U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 10:20 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times

Advertisements

You are of course correct again .... after all, St James IS a "country club-like community" the amenities are what sets it apart from other communities in the area.... and the fees ( membership and otherwise ) are what keeps things going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:08 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
Being a member of 'The Clubs' is a choice when you decide to buy into the community of SJP. Off the top of my head there are 4 club houses with restaurants, meeting rooms, etc, 3 out door pools and one indoor, 3 fitness centers, 16 tennis courses and 81 holes of golf. From my view point, every thing is extremely well maintained and managed. I can only begin to comprehend the cost involved in keeping the operation going with something along the order of 200 employees along with all the equipment required to maintain everything.

Members pay a pretty stiff fee to join, monthly dues, and are required to spend 'x' amount at the restaurants yearly.

I think some re-sales have club membership attached but it is limited to those facilities that were available at the time the home was built and access to some of the newer amenities are not included.

Guests can still come to the clubs with a member.

Does it divide the residents? Perhaps to some degree but it is a personal choice residents have made. If they do not belong to the clubs I can only suppose membership was not worth it to them. That being the case, I don't see where they have a basis to grumble because they cannot go there to have dinner, or swim, or play golf, exercise or whatever.

I can only hope the club management is fiscally responsible and has a good grasp of the numbers it takes to maintain the status quo. This seems to be the case based on what little I have seen in that regard. Some things are bound to change over time. They always do, weather its adding WiFi hot spots to the clubs or making changes due to an ageing or growing population.

As an opinion I think as long as the developer is involved and sales and marketing are important, I assume potential buyers (week end visitors that come to visit, tour and listen to the sales pitch) will probably still get some sort of VIP pass to use the various amenities including the clubs.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:56 AM

109 posts, read 103,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I can only hope the club management is fiscally responsible and has a good grasp of the numbers it takes to maintain the status quo. This seems to be the case based on what little I have seen in that regard. Some things are bound to change over time. They always do, weather its adding WiFi hot spots to the clubs or making changes due to an ageing or growing population.
One thing I have observed in my very limited interactions with the Clubs is they seem to be pretty astute in how they manage their business. In earlier years, the Clubs offered different golf memberships that cost less but were more restrictive in terms of course access. So one could buy a membership that granted access to 3 courses for one monthly fee, or another that granted access to all 4 courses at a higher fee. Now, the more restricted and less expensive memberships are no longer available to new members, but existing members were grandfathered in, so they were not hit with the higher fees. Similarly, for 2017 they are changing the way they handle golf memberships for the so called "Super Seniors"--- prior to 2017, if you were 75 or older you got a reduced rate on your golf membership; in 2017 they are introducing a rule where you add your age and years of golf membership--once the sum of the two hits 90, you are eligible for the reduced rate. Presumably this will reduce the number of people eligible for "Super Senior" status, and generate additional revenue for the club. Again, anyone who was 75 prior to 2017 is not subject to the new rule.

My point with these examples is that the club clearly understands the need to review existing policies to ensure it is able to generate adequate revenue to run the clubs, but they also recognize the importance of not antagonizing existing members by "changing the rules in the middle of the game" so to speak. So while these two examples are pretty limited, I do think they tend to support your own perceptions about the fiscal responsibility of management.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:13 PM

79 posts, read 99,615 times
What are the 2017 Membership rates? How much to join, and monthly charges? The SJP website is less than clear on these details. Am I correct that some memberships are tied to where you buy in the community itself?

Thanks for the clarifications.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
What are the 2017 Membership rates? How much to join, and monthly charges? The SJP website is less than clear on these details. Am I correct that some memberships are tied to where you buy in the community itself?

Thanks for the clarifications.
So take these as general figures....there are three basic levels of membership....social, sport, and golf. I believe a social membership has an initiation fee (non-equity) of $10K, and a golf membership is $20K. A sport membership includes tennis, but not golf, and I am not certain what the initiation fee is. I also believe you can pay a higher initiation fee, but some portion of it is considered equity, meaning you get some of it back should you leave the club. I do not recall all of the monthly fees, but a resident golf membership for 1 member of the family coupled with a sport membership for the other is about $520 per month. You pay extra for cart fees....about $25 per round, or you can pay a cart fee for one person of $2400 per year, unlimited cart fees. The fees for social and sport members are lower....I don't recall what they are. Non resident monthly dues are further discounted. There is also a yearly food/beverage minimum..$600 per year for residents, $200 per year for non residents..or thereabouts. I am not aware the fees vary by community within St James. Some builders will pay all or part of your initiation fee as a sales incentive, and I am told that some resales allow for the "transfer" of membership at low or no cost. I may be mistaken on that last point.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:17 PM

79 posts, read 99,615 times
Thanks, WVNomad.

Can you use your own cart, or do you need to use theirs? At those prices, you could justify owning your own.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
Thanks, WVNomad.

Can you use your own cart, or do you need to use theirs? At those prices, you could justify owning your own.
Don't know the answer to that one.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:10 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
Use of private carts is not permitted according to club rules.

My Membership Dues and Golf fees schedule is a couple of years old.

I am pretty sure initiation fees into the the clubs is the same for everyone now or 20k. If you want to pay 30k you get 80% back when you leave the clubs. There are some grandfathered cases where membership is tied to property ownership but they may not grant 'Signature Membership'. An upgrade to Signature may be 10k depending on the case.

Once you get past the initiation fee the you pay monthly dues. The dues vary depending on the type of membership.

Signature Golf 507 month (family)
Signature Golf 375 month (single)
Signature Golf (single) and Tennis (single) 462 month
Signature Sport (Tennis) 205 month (single or family)
Signature Social 165 month (single or family)

Cart fees are 23/player or an annual fee of 2235 for unlimited use.

There is fee schedule for residents (non golf members), guests etc that varies from 65 to 100.

If you are a serious golfer and play 2 or more times a week, its probably worth it.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:01 PM

383 posts, read 746,407 times
I think the membership where you get 80% of the upfront fee back is $40K and there is a waiting period to get it refunded.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:56 AM

11 posts, read 10,021 times
To change the topic slightly, is this a gated community?

My wife and I are in town (Oak Island rental) scoping out Southport and the area for retirement in a few years. Would like to see St. James just to know what it's all about, although my wife and I are not golfers, so I doubt it would be a fit for us. Just like to know the options.

Can you just drive around, or do you need access somehow? Saw the place driving by at 9:00 last night; too tired to stop and look. Really don't want to sit through a presentation just for a quick drive-by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina