U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM

794 posts, read 1,646,166 times

Advertisements

As I drove around this morning no damage to speak of at all, the flooding at the Polly Gully bridge has already subsided, a few trees down here and there, a lot of pine needles and "small" branches littering the streets but we never lost power or cable at all (at least in the Reserve), the waterfront in Southport had some significant damage from flooding as expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:47 AM

11,321 posts, read 19,948,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
the waterfront in Southport had some significant damage from flooding as expected.
We had heard the Oak Island Pier had collapsed.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:52 AM

A section of one of the Piers on Oak Island did collapse..... from her post I assumed she was referring to St James as that is where her lot is.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 AM

49 posts, read 65,257 times
correct, This is a St James thread.

Speaking of Oak Island any reported damage to the St James Beach club.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 PM

59 posts, read 116,448 times
There were pictures of the Beach Club on the St James Plantation People FB page. It looked like just flooding around the parking lot.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:27 PM

383 posts, read 746,685 times
I have a question about the clubs. The Reserve has always been open for members only, but the other clubs were available for property owners to dine. I know there was talk on making all the clubs members only. Has that taken place yet and if so is Tommy's the only place on the plantation for non members to dine?

Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM

76 posts, read 91,678 times
Arriving Friday for preview weekend and Parade of Homes. Suggestions on where we should eat Friday and Saturday evening? Suggestions on what we should see and do outside our home search?
We are starting in Ocean Isle Friday morning and will work our way to Wilmington on Sunday.

It's a big weekend for my wife and I as we make final decisions on where we hang our hat during retirement. We started the process of finding our retirement destination earlier this year and expect to make our decision in 2017.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:39 AM

Regarding the clubs and restaurants.... it was only a rumor, nothing has changed.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:44 AM

4,986 posts, read 2,236,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel79 View Post
Arriving Friday for preview weekend and Parade of Homes. Suggestions on where we should eat Friday and Saturday evening? Suggestions on what we should see and do outside our home search?
We are starting in Ocean Isle Friday morning and will work our way to Wilmington on Sunday.

It's a big weekend for my wife and I as we make final decisions on where we hang our hat during retirement. We started the process of finding our retirement destination earlier this year and expect to make our decision in 2017.
That's a lot of ground to cover in a weekend. You will not have a lot of time to sight see.

Assuming to are staying SJP, I'd have breakfast outside at Tommy Thompson's one morning, assuming the weather is nice.

There is a small restaurant in Southport that has an Asian/American mix called Loco Joe's that is excellent. It only sits about 30 people so go early for dinner.

Since you are going to Wilmington, you should consider the ferry from Southport over to Fort Fisher and go into Wilmington that way.

You can spend the better part of a day just exploring SJP and still not see it all.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 AM

76 posts, read 91,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
That's a lot of ground to cover in a weekend. You will not have a lot of time to sight see.

Assuming to are staying SJP, I'd have breakfast outside at Tommy Thompson's one morning, assuming the weather is nice.

There is a small restaurant in Southport that has an Asian/American mix called Loco Joe's that is excellent. It only sits about 30 people so go early for dinner.

Since you are going to Wilmington, you should consider the ferry from Southport over to Fort Fisher and go into Wilmington that way.

You can spend the better part of a day just exploring SJP and still not see it all.

Good luck.
The plan is to spend Saturday and Sunday morning at SJP. Agree we are covering a lot of ground and will be super busy. Sightseeing is not the focus this trip more of a house and location trip. Will definitely visit Tommy Thompson's. We will have a meal voucher as part of our visit. Do you have a restaurant suggestion for dinner inside SJP?

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina