U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM

18 posts, read 28,771 times

Advertisements

Great tx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Just checked the weather. Why is Wilmington 9 warmer than Southport, 72 vs 63. It is a very cold and freezing rain 30.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:42 AM

1,895 posts, read 1,427,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyCat View Post
I want to put in wood but there is a huge difference in wood, engineered wood, and laminate or vinyl. I have already put a lot of $ in to the kitchen, up and down bathroom, and do not want another major expense. Can I still sell and be competitive without full expensive hardwood?
We did all hardwood flooring prior to selling, also did all new appliances and renovated Master Bath with an all new tiled shower. New owners tore up the flooring (didn't like Oak).....replaced all the Appliances (wanted SS) and turned the Master Shower into a Stacked Washer / Dryer.......as long as the check cleared, they could do what they wanted, not my home anymore....although my Wife was peed. IMO, made the place more marketable, and stood out among others with the Hardwood and other improvements.....full price offer, no contingencies.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 AM

133 posts, read 89,029 times
I'll pass on some info I learned while living in Wilmington,NC 8 years before moving back to NY.
Here are some questions to ask before buying a home in NC.
1-Are the home plans approved by a licensed architect or engineer?-My home was not and had "issues".
2-What is ground below the house and history of what was there before.
A structural engineer told me St James was built on a garbage dump.
And Compass Point was built on what used to be wet, wooded area, they have a habit of clearing land, burning the brush and digging drainage ditches to drain excess water,then all of a sudden you have a new development.
Good luck

Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 AM

1,895 posts, read 1,427,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessyankee View Post
I'll pass on some info I learned while living in Wilmington,NC 8 years before moving back to NY.
Here are some questions to ask before buying a home in NC.
1-Are the home plans approved by a licensed architect or engineer?-My home was not and had "issues".
2-What is ground below the house and history of what was there before.
A structural engineer told me St James was built on a garbage dump.
And Compass Point was built on what used to be wet, wooded area, they have a habit of clearing land, burning the brush and digging drainage ditches to drain excess water,then all of a sudden you have a new development.
Good luck
WHOA !....never heard that....good to know if its fact

Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 AM

6,592 posts, read 3,944,200 times
Quote:
Just checked the weather. Why is Wilmington 9 warmer than Southport, 72 vs 63. It is a very cold and freezing rain 30.
The ocean temperature is about 55 degrees right now. Locations closer to the water will be cooler. In the fall, its the other way around as the water stays warmer and the temps are higher closer to the ocean.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 AM

6,592 posts, read 3,944,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
WHOA !....never heard that....good to know if its fact

St. James was not formerly a "garbage dump". And virtually all of Brunswick County can be considered wet, wooded land. I'm not sure how one builds a house with "clearing the land".

Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM

143 posts, read 227,066 times
When the wind is from the south or southwest the air temperature is heavily influenced by the ocean. So in this case the ocean is relatively cool (58 degrees), as the airmass has a chance to move over land it warms.

Yesterday is was about 64 in Southport and 84 in New Bern and 80 in Raleigh.

I missed BC1960's post. Good point about the ocean water keeping us warmer in the fall.

Quote:

Old 02-13-2017, 05:41 PM

143 posts, read 227,066 times
Just to add to BC1960's post -- If you look around ar much of SJP you will notice the trees are planted in rows like corn. Much of SJP along with a lot of eastern NC were planted by the paper companies for pulpwood. I did hear that there was a small garbage dump somewhere in SJP, not sure where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
St. James was not formerly a "garbage dump". And virtually all of Brunswick County can be considered wet, wooded land. I'm not sure how one builds a house with "clearing the land".

Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 PM

So excited to visit Sat. The 25th. I plan to see 6 homes some resales, some new builds, also would like to get a good grip inn the particular neighborhoods, see the clubhouses, and beach house, and Southport. Any other ideas for two days. Visited Wilmington in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina