U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 5,753 times

Advertisements

Was there a POA meeting last week where additional info regarding Troon’s purchase of the golf courses was communicated? If there was, is there a website where that info may be available to view? I’m not a St. James resident but I am a prospective one attempting to do some due diligence before investing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM

79 posts, read 99,734 times
Any update on the HOA meeting for the Troon sale?

Coming down in March, set to interview 4 builders. Barker & Canaday; Legacy by Bill Clark; Kent; and Tru Homes. Any additional feedback or recent experience with any and all appreciated. I have read and monitored the whole thread previously.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 02-16-2018, 06:09 PM

More importantly, please give me the scoop on Mr. P's Bistro in Southport. Want to take the Boss out to dinner, and want to make sure she is going to be happy with choice. Highly rated on TripAdvisor.

Thanks

Steve

Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,538,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
More importantly, please give me the scoop on Mr. P's Bistro in Southport. Want to take the Boss out to dinner, and want to make sure she is going to be happy with choice. Highly rated on TripAdvisor.

Thanks

Steve
Its excellent! Our favorite "nice" restaurant in S'port.

Last edited by BC1960; 02-17-2018 at 05:03 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 AM

3,810 posts, read 9,765,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Its excellent! Our favorite "nice" restaurant in S'port.
Good to know. We were pretty disappointed with Oliver's. Food was meh. I had heard such such good things and expected a really good dinner for over $100 (2 of us).

Old 02-18-2018, 05:54 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,538,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Good to know. We were pretty disappointed with Oliver's. Food was meh. I had heard such such good things and expected a really good dinner for over $100 (2 of us).
Interesting. I've always had very good food at Oliver's, but i haven't been in several months. The owner died a few months ago, I hope that hasn't caused a dropoff.

Ports of Call has great food too.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Anyone have anything to add to the builder inquiry above? Stoney and others have been absent lately...

Steve

Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM

81 posts, read 158,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
Anyone have anything to add to the builder inquiry above? Stoney and others have been absent lately...

Steve
I am a non-resident property owner. My husband and I have been thru two rounds of builder interviews. We have spoken to three of the four you listed. Itís been a while but you should be able to search the forum for my experiences.

Based on round one: Barker Canady builds beautiful custom homes. At the time, we felt they were a bit out of our price range.

Bill Clark and Kent are portfolio builders. That is, if you like what they offer (floor plans, fixtures, etc), you will get a nice home. We liked their floor plans but not what we felt was a limited selection of fixtures and finishes.

This may be TMI but for our second round, we spoke to some of the smaller non-SJPguild builders: CL Smith, southern comfort, Schmid, and True North. For us, these companies were a much better fit. We preferred speaking to the actual builder vs. a salesperson (some of which are a bit slimy).

YMMV

We have not made a firm decision yet. We are holding off on building for now as my retirement date is not until 2021.

Please share your experiences with the forum.

I hope this is helpful.

Lisa

Old 02-21-2018, 07:15 AM

I would be happy to report back after our trip down the SJP in March.

Steve

Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,235,360 times
I used Southern Comfort to build my home and was pleased.

The smaller company provided a showroom with a limited selection of finish materials. This was my third home I have built and I appreciated the convince. It was far easier than running around to several suppliers picking out materials. Being a smaller company, they can adapt and move on changes quickly if need be. They have considerable experience in SJP.

They have also built totally custom, million dollar homes on the waterfront in SJP and are not limited to their showroom choices.

They were OK with me being on site at any time and talking with contractors. They were amenable to small changes such a an outlet or switch with out a lot of complications. Larger changes were generally doable with discussion.

I found them easy to work with and reasonable. Steve, the owner, will quickly tell you, sure, OK, fine or yeah, if you want to pay for it.

Rik, the site manager, is something of a character but is super friendly and does a good job of staying on top of things.

I was on a fixed time schedule of six months and they came in on time with a 2,200 sq/ft home starting with an empty lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina