U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM

192 posts, read 166,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
A point to remember is that it is not a St James "problem" it is the same almost anywhere in North and South Carolina.
Very true - you will find the same almost anywhere in a coastal or island environment - at least in the warmer climes.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever - this thread just surpassed three thousand posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 05:19 PM

794 posts, read 1,646,908 times
I had to look up Apropos... I thought it was the owner of a Greek Diner in Bayonne.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:19 PM

383 posts, read 746,969 times
If you are going with a crawl space, you need encapsulation to keep the moisture out. The crawl space should also be on a slab. Remember, many homes with crawl spaces have on of the air handlers in that area (instead of in the attic for homes built on a raised slab) so having a dry, moisture free space will increase the life of these mechanicals.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:39 PM

30 posts, read 26,668 times
Hi everyone. Do any of you guys have Sprint for your cell phones? How is the reception for calls? I have read some reviews saying the Southport area is horrible and my wife is switching us over to Sprint from Verizon without checking. Hate to have this issue when we move down in the Fall. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:02 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,389 times
Everyone down here has Verizon or switch to Verizon.....Maybe not everyone but everyone I know down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysteve661 View Post
Hi everyone. Do any of you guys have Sprint for your cell phones? How is the reception for calls? I have read some reviews saying the Southport area is horrible and my wife is switching us over to Sprint from Verizon without checking. Hate to have this issue when we move down in the Fall. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 AM

4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Open Signal is a web site where users report signal strength of their phone via an app.

This link is for Sprint.

https://opensignal.com/networks/usa/sprint-coverage

You will probably have to drag the map to the Southport area but in general, there are a lot more 'weak' signals than there are 'strong' with Sprint.

Below the map are numerous other carries, select one, then drag the map back to Southport and check reported signal strengths for that carrier.

Verizon in general is pretty solid most ever where in the area though there are a few 'dead spots'.

The maps are updated fairly often the last time being mid December 2016.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:42 AM

109 posts, read 103,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Open Signal is a web site where users report signal strength of their phone via an app.

This link is for Sprint.

https://opensignal.com/networks/usa/sprint-coverage

You will probably have to drag the map to the Southport area but in general, there are a lot more 'weak' signals than there are 'strong' with Sprint.

Below the map are numerous other carries, select one, then drag the map back to Southport and check reported signal strengths for that carrier.

Verizon in general is pretty solid most ever where in the area though there are a few 'dead spots'.

The maps are updated fairly often the last time being mid December 2016.
Thanks for this....for what it is worth, I currently have T-Mobile, and have found the service within St James to be pretty spotty. The map/link you posted is consistent with what we experienced. We had anticipate changing our service to Verizon based on conversations with folks who live/work in or around St James. Maybe Sprint might be worth a look too based on the map.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:45 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,546,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysteve661 View Post
I live in Southport and had Sprint a few years ago. Signal was terrible and I switched to a Verizon MVNO which is much better. YMMV.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 AM

192 posts, read 166,204 times
I brought AT&T with me when I relocated from NJ. My wife has Verizon and kept that service down here. Both are OK, but don't expect NY Metro type of coverage. That makes sense since the carriers infrastructure is mapped to population and usage and there are a lot of low density areas.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:47 AM

30 posts, read 26,668 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Wife and I are down there March 3rd and 4th for color selection with Logan Homes so will see what kind of reception we get around SJP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina