U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM

2,740 posts, read 6,980,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
it is only going to get worse. they are building a convention center in wilmington and I live in the city. that is going to be a burden on the average tax payer. you know what the funniest part about st. james is? they actually went to wal mart and demanded that it be closed to the public once a week so that the residents of st. james could shop there without having to be among the locals. it might sound like a rumor, it isn't. I worked in st. james unfortunately.
jm, we are somewhat familiar with the changes that you are experiencing in the Wilmington area. In Central Jersey, we were once surrounded by potato and tomato (Heinz) fields, they have been replaced with mega-monster housing developments. With the influx of people (fueled by the 9-11 NYC exodus) our taxes have gone from 3K to 10K, per year (for a 50 y/o house).
We deal with the need for folks to move wherever they feel comfortable and if it is here.... so be it.
What I can't imagine is a group of folks moving to a new area and demanding such an outrageous request. WalMart designating a "shopping day" for a specific neighbourhood?
My question, Did this come from the residents of St. James? The new Mayor?
I'm guessing (hoping, praying) WalMart blew them off? Outrageous!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:42 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,591,399 times
Unfortunately, this is happening everywhere. I saw it happen in L.A., where the middle and upper middle classes are being driven out, because they can no longer afford housing. They're fleeing to where they can afford a better lifestyle, and it just happens to be other parts of the West and South.

I grew up in the South and am looking for a pre-retirement home in Coastal NC. We vacationed there when I was young, and I love both the Crystal Coast and OBX. I would like something that would be a solid rental during the summer, and my parents would use it during the winter. It would be a writer's retreat for me the rest of the time, until I'm ready to move there permanently. I don't golf, but want to be on or very near the beach and am willing to drive 45 minutes or so for major shopping, creative and cultural activities. I'm looking for a small, unpretentious, reasonably priced cottage with no amenities-- just a beautiful beach nearby. In other words, the opposite of St. James Plantation, which I didn't find appealing! I'm okay with a fixer, and a view would be sublime. People have suggested Emerald Isle, Oak Island, Waves, Topsail Beach and Beaufort, and that has become my preliminary short list. Any other ideas, jm and others? Thoughts? Comments? Guidance? I welcome-- and greatly appreciate-- them all.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 31,880 times
Default St James NC Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeker1 View Post
Can anyone give me your thoughts or information on St James planataion.
St. James borders Southport North Carolina. This web page shows statistical information about the real estate market, demographics, and market trends: Southport and St James NC 2007 Real Estate Analysis

Hope it helps!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:40 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,084,465 times
jerseyj, I am pretty sure that is was a request by the residents of st. james, and yes, wal mart refused! you do see a bit of that around here. people wanting to change the lifestyle down here. it's more subtle things though. for example, they have named portions of downtown wilmington after new york city. I am assuming this is a thing thought up by real estate agents to attract more retirees from that area. after all, they changed 5th street in downtown wilmgton to 5th avenue! I wish that they would make more of an effort to preserve this history of this town.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,458,176 times
Quote:
after all, they changed 5th street in downtown wilmgton to 5th avenue!
It looks to me like it still says "5th Street." "5th Avenue" is a new one to me.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:03 AM

take a good look, it's 5th ave.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,458,176 times
Quote:
take a good look, it's 5th ave.
We're pretty far offtopic here.. but according to New Hanover County, the City of Wilmington, and North Carolina state DOT, it is officially called "5th Street". It is unclear to me where you're getting your information from.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 AM

according to a lot of things it is called 5th street. drive down market street towards downtown and look at the street sign at the intersection. it is probably just a specific part of 5th. it probably becomes 5th street again further away from downtown. I took the downtown trolley tour last summer and the tour guide joked about it. that was the first time I even noticed it.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 30,637 times
Default We're coming to North Carolina

jmarquise,

You sure do spend a lot of time trying convince us yankees not to move in next door. It's not working out all that well so far, is it? If you don't mind, I would like to golf all year and get a break from my 12g a year taxes on Long Island. Tell me again how snobby and expensive it is there. I can't wait

Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 36,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeker1 View Post
JM that's what I am lookin for! A no nonsence opinion. If not St James, then where in that area?
i would check out the whole 211 corridor they will be building huge strip mall by midway road off of 211 and also a bridge to oak island that will get you faster to the beaches there. i checked that whole area my favorites are winding river plantation with todays economy you can get a nice lot for80,000 with a pond in the back. it water acess and golf community. also much cheaper is river run plantation off of sunset harbor road my god its beautiful in there you cannot cut your trees down so the land is not cleared cut like most of these communities it has a pool bike trails small boat ramp and a great fishing pier . go explore and check it all outdues are 450.00 a year compare to st james which are close to 900.00 plus your golf membership
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina