U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,535,509 times

Advertisements

So, I guess the answer is the courses are essentially closed to "outsiders" currently. Definitely a point of concern for the future of SJP. But the question goes back to who controls access past the gate? Not Troon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
OK BC, now we all understand that you don't live here, you don't belong to the clubs and do not contribute anything financially or otherwise except lobbing hand grenades designed to upset people that do actually live here and pay the bills.

So for the benefit of those who actually pay the bills and have an actual interest in St James and the question on the table at the moment .... "outside play" does not mean individuals, it allows groups and / or organizations to schedule a day of play and lunch for their group for a fee .... which, once again, contributes to the financial well being of the clubs.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 AM

79 posts, read 99,615 times
Stoney, that makes sense and thanks for the explanation. So if a Rotary club wants to book the course for a group of 40 to play and have lunch, that can be arranged. But John Doe can't just call up and book a tee time. And since there is no Resort or Hotel property on site, we will not have temporary guests playing like at Reynolds Plantation (or whatever their new name is).

BC might be asking as a potential buyer, to be fair. I did not read his request as a hand grenade, but I never served in the military, either.

Steve

Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Thanks for confirming that the courses are currently essentially closed to outside play. I predict this will be a huge issue moving forward at SJP.

No hand grenades being lobbed here btw. Others are asking the question too.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 AM

81 posts, read 158,199 times
Thanks for posting the FAQ. I am a non-resident property owner with a social membership. We do not play golf but our lot backs up to the Players Club driving range and has easy access to the Regency gate. I appreciate the discussion on outside play as it potentially impacts my quality of life in SJP, once we move in (2021 ish).

I am hoping the meetings will include Skyping so I can listen in from here.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
"Out side play' is some what of a relative term.

There are tournaments for out side groups. During the summer, buses from various colleges appear at courses as well as women's tournaments etc.

A guest of a member can play most any time with that member present.

I am not a golf member but as a resident, I can play most any time.

All assuming you are willing to pay the price.

As far as controlling the gates, the POA does. The POA pays security.

As long as members get preference and their play time is not seriously affected, I'm not so sure its a big deal as long as it keeps membership costs down.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM

I foresee a battle between Troon's desire to increase revenue by opening up access to the courses, and the POA's desire to keep access restricted.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 12,705 times
I do think Stoney is spot on. The meeting is around the corner and whether a current owner or definite future owner things can not be stopped. I do still wonder about Seaside Wellness and the Beach Club, as they were not mentioned as part of the sale to Troon. Our in house St James real estate agent told us over 270k rounds of golf are played every year, so clearly with just the residents and the few outside tournaments there is already a very healthy amount of play on the courses. If you do know anything about Seaside and Beach Club that would be helpful.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:29 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,234,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtoncsoon View Post
I do think Stoney is spot on. The meeting is around the corner and whether a current owner or definite future owner things can not be stopped. I do still wonder about Seaside Wellness and the Beach Club, as they were not mentioned as part of the sale to Troon. Our in house St James real estate agent told us over 270k rounds of golf are played every year, so clearly with just the residents and the few outside tournaments there is already a very healthy amount of play on the courses. If you do know anything about Seaside and Beach Club that would be helpful.
The health clubs were mentioned a number of times in the original letter.

As far as outside access. Though it is limited, it is just barely. The number of contractors, service people, delivery, guests etc that enter every day is significant. Then there are 'paying guests'. Those are people that come for the weekend and stay in condo lock outs and other facilities are rented out by owners much like a beach house. There are homes rented out long term by people that just want to live in the area and by people building in SJP. Some marketing strategies at the sales office offer a free round of golf if you take the SJP tour and these people often stay as guests on property.

Bottom line is there are a lot of people that go in and out of SJP that are not owners on a daily basis. A portion of those get access to the amenities on a guest basis. It is nothing new. Its been going on since the beginning I am sure.

There are a lot of statistics on golf course play, how many per day, how close should tee times be etc. This is Troons business. It should be second nature to them. As long as it does not interfere with the activities of paying members beyond what might be considered normal or average, I do not see a problem.

Anyway, its just all speculation. No one has said anything about allowing outside play at this point. You may as well argue about golf rights on Mars. Don't worry about it until you need to.

Last edited by ditchoc; 01-10-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM

28 posts, read 26,287 times
I agree that the words "sport clubs" means all of them including SWC. As for beach club, that is 100% owned and run by the POA and has nothing to do with Troon. Tommys will continued to be leased to Troon and not sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina