U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 05:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 2,235,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyCat View Post
Is St. JAMES doing anything special to prepare for the hurricane
Just monitoring conditions. Not expecting much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:56 AM

153 posts, read 146,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
At least part of that land has not yet been annexed by the Town of St James. It is part of St James but falls under the jurisdiction of Brunswick County, not the Town of St James... I think annexation is coming very soon.
StarNews, 9/12/2017, "St. James will annex 400 acres into town limits

Google MyMap showing the tracts that are to be annexed

Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 30,634 times
What does this mean for St. James?

Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,538,043 times
Quote:
It will be bigger.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,235,360 times
Quote:
Well, SJP is now bigger.

The town of St James now has direct input over some aspects of development of these properties.

It seems the biggest controversy was over multi family or condo development and where it might be. In these areas, the various requirements were established before there was a town and it seems the developer asked that requirements established Pre-Town be grandfathered in thought they may not exactly match current development 'ideals' or guidelines.

Though the 'devil is in the details' as they say, I get the overall impression the town will now have some say so over development in these new areas and the developer is doing a pretty fair job of balancing profits with community aesthetics. You can certainly drive around the plantation and see for yourself that pretty high standards have always been maintained.

Most of the above property is located near or in 'The Reserve' that typically boasts larger, more expensive homes. I think a few people fear 'condos next door' will degrade their home value or community perception of being 'up-scale'. There are some that say 'The Reserve' was to be even more exclusive within an already exclusive community with its own exclusive amenities the developer has failed to deliver. The potential of multifamily units anywhere nearby is one more failure on that promise.

I can't say for sure, there probably will be another multi family area in these 400 acres somewhere but I suspect it will be limited and have little or no effect on other properties.

Over the next 5 to 10 years, SJP and the area around it will change dramatically with 'build out', the widening of 211 and associated businesses that are bound to spring up just outside the gates. It is good that residents remain alert to changes and question them. It helps keep everyone honest helps make inevitable changes fit the best best interest of the most people.

I hear a lot of things. Overall I think SJP is pretty darn nice and with its history, I have serious doubts the developer will do anything serious to screw it up.

Bottom line is I think St James will continue to grow and I feel optimistic about its future.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM

79 posts, read 99,734 times
They were starting to run out of room for new lots, so I think this is good news all around.

I was slightly concerned that there would be enough golfers to support all the courses, with a decline in golfing nationwide, and perhaps this will help support the courses and other amenities with more to draw upon. On the other hand, with about 99% single family homes currently, you don't want to substantially alter the nature of the community by building a ton of condo's, either, which would likely attract more part-time residents.

This will be interesting to watch develop, no pun intended. It seems that the family that owns SJP has sought to honor their father's commitment to SJP so far. Realistically, in today's economy, no one could afford to build SJP from scratch to duplicate the level of amenities. That is one of the reasons it remains such an attractive area to potential buyers.

Steve

Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM

81 posts, read 158,310 times
Default Vandalism on the Pickleball Courts?

Hi all. I am a non-resident property owner in SJP. This morning, I received the following email. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this info on so many levels. The thought of vandalism, of any sort, is upsetting - especially in a gated community.

But pickleball courts? Really? Images of disgruntled tennis players swinging their racquets or angry croquet players waving their mallets.

Hoping this is an isolated incident.

Vandalism on the Pickleball Courts

Due to vandalism on the pickleball courts over the last two weeks, the pickleball courts will be closed on Thursday, September 21 and Friday, September 22 in order for the necessary repairs to be made. We appreciate your understanding as we complete these repairs and will reopen the pickleball courts on Saturday, September 23.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:21 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,538,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanevada View Post
Hi all. I am a non-resident property owner in SJP. This morning, I received the following email. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this info on so many levels. The thought of vandalism, of any sort, is upsetting - especially in a gated community.

But pickleball courts? Really? Images of disgruntled tennis players swinging their racquets or angry croquet players waving their mallets.

Hoping this is an isolated incident.

Vandalism on the Pickleball Courts

Due to vandalism on the pickleball courts over the last two weeks, the pickleball courts will be closed on Thursday, September 21 and Friday, September 22 in order for the necessary repairs to be made. We appreciate your understanding as we complete these repairs and will reopen the pickleball courts on Saturday, September 23.
I guess Tony Soprano wanted to send a message to those annoying pickleball players.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:05 PM

79 posts, read 99,734 times
For those who have built or own homes in SJP, what are you doing, if anything, for water treatment? Water softener system? Whole house water filtration of some kind?

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Steve

Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times
Yes, like many places the water quality leaves a bit to be desired ....... there are several companies that address this in the area .... we used https://www.kinetico.com/, very happy with the water and there service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina