U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 01:39 PM

111 posts, read 208,473 times

Advertisements

Here on Oak Island I lose the Direct TV signal during severe local thunderstorms, maybe for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the storms severity.

I'm sure it's the same in St James.

Ron W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:53 PM

109 posts, read 103,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Here on Oak Island I lose the Direct TV signal during severe local thunderstorms, maybe for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the storms severity.

Ron W
We used to have DirectTV, and had a similar experience. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year the weather would be severe enough to disrupt the signal for 10-15 at a time. I was pretty happy with DirectTV but when we had it, you were not able to get the local ABC, NBC, and CBS affiliates as part of your subscription....I believe that has changed now?

Old 12-08-2016, 02:13 PM

150 posts, read 238,159 times
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NC View Post
We had DISH for 25+ years in northwestern NJ. The signal was lost when the roof-mounted dish filled with heavy, wet snow. The signal resumed as soon as the sun came out long enough to melt the snow down to the level of the SNB. We also lost reception when heavy T-storms passed through, but only for 30 seconds to a minute at most.

Here in coastal North Carolina I have little worries about heavy snow (Yea!) and we have yet to have any signal interruption when storms roll through.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM

150 posts, read 238,159 times
Thanks Ron

Quote:

Ron W

Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
We used to have DirectTV, and had a similar experience. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year the weather would be severe enough to disrupt the signal for 10-15 at a time. I was pretty happy with DirectTV but when we had it, you were not able to get the local ABC, NBC, and CBS affiliates as part of your subscription....I believe that has changed now?
The local affiliates are available and in HD. There was a time when they where in SD.

Ron W

Old 12-08-2016, 04:00 PM

109 posts, read 103,048 times
Quote:
The local affiliates are available and in HD. There was a time when they where in SD.

Ron W
Clearly, I am showing my age!

Old 12-09-2016, 06:35 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,532,258 times
The State Port Pilot had a nice update on the status of the new access road to Middleton Boulevard, which will be called Maxwell Drive. Construction will be finished in early January, but it will likely be March at the earliest before its open for traffic:

"While Maxwell Drive is expected to be “substantially complete” by January 8, it will be some time—likely early March—before it is usable. The eastern terminus of Maxwell Drive will be at a gatehouse at the St. James Plantation boundary that is not yet built. Also work remains to be done on the extension of St. James Drive to the gatehouse.

The gatehouse construction, and roadwork within St. James Plantation, is the responsibility of the developer."

St. James's 'Maxwell Drive' connector ready soon, but use must wait for new gatehouse - The State Port Pilot : News

Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,532,258 times
Quote:
I just read in the Star that Southport Alderman's are blocking that final upgrade to the Rte211/Long Beach Road overpass. The overpass would eliminate navigating through 3 sets of traffic lights going from Long Beach Rd and 211 and vice versa.

That was at the heart of the NCDOT plan to decrease the long delays at that intersection.

Apparently Soutport has 88 acres which they had planned to use for future development and some of that acreage intrudes into the property needed to make that overpass work.

Go figure....hard to understand, this project benefits Southport as well as Oak Island and St. James.

Ron W.
NCDOT has now released a revised plan that still calls for new Long Beach Road to bridge over Hwy. 211, but removes the on/off ramps that would have eliminated the shopping center proposed on the northwest corner of 211 and new Long Beach Road. Instead of the ramps, new Long Beach Road will be accessed north of 211 off old Long Beach Road, which will be extended further north, next to Lowe's home improvement, as well as the existing access south of 211.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:13 AM

Great info...thanks

Ron W

Old 12-19-2016, 03:21 AM

4,984 posts, read 2,233,487 times
"Due to the property owners of St. James providing a positive response to ATMC's recent survey, a decision has been made to install the ATMC fiber network across the entire property. Currently there is a team of engineers on the plantation designing the system and determining the plan for installation. The actual installation is planned to begin in mid-January. When details of the plan are released, we will let you know when they will be in your neighborhood."

Not sure what this service may cost but anything that offers competition to Time Warner is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina