U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times

Advertisements

Alrighty.... had breakfast this AM at Tommy Thompsons with two of the nicest people from St James that we met online a while ago. Very nice, friendly helpful.... just like everyone we have met here so far. Took the drive over to Wilmington, just about 40 minutes to over the bridge into town. Not a bad trip in any way, clean, brand new divided highway all the way, no lights, smooth trip. Drove around through the shopping area on Oleander and South College Road..... immense amount of shopping centers, mall, everything under the sun, Sears, Belks ( like Macy's ) and just about every other store, restaurant that you can think of.... just miles of them, car dealer, etc.

Continued on over past the Landfall Plantation and onto Wrightsville Beach. It's a nice, upscale beach town, nicer / more upscale than Myrtle Beach. Turned around and headed back to Southport, driving up and down Wrightsville Beach was a nice experience, once was enough, see no reason to go back. St James has everything that we can get there, beach, pools, golf, on premise marina with restaurant. No need to go over to Wrightsville for anything, I can have it all at St James.... I believe that was why they designed it that way.

Weather is warmer today, about 60 degrees with scattered showers/sprinkles/misting. Had lunch at the Dead End Saloon ( has a website ), great place on the water at the marina in Southport. Right on the dock, with "icing glass type" curtains around the outside porch so we could sit "outside" with propane heaters taking the chill off the porch, quite nice as we chowed down and the heavy rains and heavy winds began to pelt the area at about 2PM. Very nice place, people inside and outside watching the games and having cocktails while protected from the rains.

Came back to the hotel to take a brief time out and clean up before going back to St james tonite for our last dinner at the Members Club.... leaving early tomorrow AM and heading back to Myrtle Beach airport to head home to NJ.

The Stones
Alrighty.... had breakfast this AM at Tommy Thompsons with two of the nicest people from St James that we met online a while ago. Very nice, friendly helpful.... just like everyone we have met here so far. Took the drive over to Wilmington, just about 40 minutes to over the bridge into town. Not a bad trip in any way, clean, brand new divided highway all the way, no lights, smooth trip. Drove around through the shopping area on Oleander and South College Road..... immense amount of shopping centers, mall, everything under the sun, Sears, Belks ( like Macy's ) and just about every other store, restaurant that you can think of.... just miles of them, car dealer, etc.

Continued on over past the Landfall Plantation and onto Wrightsville Beach. It's a nice, upscale beach town, nicer / more upscale than Myrtle Beach. Turned around and headed back to Southport, driving up and down Wrightsville Beach was a nice experience, once was enough, see no reason to go back. St James has everything that we can get there, beach, pools, golf, on premise marina with restaurant. No need to go over to Wrightsville for anything, I can have it all at St James.... I believe that was why they designed it that way.

Weather is warmer today, about 60 degrees with scattered showers/sprinkles/misting. Had lunch at the Dead End Saloon ( has a website ), great place on the water at the marina in Southport. Right on the dock, with "icing glass type" curtains around the outside porch so we could sit "outside" with propane heaters taking the chill off the porch, quite nice as we chowed down and the heavy rains and heavy winds began to pelt the area at about 2PM. Very nice place, people inside and outside watching the games and having cocktails while protected from the rains.

Came back to the hotel to take a brief time out and clean up before going back to St james tonite for our last dinner at the Members Club.... leaving early tomorrow AM and heading back to Myrtle Beach airport to head home to NJ.

The Stones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Cool Sunday night update from a fine Irishman

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

IN ON SUNDAY AND OUT ON MONDAY

That's right -- it took just 24 hours for a gal to sign up for the M2M and then
to send me the following email:
"Bill, please remove me from your list. Thanks, but I guess I'm not 'elderly'
enough for this. BTW, people who go to a hotel for a complimentary breakfast
buffet when they aren't staying there should be ashamed of themselves. Eating at
a buffet that is supplied at no extra charge for HOTEL PATRONS isn't free at all
-- it's stealing."
And that was it. Very nice note. I totally understand someone asking to be
removed from the list because they find the M2M boring, childish, etc. But, not
being "elderly" enough? I thought maybe this is some young chick and I checked
her out and believe me, she is no young chick. And did she think I was serious
when I wrote about getting the shuttle at the Sales Center to go get a "free"
breakfast? How would you like to live with someone with no sense of humor? She
does live alone.................................

SHOPPING

O. K., the other day I told "the wife" I was going downtown and she said can you
pick up a few things at Walmart for me, and then go to the ABC store for a
bottle of KAHLUA. Sure. This is the list I went into Walmart with: WHEAT CHEX,
HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH DRESSING -- DRY, MIXED NUTS, COCONUT EXTRACT, DRIED APPLES,
GROUND NUTMEG, YOGURT COVERED RAISINS, and PEPPERMENT EXTRACT. Oy! Where the
hell is this stuff? It could take 5 or 6 hours to find all these items -- I
mean I have trouble finding milk and bread -- but yogurt covered raisins? I
looked like all the other guys in Walmart, pathetic looking, just wandering
around the store with their eyes glazed over, not even looking at their list
anymore, just going up and down the aisles, hoping maybe the items they were
looking for would somehow fall off the shelves into their carts. And try and
find someone to help you in Walmart - when you do find someone and ask them for
help, they tell you they don't work there, they are just taking inventory.
Finally, I found an employee who was restocking a shelf and I told her that I
really needed her help, I started weeping and said that I was at my wits end and
was considering suicide. This startled her and she jumped up, grabbed my
shopping list and found all the items I needed -- what a sweetheart. Gals, don't
send us for anything more difficult than milk and bread.
By the way, what I should have done was go the ABC store first, buy the KAHLUA,
open it, drink about 4 slugs and then go to Walmart. If I had done that, it
would not have helped me find any of that stuff, but I wouldn't have cared
whether I found it or not, and I would have been the happiest guy lost in
Walmart.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Some years ago I owned a couple of jewelry stores in Malls and our customers
were from different cultural and religious backgrounds, so I always said Happy
Holidays to them -- it was a friendly and safe expression. And this time of year
I still say "Happy Holidays" to folks, but I am a little nervous about saying
"Happy Holidays" in St. James. Last Christmas I had a woman jump all over me for
saying "Happy Holidays". She said that I should only say "Merry Christmas". She
said by not saying "Merry Christmas" that I am embracing the conspiracy against
Christians. WHAT? Is she nuts? I was stunned. I kind of felt left out -- no one
told me about this conspiracy -- I hate not being in on stuff. I asked her how
she knew about this conspiracy and she said she had learned about it on TV. I
thought that maybe she was kidding, but she was dead serious. What power some of
these TV commentators have!! After our conversation ended and we were parting,
she said, "Merry Christmas" and I said, "Happy Holidays" and when I looked back
she was twitching -- God, I love to do stuff like that. If you see me over the
next few weeks and I say "Happy Holidays" to you, please believe me when I tell
you that it is just a greeting that I feel comfortable saying -- I am not part
of a conspiracy against Christians, hell, some of my best friends are Christians
-- I think they are -- they go to Christian Churches. Maybe we all need to turn
off the noise from our TVs and lighten up a little. More than 30 years ago I
became part of a fellowship and one of their tenets is, "Live and let Live". Not
a bad way to go about your business.

POTPOURRI

Army -- Navy. What a great tradition this annual football game is. The game is
always fun and I love to see all the Cadets and Midshipmen in the stands. These
are some of the finest young men and woman in our country -- makes me proud.
Being a former Marine, I always root for Navy -- but nine Navy wins in a row? In
a way, I was kind of rooting for Army. Maybe Army will win next year.

Heisman Trophy -- The ballot for the Heisman voting states the winner should be
a player "whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with
integrity". Cam Newton won the award. When Newton played at Florida he was
arrested in connection with a stolen laptop and was involved in three academic
cheating incidents while there. INTEGRITY?

I have been listening to Christmas music for the past several weeks on the 40's
station on XM. They have been playing only Christmas music since before
Thanksgiving and, of course, most of what I hear are the standards by singers
like Perry Como, Andy Williams, Rosemary Clooney, Bing Crosby etc. But every so
often, I get to hear some of the artists that I had forgotten about -- how about
Brenda Lee singing, "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" -- with that great
rockabilly voice, or The Ronettes singing, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". I
don't know what it is but as I get older, I love listening to those old artists.

I had Veal Marsala at Players Grill last night and it was delicious. I was a
little anxious about ordering Veal because it is either great or a bust. The
first (and only) time I ordered it in FL, the Veal came to my table and it was
about 2 inches think. Oy! I thought I would give Players a chance and I'm glad
I did. If you like Veal, give Players a shot.

Brent Musburger -- is this guy 110 years old? He's been around forever and I
think he must have some dirt on the President of the Network because he has to
be the worst football announcer on TV yet he keeps working. He doesn't even
understand the game, but he gets to announce the biggest games each week. Go
figure.

A friend of mine was seeking advice about a Christmas present for "his wife". He
said he didn't think he would get her any gift this year because she did not use
what he gave her last year. I asked him what he gave her last year and he told
me it was an expensive iron. He said it is still in the box. I know this hurt
him a lot, because he is a very sensitive guy. Now here's the deal guys. Not all
our gals are domesticated nor are they trained properly about chores and if you
give them something like an iron or an extension ladder it won't be appreciated.
And they are probably too long in the tooth to retrain. So if that is the
situation you find yourself in, let me tell you what to do. Go to your bank and
get one of those Holiday Currency envelopes -- you know, the one with the
Christmas wreath on it. These currency envelopes are very handsome and they are
free so you won't be throwing away money on a Christmas card. Now pay attention,
it is very important to put a brand new bill in the envelope -- no used bills,
so when you are at the bank get a brand new $50 bill. Don't even think about
putting a $20 in the envelope -- you will look cheap. This I will guarantee you
-- if you give her the bank envelope with the brand new $50 bill inside you will
see her twitch. If "the wife" is twitchin' you are doing great. No need to thank
me for these tips.

Talk to you all next week -- oh, and by the way, Happy Holidays.

Bill McCormack

Old 12-12-2010, 06:46 PM

572 posts, read 1,413,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
We've been on the Oak Island beaches in April, July and August, visiting since 1989. I don't understand what you mean about "redneck" beach. I believe the person who originally divided up the island (Middleton?) meant for it to be a place where a working man could own a vacation place. The piers and the beaches always seem perfectly fine to us. I can't speak to the bar scene, we've never partaken.
One aspect of the area we've always liked is the chattiness of everyone--always ready to talk about something. We'll be heading down there in 2 years for retirement--St. James is lovely, but above our pocketbook.
Obviously "redneck" is a slang term referring to southern country type folks who are mildly educated, blue collar workers who speak funny, earn a modest income, drive pick up trucks and live in mobile homes. That's the definition I was referring to when I said Oak Island was the most redneck beach in NC. Go count the mobile homes for yourself. I'm not making this stuff up.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:49 PM

720 posts, read 1,491,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Hey Poodle, any idea where you might be looking?
That's a difficult one for us. We want to keep the price under $200K, and want a one floor ranch style. We have looked in Southport proper, South Harbour, and Carolina Place. Also river Run Plantation, which has a place to store boats/RV's, and is gated. DH wants to be close to the water, and I want a community feeling, not a lot of tourist traffic in the neighborhood.
We don't golf, are blue collar, travel a lot with our camper (27' TT)and are kind of quiet. We talk funny, too-- Wait! I just realized we may be rednecks!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 AM

Cool Rednecks

Hey Poodle, i have lived in 7 states on the East Coast and Mid-West and believe me, based on the definition of "Red Neck" on the forum every state i have lived in has Red Necks.

Keep the faith, you will find what you are lookin for down there.

Jim

Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 AM

471 posts, read 491,072 times
Stonecreek67, sure sounds like you accomplished a lot in a short time! I'm envious of your energy! In my three trips to St James, I've yet to set foot in Wilmington. Of course I've made my excursions during the spring and summer seasons. Between the golf and swimming pools it was an effort to get to Josephs! I didn't know about the Dead End Saloon near Josephs. It is now on my bucket list! Did you happen to sample the food? I agree with your Ocean Ridge review. I did like the clubhouse but never ventured to the beach. Thanks for your trip commentaries!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 PM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
canalslb.... home now, checked on the lot and dog park while there, visited all four model homes next door, grass still intact. Re the dead End Saloon, great place right on the water, great menu of pub food and seafood, nice mussels dish with white wine sauce, multiple tv's for games, hopping on weekends.... also, a brand new Irish Pub with food just opened in the shopping center behind Kerr's Drugs on N. Howe Street, it's called "Slaints", also has a sports bar type atmosphere and outside seating with those big propane heaters.... which came in handy this wekend.

Also visited Port City Java this AM before leaving town, on Howe Street, one block from the water, coffee shop plus sandwiches / breakfast sandwiches, very quaint. All in all a fantastic trip.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 PM

907 posts, read 1,534,357 times
Stoney, can't thank you enough for your insight. Always thought Ocean Ridge was top shelf but you brought up some excellent points and observations. Now for the true test, what downsides did you hear or observe? I am sure that there might be some "mild" complaints like keeping up with the Jones's, cliques, fashion police on housing, missing family and friends back home, etc. I know when I went through the real estate agent complained about the speed limit and enforcement. Did you drink the St James "Kool Aid" or was there something that raised a question? By the way headed to Newark, NJ next week to see my Dayton Flyers and Seton Hall. Oh to be back in NJ!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Hey Caco54, Did you graduate from Seton Hall? What year?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 PM

776 posts, read 1,529,758 times
My dad and his fiance bought a lot in St. James and are looking to build and move within two years. They love it there. They're both in their mid to late 60's from Jersey, and it seems to fit them just right. All I know is that they're in Woodlands Park section and they're looking to build a model home called Edisto Island from Kent Homes. Seems like a really nice model and layout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina