U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM

35 posts, read 34,336 times

Advertisements

thanks, ditchoc.

On another note, we are thinking of purchasing a lot and I've heard of people getting soil and tree evaluations on their lots. I've never heard that done where we live now. Can anyone tell me why these are needed and who does them? It would be something I guess we'd want to have done during due diligence.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 PM

4,985 posts, read 2,235,360 times
I'm not so sure about soil and tree evaluation, I guess it would not hurt. I guess its possible the soil condition could impact the foundation though I have never heard of anyone having that kind of issue. The state of NC department of agriculture will evaluate soil samples for pH and such for healthy grass, shrubs and so on. They do it for free but I do not think it is necessary unless you are a super gardener. Not to mention, construction is going to rip away a lot of top soil for the foundation etc.

Trees I might understand, especially if you are planning on a lot of landscaping. There are a lot of pine trees in the area and between the contractor and the POA, they do not like you to cut down any trees other than those necessary to build the house. I don't care for pine trees that much for a variety of reasons including snapping in high winds. Several pines in the area have pine beetles, have been struck by lighting, have broken out tops and so on. Having these types of trees evaluated and approved by the POA to remove may be easier and less expensive during construction rather than later on.

As far as a lot, Be aware of set backs. Some property lines have a 15 foot, some 20, some 30 foot etc. Any home you build has to fit inside the set backs. Be aware of utilities, where they are and most importantly, any drainage issues. Make sure the lot is not a low spot. There are a few lots in SJP that collect water simply because they are in a low spot and do not drain well. If you can, talk with neighbors around the lot you are interested in and ask them if there are any water or drainage issues. You may find out more than a sales agent will tell you. Don't be afraid to come down and visit during a rainy spell. SJP has an excellent storm water run off system, that is a large part of what all the ponds are for, and it is being improved all the time. But, it is the coast, in a low lying, marshy area and there are limits. Just use common sense, be inquisitive and like so many, I think you will find SJP a great place to live.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:40 PM

49 posts, read 65,220 times
Typical building contract includes bringing in soil ( mine anticipates 10 truck loads) to level off the pad for the home. It will also provide that soil needs to be able to sustain 2000 psf weight for footings. I was told by a few builders that they have not had major issues meeting this standard but put it in standard contracts to protect them from liability. Agree with wisdom of DITCHOC that the few things you should do is check FEMA website to ck in flood zone and walk the property after a rain storm. Also lot will have a limitation on how much house and hardscape you can put on the property ( to have substantial permeable soil and limit runoff to neighbors) and that can vary depending on section of SJP. For example, i have a 22k square foot lot and have the same restrictions as neighbors with smaller 14k sf. So a larger lot may not necessarily let you build a larger house. If your looking at a lot in a section that is substantially built out then recommend you call ( or visit) and ask the neighbors about any standing water or if they had soil issues when they built there home. There are some older postings in this blog about historic use of some sections that could raise environmental issues but I've not seen any evidence or heard of anyone having an issue. For the most part, SJP and a good portion of Brunswick county coast were tree farms. I'm in early stages so others may be wiser.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:25 PM

35 posts, read 34,336 times
ok-thanks. Not a lot of neighbors around the area- but it is heavily wooded. We haven't had much rain lately so a bit hard to determine problems with that. I am working with a builder and having him check the different lots we are interested in. Since he has built lots of homes in SJP he is familiar with all the set backs and particulars of the neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure we will be joining you all in SJP later this year or early next year depending on how long it takes to build.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 PM

76 posts, read 91,445 times
In retirement golf will be super important. When visiting St James on the Discovery package which course(s) should I play? Please rank based on quality and course conditions.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 05:56 AM

153 posts, read 146,246 times
Default News on SJP gate to Middleton Blvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The State Port Pilot had a nice update on the status of the new access road to Middleton Boulevard, which will be called Maxwell Drive. Construction will be finished in early January, but it will likely be March at the earliest before its open...
Any news, such as planned or estimated opening date or if a name has been given to the new entrance?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times
Went by on Sunday, the gate house is 80 % complete, "shouldn't" be more than a few + - weeks to open.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM

151 posts, read 238,644 times
According to the POA there is an opening ceremony Friday, March 24th at 2:00 pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Went by on Sunday, the gate house is 80 % complete, "shouldn't" be more than a few + - weeks to open.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:44 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,235,360 times
St James Drive extension Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on 24 March. Bruce Maxwell to be honored. I'm sure teh mayor, POA, fire department, etc. will all be there. I have seen reference a couple of times where the new new entrance is being called the 'Grove Gate'.

Related to the opening of Grove gate, Polly Gully bridge will be closed. Probably within days of Grove gate opening. Construction will begin to replace pilings, guardrail and elevating the bridge a small amount. This work will probably take about a month. A lane on the bridge will remain accessible for emergency vehicles and personnel responding to emergencies only.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 7,678 times
NYSteve661:
With Logan just make sure you check and recheck what they do. We were supposed to have solid wood doors and they slipped in a hollow core. Our dual front door was mismatched and they refused to replace it! They laid shower tile in the MBA and refused to correct it. Our slab was somewhat uneven (where a marble would roll across the room) but good enough for them. There was miscommunication between the very pleasant design/sales folks and the actual builders. Once they have your final check it is mostly over. We would very much recommend that you consider using a home inspector to ride them during the process!
Note-by the way that they are a bit cheap by not informing you that the toilette handles will not match the bathroom hardware!
We like our Logan built home, but learned they are no so responsive when they have your final check.
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina