U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,978,618 times

Advertisements

PS- Glad to see this chat forum still up, for some reason it "Vamoosed" earlier today. Just because we "Razzle dazzle" one another theres no maliciousness in our comments.

Its a "Jersey Thing"

Go Rutgers!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 PM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
biscy, just saw Lewis Black at the Count Basie last nite.... we waved as we went past your house.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM

572 posts, read 1,414,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
I appreciate your honesty and if its not for you than its not for you. No issue with that all my friend. Now with Ocean Ridge Plantation, my second choice for my retirement home, they use the Beach at Sunset Beach and I think Sunset Beach is a beautiful beach. I cannot comment on the points made about the beach at Oak Island.

So if you were to give a few of us "Northerners" your top 5 list of Subdivisions, Developments, Plantations, Doublewide neighborhoods (only kidding) to look at, what would you suggest?
I always welcome other opinions. (People at work wouldn't agree with that comment though"

Thanks buddy,

Jim
Well I'm not a fan of the "all inclusive" gated subdivisions but if you want that in a prime location (close to all the modern conveniences and walking distance to a beach with no doublewides) then Landfall is probably your #1 choice. I'd also suggest checking out Porters Neck Plantation and Magnolia Greens. Landfall is not my cup of tea but it is hands down the most prestigious gated golf course community within 100 miles. I could name another dozen or so that I'd probably opt for over St James but they don't have golf courses inside the subdivisions.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Interesting, Very interesting Mr Watson, as the saying goes.

I have visited Landfall and agree it is a very nice area and Country Club was very nice. But!!!! And I do say But!!!!!!!!

A little birdie told me that Landfall is not in Brunswick County, and the county that Landfall is in the Real Estate taxes will make me feel like I am back in New Jersey doing the "Garden State Boggie" all over again paying high taxes. (Song they used to play by a group called "HOLME" at a bar in Belmar called D'Jais in the 70's).

One of the benefits of Brunswick County and South is low taxes.

I do appreciate the feedback, those other areas you mentioned i have received brochures on as well.

Thanks for the scoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Well I'm not a fan of the "all inclusive" gated subdivisions but if you want that in a prime location (close to all the modern conveniences and walking distance to a beach with no doublewides) then Landfall is probably your #1 choice. I'd also suggest checking out Porters Neck Plantation and Magnolia Greens. Landfall is not my cup of tea but it is hands down the most prestigious gated golf course community within 100 miles. I could name another dozen or so that I'd probably opt for over St James but they don't have golf courses inside the subdivisions.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Right again biscy.... just as an FYI, Landfall is not in Brunswick County and the property taxes there are just a tad under "double" those at St James, Ocean Ridge, etc. In addition, everything else is more at Landfall, the POA fees are approx 50% higher, the initial fee of $15K at St James and Ocean Ridge is bumped up to $35K at Landfall. Also they have only one clubhouse with restaurants.... and any marinas are "outside" the plantation and have another fee to use them.... also Landfall does not have a beach club/pavillion... instead there are three "private" beach clubs on Wrightsville beach that you may belong to for another $5K initiation fee plus more monthly dues.... that seems to be quite a bit more money to me for less stuff. However, I understand, as everyone says, that it IS a very upscale place.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:50 PM

572 posts, read 1,414,696 times
Quote:
Interesting, Very interesting Mr Watson, as the saying goes.

I have visited Landfall and agree it is a very nice area and Country Club was very nice. But!!!! And I do say But!!!!!!!!

A little birdie told me that Landfall is not in Brunswick County, and the county that Landfall is in the Real Estate taxes will make me feel like I am back in New Jersey doing the "Garden State Boggie" all over again paying high taxes. (Song they used to play by a group called "HOLME" at a bar in Belmar called D'Jais in the 70's).

I do appreciate the feedback, those other areas you mentioned i have received brochures on as well.

Thanks for the scoop!
I don't know anything about the tax rates except my own. My condo is valued at $155,000 and my property taxes are $1,300 per year. I'm in New Hanover county.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,362,462 times
Quote:

well.. the issue isn't county rates. the county tax rates are similar, .465 in New Hanover vs .305 in Brunswick.

the big difference is city of Wilmington taxes that you pay in landfall, which are an additional .37. That is much higher than St. James's .05.

when you add it up, the tax rate is more than double to live in landfall. whether you get what you pay for is a matter of opinion and preference.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Thought I would share this from a prior post on this web site:

The primary difference between St James and Landfall is location. Both are golf course communities located on the Intracoastal Waterway and are similar in size but Landfall is inside the city limits, is walking distance to the ocean and is in close proximity to shopping, dining and entertainment. St James has a more rural location and requires a 30+ minute drive to get to conveniences like a shopping mall, auto dealership, or modern movie theatre. The downside to Landfall is the property prices. The average home price in St James is just over $400,000 but Landfall has an average home price exceeding $600,000. Similarly, a waterway home in St James can be purchased for around $800,000 to $1,000,000 with a similar home in Landfall bringing $2,500,000 to $4,000,000.

As for tax rates, Landfall and St James are almost identical. New Hanover County (0.42) has a significantly less tax rate than Brunswick County (0.5925) but the City of Wilmington (0.30) has a higher tax rate than the town of St James (0.10). Effectively Landfall residents pay a 0.72 tax rate and St James pays 0.6925. That's a difference of about $150 a year on a $500,000 home and probably wouldn't be a financial factor for someone considering a home purchase in that price range.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Dear biscman.... here's another question to ponder about Landfall.... since many of the residents of Landfall are also older baby boomers from the NYC area..... do you think they exhibit the same questionable, adversarial and egredious examples of behavior, causing problems to everyone outside the plantation..... as they reportedly do at St James ?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,362,462 times
Quote:
As for tax rates, Landfall and St James are almost identical. New Hanover County (0.42) has a significantly less tax rate than Brunswick County (0.5925) but the City of Wilmington (0.30) has a higher tax rate than the town of St James (0.10). Effectively Landfall residents pay a 0.72 tax rate and St James pays 0.6925. That's a difference of about $150 a year on a $500,000 home and probably wouldn't be a financial factor for someone considering a home purchase in that price range.
i believe those are old rates... maybe even prior to 2004.

Landfall is probably suitable for a higher income bracket, to be honest. More expensive houses, higher taxes, and I have heard that their HOA fees are astronomical. (I don't know). Plus one major benefit of that location is the shopping and dining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Dear biscman.... here's another question to ponder about Landfall.... since many of the residents of Landfall are also older baby boomers from the NYC area..... do you think they exhibit the same questionable, adversarial and egredious examples of behavior, causing problems to everyone outside the plantation..... as they reportedly do at St James ?
Earlier, when I made a comment about these bizarro transplant communities creating issues with their neighbors, it wasn't just St. James I had in mind, it was also Landfall, and Daniel Island, and Hilton Head. All of those communities have similar issues with locals in their respective areas.

Last edited by le roi; 12-03-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina