. When that's done, elevate 211 to Rte 17.

Does anyone really think that 211 is a valid hurricane evacuation route out of the area?

Ron W.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 AM

150 posts, read 238,403 times
I "think" that the intersection improvements at 211 and Midway/Middleton may be part of the state's plan for upgrading the Midway Rd/Galloway Road corridor to a more robust hurricane evacuation route. Sort of like how when the state built the new bridge over the ICW, they built it with 4 lanes, while the old bridge has only two lanes. And how 133 have only 2 lanes plus a turning lane, while Middleton has 4 lanes plus turning lanes. It's good to see the state build towards the future when eventually there will be lots of development in the area.

Totally agree about 211/Long Beach Road intersection. From the graphic that was in the State Port Pilot, I do not see how someone traveling in the direction from Southport towards the west could make a turn on to the new 133 north or someone on 133 north could go towards St James on 211.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I don't see the need for enlarging 211 and Midway for a cost of 10 million when the real problem is getting in and out of Southport AND getting in and out of Brunswick County in a storm. There has never been any congestion at 211/Midway and even with the new stores I can't see it ever being an issue.

Rip apart the new intersection at 211 and Long Beach Rd (does anyone see an improvement?) and put that money into making 211 totally four elevated lanes from Midway to Southport, not just to 87. When that's done, elevate 211 to Rte 17.

Does anyone really think that 211 is a valid hurricane evacuation route out of the area?

Ron W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina